Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Apr 11, 2009, 09:42 AM
    I want to call attention to something.

Jesus did NOT use tradition in His teaching. Everything He taught was based in the Law and Prophets, all written down. In fact, Jesus did not present anything that was outside of the Law and Prophets.

God has provided us with WRITINGS for our guidance. When you move outside of that, then man's ideas can be substituted, and after a time become accpted simply because the idea is of long standing.

It makes no difference when an idea was presented, if it does not agree with what God has inspired, it is wrong, and therefore dangerous.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    I believe you have misunderstood me. What I''m saying is that all instruction must be solidly based on Scripture.

Why would that eliminate Sunday School, etc.?
    How much creative teaching is being done that misrepresents or causes misunderstanding of what the Scriptures actually say? Were the shepherds and Wise Men at the manger at the same time? I bet 85-90% of Christians believe so (but they weren't). Does a day in Genesis 1 mean a 24-hour period? Some Christian teachers/pastors believe yes, and others no. Are there mistakes in the Bible? Some SS teachers/pastors say yes, others no.

Sit in on several SS classes or adult Bible studies at a Christian church not in your denomination and let me know what you find out.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 10:29 AM
    I want to call attention to something.

Jesus did NOT use tradition in His teaching. Everything He taught was based in the Law and Prophets, all written down. In fact, Jesus did not present anything that was outside of the Law and Prophets.

God has provided us with WRITINGS for our guidance. When you move outside of that, then man's ideas can be substituted, and after a time become accpted simply because the idea is of long standing.

It makes no difference when an idea was presented, if it does not agree with what God has inspired, it is wrong, and therefore dangerous.
    Absolutely. Anytime that Jesus was in a discussion on doctrine and needed to validate a point of doctrine, He referred to the scriptures - never to tradition.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    How much creative teaching is being done that misrepresents or causes misunderstanding of what the Scriptures actually say?
    What you are arguing against here is the same concern that I have. People who go outside of what the Bible teaches by adding to or altering what the word says. That is the problem with denominational tradition that others on here are defending.

But if you are suggesting that every Sunday School and Bible Study in the country is doing that, then I would suggest that you need to do more research. No doubt many are, and they are at error if they do, but just because they teach error is no reason for the rest of us to blindly follow them.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 10:36 AM

Jesus did NOT use tradition in His teaching.
    Notice I am not red tagging you! Rathering edify (Romans 14:9)

2 Thessalonians 2:14-15 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

And we are commanded to withdraw ourselves from any that are not after those which were received by them.

2 Thessalonians 3:6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.

Everything He taught was based in the Law and Prophets, all written down. In fact, Jesus did not present anything that was outside of the Law and Prophets.
    Christ did establish the law. Christ suffered to the law in doing everything that was HIS Father's wilt. Christ fulfilled all that HIS Father sent HIM to do.

Matthew 1:22-23 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Example: Matthew 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay View Post
    2 Thessalonians 2:14-15 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.
    Notice that this tradition (Unlike the denominational traditions which we see promoted on this thread) were taught in two different forms, oral and written. Since the Apostles are no longer here, we are left with the written only.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    What you are arguing against here is the same concern that I have. people who go outside of what the Bible teaches by adding to or altering waht the word says. That is the problem with denominational tradition that others on here are defending.
    No, they aren't going outside of what the Bible teaches. They teach what they sincerely believe the Bible teaches yet don't agree with what someone else says the Bible teaches. So go to the Bible and let the Bible support itself by whose understanding and interpretation?
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 12:07 PM
    Notice that this tradition (Unlike the denominational traditions which we see promoted on this thread) were taught in two different forms, oral and written. Since the Apostles are no longer here, we are left with the written only.
    And I absolutely agree with you on that... And have insisted that we recognize that we can not fall to added traditions (or) to change any that were written.

I have mentioned twice that man's traditions were spoken of as leaven which rises up within the teaching, and Christ himself warned us of this fact. (Matthew 16:6 16:12)

So today we want to be unleaven and purged the conscience from false traditions and false doctrine.

1 Cr 5:7-8 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 12:56 PM
    No, they aren't going outside of what the Bible teaches. They teach what they sincerely believe the Bible teaches yet don't agree with what someone else says the Bible teaches. So go to the Bible and let the Bible support itself by whose understanding and interpretation?
    WG,

You are being inconsistent. Here is what you said (and I quote from post 242):

"How much creative teaching is being done that misrepresents or causes misunderstanding of what the Scriptures actually say?"

