Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 03:26 PM
    Owen hurt himself
    I need to vent as I am sitting here crying. Owen had fallen while playing on the 19th. He seemed fine then but when I got home from work at 3am on the 20th he had a bad limp in the back leg. I remembered what Alty?(think it was you) told me what to do when Owen had the front paw limp. So I checked him over for signs of pain, and he did not react to me touching and moving his paw. So he went on rest, no stairs no walks etc. I also talked to Binx for advice.

Today it worsened and he would not even come to greet me. He just stayed in his kennel. So off to the vet we go.

She checked his leg and explained what she found. She offered X-Rays but what she found made sense and I thought the diagnosis was all right. I am not a doctor so I may have my explanation wrong. The back leg has tendons that join together the two bones to stabilize them. Owens is partially torn she could tell this as when moving the two bones she could feel a movement. There is a 50% risk of it going to the other leg due to him favoring the sore one. We also have to be cautious due to a full tear of it.

I am so scared as if it worsens the full tear is very expensive and I really can't afford it. I have talked with hubby and it will probably involve us having to rehome him so he can have the surgery. Starts crying more.

Please don't think I am heartless. I would sell everything I have to get it but I was told very very expensive. I am hoping the vets plan for recovery works. I am being sued in small claims court by one business and am just getting back to work from issues with my mental health.

Please please please pray that Owen recovers and it does not go to a full tear. I am so anxious, panic stricken right now. I love my boy but I WILL NOT let him suffer due to me not having money.

Okay for all you knowledgeable people here is the vet report:

Left Hind: highly suspicious of partial cranial cruciate tear; He has a cranial drawer in here. Discussed X-rays. Recommended 3 weeks of rest and anti inflammatories. Weight loss.

Owen is now going on adult food and his food is being cut back. We were feeding him 4 cups a day. He is 77lbs and she would like him to be between 65-70lbs. She said that will help with his joints as well because not as much weight on them. Thankfully she gave us his medication which was worth 150bucks. Found out also one ear had yeast infection in it.

So we came home with:
    No walks, jumping, climbing, stairs for 3 weeks.
    On leash when outside for pee breaks.
    When no one is around to be crated( we need to watch him as he does not understand the restrictions)
    Meloxicam 1.5mg/ml to be given 30kg once a day with food.
    Epi Otic 8oz ( to clean the ear with ) If that does not work by next week and still really filthy and smelly then he needs meds to help get rid of it.
    He is also to get one 10mg reactine to see if it helps with allergies.

I am requesting peoples good thoughts prayers etc for my boy. I also need to know if people have other advice that can help him with getting better.

Susan
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2011, 03:32 PM

Certainly in my thoughts.

My Rott ruptured her cruciate ligament about 6 years ago. The surgery was expensive (over $1,200), and the Vet told us there was no choice. I was in the yard with her when she stumbled and absolutely couldn't believe it when the Doctor told us it was a rather severe injury.

She had the surgery. Within a month she ruptured the cruciate ligament in her other hind leg. Another expensive surgery.

Recovery was long for her but she did make a complete recovery. We had 3 dogs and it was very difficult to keep her quiet and kenneled when the others were loose. She didn't understand it.

Fingers crossed that surgery will not be necessary.

In the meantime does your area have an emergency veterinary care fund? There is one in my area. When my husband died I requested that people donate to the fund. When people cannot afford Vet treatment they apply for an interest-free loan OR a grant or plain old free money which goes directly to the Vet who provides the treatment. Treatment is at the Vet's cost, the Vets who participate are very generous and the fund helps people keep their animals.

It's a thought -
    Dogs Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 03:35 PM

Thank you judy I will check that out now. I would rather find out before I need it if it is available

I forgot to say that I would offer the dog to the breeder first as it does say that in the contract. I only want my boy to be okay.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2011, 03:44 PM

I know you love your dog. Yes, see what options are available now, before you need them.

Fingers still crossed.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 03:55 PM

Mogrann, I'm so sorry.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. I wish I had suggestions on alternatives, but I really don't. I wish I had the money to help, but I don't have that either. :(

I know how much you love owen. I'm hoping that it all works out and he can stay with you.

Big hugs to you dear, and to Owen too.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 04:06 PM

Judy you say 1200 for the surgery? I talked to hubby and we could do that.. To me very very very expensive is over 5000 bucks. I would have to sell stuff and not pay some bills but who of us would not do that for our dog. You have brought me some hope.

