Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 05:28 PM

To answer Artlady's question - if I did not want to report my ID as stolen I could do whatever I wanted to obtain the identity of the person who opened the accounts - and who also, by the way, changed my address to another address. If I wanted to do my own invetigation (and keep in mind that that's what I do) I could claim it on my Homeowners Insurance, the cc company would step back and I would be on my own.

I was NOT happy with the entire situation because in my case "someone" flew from NY to London on my cc, HAD to show ID of some sort and the cc company would not give me the new mailing address.

I reported the problem to the State Troopers, the cc company reversed everything and I never heard another word.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2010, 05:31 PM

And of course if you keep all three of your credit bureau reports frozen they will not really be able to do a lot anyway,
    And check your report at least three times a year to be sure no one is applying for credit in your name somehow.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2010, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And of course if you keep all three of your credit bureau reports frozen they will not really be able to do alot anyway,
    and check your report at least three times a year to be sure no one is applying for credit in your name somehow.
    Chuck makes a good point. The monitoring services the Credit bureaus sell is well worth it, especially once your identity has been compromised. You can set it so that any request for credit is reported to you BEFORE they release info to the inquirer. That can help catch the perp before they create the accounts.

By the way, even though the thieves charged over $2K on my card, it didn't cost me anything. The card issuer issued a credit the first month, then when there were more charges the second month, they closed the account and issued me a new card.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Ex Hacked into my email Account and changed the password and alternet email address [ 1 Answers ]

My email that was broken into was [email protected] and the alternet email address was [email protected]. My password and alternet email address was changed I think he might of even closed the account I have a lot of important contacts on that account it there any way you can reset the password...

My Ex Hacked into my email Account and changed the password and alternet email address [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way you can reopen my account and reset my password for [email protected]

Google email account [ 3 Answers ]

Posed a question on two gmail accounts re homepage on first account, received reply from NeedKarma but cannot down load?

Email true identity [ 3 Answers ]

I have been communicating with someone from the united kingdom who has received much money from me.I want to find his true location and true identity :mad:

Email identity [ 5 Answers ]

Dear Sir, It so happened that some aleck, while the boss was away from his chamber, barged into already opened gmail mailbox and tampered with settings and inserted two mail ids so all his incoming emails may be forwarded to the inserted ids. Now we would like to identify the person operating...

View more questions Search