Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

May 8, 2011, 07:12 PM

Tuesday is the three week mark. I am just waiting for my credit card payment to go through and then I can take him to the vet for a check up. It should be through by Monday or Tuesday. I will update again after Owen sees the vet. He seems to be fine but I want to know for sure and do this right for him. He is still on his medication for the leg too so we are unsure if that is the reason why he is not limping.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 8, 2011, 07:17 PM

My cats (Rasputin, Kuro, Deborah, Little Debbie, and Dido) all woke up from their evening naps and wish Owen the best report ever when the doggy doc-doc checks him this week.
    Dogs Expert

May 12, 2011, 05:05 PM

Owen's update...

Okay we just got back from the vet. Owen is allowed gradually going for walks. We start with 3 10 min walks for 5days then build it up to 4 10 min walks etc etc. He is allowed a play date in 2 weeks time, in our yard so we can regulate the amount of exercise and intesity. If his limp comes back we are to stop everything and call her right away.
    His ears- one was excellent but the other one still had some gunk in it so he is on drops for that. We also have to clean his ear every 3 days(so we don't take the medicine out). He also has to have his feet bathed daily and dried very well. The rest of his coat is good.

HE LOST 3 POUNDS He is now 74 lbs.

Okay the official report for all you knowledgeable people and in case I said it wrong as well

Ears: Stay on reactine, Left ear cytology today 5-10yearst/hpf Canaural 15 ml was perscribed.

Skin and Hair coat- Less red in chin and coat areas. Feet are light pink with some black discharge between toes. Shampoo his feet daily(rinse well) for 7 days and then start decreasing the shampoos to the lowest effective timeframe for him.

Musculoskeletal- Recheck left hind today. He did not display anymore when I palpated the right and the left knee. Start increasing his activity (start with 3 10 min walks a day on leash, leashed on stairs as well). Over the next 2 weeks so that by the end he is at normal activity.

I can also start giving him flax seed oil and glucosimine. Those I can get at any human grocery store :) Though the glucosimine has to be the vergetarian one something in the other one the dogs can not digest as well.

I also asked about the price of surgery so I can start saving. It is between 1200 and 2000. Owen was a big sookie at the vet I have never seen him that vocal. I think it was because he got to go out of the house after 3 weeks of nothing. He was talking and whining to everyone in the vet office.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2011, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    Owen was a big sookie at the vet I have never seen him that vocal. I think it was because he got to go out of the house after 3 weeks of nothing. He was talking and whining to everyone in the vet office.
    Good for Owen! Thanks for the report, Susan. It sounds like things are on the upswing.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 12, 2011, 05:27 PM

I am so glad that he is mending. :)

Hugs to all of you. I know this has to wearing on everyone.
    Dogs Expert

May 13, 2011, 01:55 AM

Has anyone else noticed all of his problems are left side... Henry brought that up and I find it odd. His left ear was the worse of the two, his left front leg has the elbow displesia, his left rear leg had the latest problem.
    Thank you for the well wishes. He is doing good and at first on his walk he was pulling in excitement then he wanted to smell EVERYTHING.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owen listening to me only [ 7 Answers ]

Owen is doing very good with listening, to me at least. I can let him know what I want most times by just a look. I am unsure of how or why that works but it does. He knows if I snap my fingers and point to my side to come to me. That one is not going as well if he is distracted but we are...

Boredom and Owen [ 3 Answers ]

As most of you know Owen has elbow Dysplasia which limits his exercise. He can on average walk for about 20 min before limping. If he does too much one day it can carry over to the next day. For example when his friend Charlie comes over to play, you don't see the limp until AFTER the play date...

Owen graduated [ 3 Answers ]

Just to let people know Owen has graduated from his puppy class. I am so proud of my boy. I do wish I would have been able to attend one of the classes but hubby had to take him to all of them due to work. Kind of was a good thing as he was not listening to hubby as much as me. I have pics...

Owen limping [ 22 Answers ]

I am unsure if he needs to see a vet or not about this issue. I was out for a walk with him and noticed him limping, we were headed to the off leash park with another dog. I checked his feet and legs and he seemed fine. He would off and on make it a small limp then a big limp, to us it looked...

Owen has not finished his breakfast [ 15 Answers ]

Owen gets fed 3 times a day and it is now supper time but his breakfast is still their. He normally finishes his food all at once. I will say now that we have him off the Purina he does not gobble like he is starving. He has eaten approximately 1/2 of it. He is active, alert, drinking and...

View more questions Search