Alty Thank you I am trying to keep telling myself he will be okay if we follow the vets orders very strictly. I am trying to ignore the negative aspects. As you can see I wrote the first post when I was very very emotional. Alty I am not asking for money but thank you.

I have told everyone in the house they need to follow the instructions to the letter, no exceptions!

Susan
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2011, 04:26 PM

I just went and checked my records and, yes, the first leg was $1,200 and the second was $1,400. That included the surgery, overnight before surgery, pain medication. My dog was 85 pounds (about the size of yours). My Vet is very active in pet rescue (which is how I got to know him) but if he gave me a price break it would not have been very large. Did your Vet give you any indication of the cost of surgery?

I did take a week off work each time she had surgery to stay home with her.

(Typing with fingers crossed)
    Dogs Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 04:32 PM

Binx just texted me the same question. I was so anxious at hearing the news and all the info on what I had do I forgot to ask the vet. I will be calling tomorrow. Owen right now is laying at Henry's feet and watching him. He does not understand why he can't be downstairs and sleep in our bed. I can imagine at the end of the 3 weeks he will be so wound up with energy the first walk will be hard on me. I have made a decision to think positive and give Owen positive healing thoughts.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 04:43 PM

Our poodle had back issues. It was either a very expensive surgery, medication for life, or a month of keeping him confined, not allowing him to jump, walk, nothing. If none of those options worked, he'd be paralyzed.

We opted for option two because we couldn't afford the vet bills.

It was not an easy month. He was still very young, energetic, used to going for daily walks, running around. I was only 12 at the time, he was 1.

We managed to keep him immobile for the month. It wasn't easy. In the end, it worked.

Mogrann, he lived to be 18 years old, almost 19, and he never had issues with his back again.

I have a good feeling about this. You are meant to have Owen, and you're doing everything you're supposed to be doing. Surely that has to have a good outcome.

Crossing my fingers, and sending more hugs.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2011, 12:19 AM

Poor bugger, will be keeping him in my thoughts.

Weak cruciate ligaments can actually be hereditary, I know binx plans on studding out Ryu so the ED and now this is something she really needs to think about.

They can recover very well from torn ligaments. One of mums dogs has torn his twice, and another dog had torn hers once and all she did was confine them for 6 weeks.
    Make sure he does absolutely NO jumping and nothing above a slow walk. If you can, limit him to walking out to the toilet only.
    It's going to be a long and very boring recovery but if you are prepared to crate for the full 3 weeks then limit activity for another 3 then he has a good chance at recovery.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 22, 2011, 03:23 AM

Thank you Shaz I will follow your advice and increase his inactivity. I know I will have to be the "bad person" in his eyes but it is for his own good. I am so happy that he is not a dog that dislikes his crate. He will go in there sometimes on his own to sleep.
    My vet did mention a study where they examined the ligaments in dogs who have this problem and those who don't and I guess the ligaments look different. That is why they say it can be hereditary. I am not sure where his was injured due to playing and falling if that is the case. Henry was there and said it was quite the fall. He compares it to a umm front wheel drive truck? Where the *** end spins out. I don't drive so I am not sure if I got his example right.
    As I said I am focusing on the positive and when my mind wanders to the what ifs and the worrying I bring it back to say over and over again. "Owen is going to be okay"

Thank you all
    Dogs Expert

Apr 22, 2011, 07:37 PM

Hubby and I are disagreeing on something. We have Owen confined to the living room it is a small room. In the room is his food and water as well as his bed and his crate. He normally lays down but will occasionaly get up and move around. The vet said to keep him in one room and to curtail his activity. Now Shaz said to crate him. I want to go the keeping him in his crate and letting him out to eat and drink and pee and poop. Hubby said he should be fine in the living room. He will be able to see people as there is usually someone in the living room except when we are sleeping. Also he does not mind his crate and will occasionally go in there on his own to sleep.
    Opinions please. If the answer is crate, how often should he be let out for a drink of water. He gets fed breakfast and supper.

Sorry for all the questions but I really really want to do this 100% right so he is okay.

Susan
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2011, 07:16 AM

I would ask the Vet HOW curtailed his activity has to be. I would be a little bit concerned about him getting stiff and sore from not moving around.

I'm sure you feel like the meanest person in all of Canada. It's hard to explain that "this is for your own good."

My set up was her crate inside one of those puppy playground fences. She could come out of her crate and spend some time in the little fenced area, enough to sort of stretch. Of course, we watched her like a hawk!
    Dogs Expert

Apr 23, 2011, 12:55 PM

Judy our living room is about the size of one of those portable puppy fences you can get(walking space). As I said it is a very small living room. I will have to wait until Monday to call her as she is not in until then.
    One thing I have noticed is he will only pee for me when I have him outside on the leash. He will not poop, we also think the decreased food is part of the reason as well. He pees and poops for the others who take him out. It is like he is saying "take me for a walk dammit, I need to go NOW". I wish I could explain to him why I am doing this. He is also not liking the new diet of less food, poor boy so many changes at once. They are all necessary but I keep telling myself to ignore his cute puppy pout and that this needs to be done. When he recovers 100% we will have to take him for a big long dog walk and let him play and be a dog. For now he just has to lay around and heal.

Susan
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2011, 01:26 PM

I know and it's terrible when they just don't understand. I swear my dog thought she was in dog prison and didn't know why!

Hang in there.

How is he feeling?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2011, 01:28 PM

The small room should be fine. I would do as Judy suggested and put the crate inside that space so he can go in there if he wants to.
    You feel awful keeping them confined and they really don't understand why, but it's for the best.

Make some toys for him to keep him entertained. Kongs are great if he will use them with some peanut butter (low fat :) ) frozen inside.
    Some nice big marrow bones to gnaw on, or some nylabones will keep him entertained for a few hours at a time too.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 23, 2011, 02:03 PM

Shaz he has a kong but no peanut butter.. due to allergies. He is only allowed his fish products. NO bones either
    Dogs Expert

Apr 25, 2011, 01:21 PM

Tomorrow is the end of the first week since he injured himself. We had put him on rest before he seen the vet.
    Owen is very smart puppy. Before he would come over to the couch and figure out where he wanted to be and the best way to get there. Now that he knows he is not allowed up and will get stopped and chased off, he just jumps. He is starting to dislke his crate a bit. We have to give him a tiny push for him to go in. We do lots of praise for him when he goes in and he is only in it when we are not in the same room as him. Owen still is expecting and wanting me to to take him for a walk when I put the leash on for bathroom breaks. He does not seem to mind the decrease in food but with his lack of activity I doubt I will see any difference in weight. I would think he is not burning off enough calories.

Susan
    Dogs Expert

May 2, 2011, 12:48 PM

Tomorrow is the end of the second week. He seems resigned to his fate of not doing anything. We are paying lots more attention to him as he almost seeems depressed. I know he just does not understand why we are so mean to him, but one more week and he goes back to see the vet.
    He is not limping but we are wondering if it is only the medicine (anti inflammotories).
    I have such a terrific hubby too. He carried Owen down the stairs last night so he could sleep with us. Owen has slept with us every since we got him. It was so cute he just stayed very still while being carried as if he knew he was a bit heavy and Henry needed him to stay still. When he went on the bed he laid his head on hubbys chest and just stared at him.
    No difference in weight yet either but as I said I doubt anything will happen until he is allowed doing stuff.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2011, 02:20 PM

I saw this on my open threads and was afraid to read it - all good news! Fingers still crossed (which makes it VERY difficult to type).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owen listening to me only [ 7 Answers ]

Owen is doing very good with listening, to me at least. I can let him know what I want most times by just a look. I am unsure of how or why that works but it does. He knows if I snap my fingers and point to my side to come to me. That one is not going as well if he is distracted but we are...

Boredom and Owen [ 3 Answers ]

As most of you know Owen has elbow Dysplasia which limits his exercise. He can on average walk for about 20 min before limping. If he does too much one day it can carry over to the next day. For example when his friend Charlie comes over to play, you don't see the limp until AFTER the play date...

Owen graduated [ 3 Answers ]

Just to let people know Owen has graduated from his puppy class. I am so proud of my boy. I do wish I would have been able to attend one of the classes but hubby had to take him to all of them due to work. Kind of was a good thing as he was not listening to hubby as much as me. I have pics...

Owen limping [ 22 Answers ]

I am unsure if he needs to see a vet or not about this issue. I was out for a walk with him and noticed him limping, we were headed to the off leash park with another dog. I checked his feet and legs and he seemed fine. He would off and on make it a small limp then a big limp, to us it looked...

Owen has not finished his breakfast [ 15 Answers ]

Owen gets fed 3 times a day and it is now supper time but his breakfast is still their. He normally finishes his food all at once. I will say now that we have him off the Purina he does not gobble like he is starving. He has eaten approximately 1/2 of it. He is active, alert, drinking and...

View more questions Search