Your premise was that they did mis-represent what the Bible said, and thus went outside of what the Bible said.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 12:57 PM
    Your premise was that they did mis-represent what the Bible said, and thus went outside of what the Bible said.
    Misrepresent from your pov.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Misrepresent from your pov.
    Your words, WG - look back at post 242.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Your words, WG - look back at post 242.
    I KNOW what I wrote. I figured it probably won't agree with your interpretation, so you will consider it as misrepresenting and incorrect.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 01:35 PM
    I KNOW what I wrote. I figured it probably won't agree with your interpretation, so you will consider it as misrepresenting and incorrect.
    You apparently THINK you know what you wrote. I said nothing about you mis-representing anything - you said that the SS teachers mis-represent.

Maybe if you stop trying to throw stones at me, and attack me, and stop, calm down go back and read what you wrote, things may become clear to you.

Let me quote your entire post:

How much creative teaching is being done that misrepresents or causes misunderstanding of what the Scriptures actually say? Were the shepherds and Wise Men at the manger at the same time? I bet 85-90% of Christians believe so (but they weren't). Does a day in Genesis 1 mean a 24-hour period? Some Christian teachers/pastors believe yes, and others no. Are there mistakes in the Bible? Some SS teachers/pastors say yes, others no.

Sit in on several SS classes or adult Bible studies at a Christian church not in your denomination and let me know what you find out.
    I added the colour and the bold to make it easier to see what you actually wrote. If you don't believe that it is a quote, click that little blue arrow after your name in the quote box and it will take you right to YOUR original post.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 01:44 PM
    You apparently THINK you know what you wrote. I said nothing about you mis-representing anything - you said that the SS teachers mis-represent.

Maybe if you stop trying to throw stones at me, and attack me, and stop, calm down go back and read what you wrote, things may become clear to you.

Let me quote your entire post:
    You are having trouble understanding what I wrote. Yes, there are SS teachers who misrepresent what the Bible says. But by whose standard of what the Bible says? They think they are correct. You may agree with them. According to you, we here misrepresent what the Bible says.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 01:59 PM
    You are having trouble understanding what I wrote. Yes, there are SS teachers who misrepresent what the Bible says.
    And that is exactly what I was referring to - it appears you are having difficulty understanding what is being said. If you take the time to discuss instead of picking of stones to toss because you don't agree with, or don't like the person, so many mis-understandings like this will never even happen. I'll be honest - I do not understand why some folk just decide to turn nasty when others disagree. Why can't we just discuss respectfully?

Now, to carry on with the discussion:

But by whose standard of what the Bible says? They think they are correct.
    People can be sincere and sincerely mistaken. Open the Bible and let's see what it says. You don't need a "standard" to read what it says, with the possible exception of a basic understanding of the English language and a dictionary if you struggle with word meanings. If there are more difficult passages, picking up a lexicon for Greek or hebrew may also be necessary, or further study into what the Bible says elsewhere on the same topic.

You may agree with them. According to you, we here misrepresent what the Bible says.
    Here we go again - I did not say that - you claimed that I said it.

This is where mis-understandings occur - when someone refuses to read what was actually said.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 02:10 PM
    why some folk just decide to turn nasty when others disagree. Why can't we just discuss respectfully?
    Are you referring to me as "nasty"? I'm simply talking about people who have decided the Bible is to be interpreted in one way which happens to be different from the way another person would interpret it. It happens all the time, even here.
    People can be sincere and sincerely mistaken.
    So who is correct?
    Here we go again - I did not say that - you claimed that I said it.
    *chuckle*
    This is where mis-understandings occur - when someone refuses to read what was actually said.
    I so glad you admit that. So true, so true.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Are you referring to me as "nasty"? I'm simply talking about people who have decided the Bible is to be interpreted in one way which happens to be different from the way another person would interpret it. It happens all the time, even here.
    Yes, it does, and by making accusations about me, you contributed to that. It is important to read what is said, and to respond to the topic.

So who is correct?
    That is where it is important for people to put aside their theological systems and beliefs and sit down and look at what the Bible actually says. The key issue here is that far too often people do not wish to submit themselves to God's word, but follow their own theological system and forcefit scripture, or they bend scripture to fit the theological system of their church or denomination (and we see a great deal of that on here with some folk demanding the everyone else submit to their denomination.

It can be painful for people to admit that it is God and God's word that we must submit to, and to put aside our own beliefs, but that is what must be done.

So true, so true.
    I hope that in the future you will take the time to actually read what you said and what I said before claiming otherwise.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 02:23 PM
    It can be painful for people to admit that it is God and God's word that we must submit to, and to put aside our own beliefs, but that is what must be done.
    Then why do no two ***ADDED sola scriptura*** Christians believe exactly the same thing?
    I hope that in the future you will take the time to actually read what you said and what I said before claiming otherwise.
    Yes, I hope you will understand what I write as well as you understand the Bible.
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 02:24 PM
    And I absolutely agree with you on that... And have insisted that we recognize that we can not fall to added traditions (or) to change any that were written.
    There’s a problem here. If we aren’t to rely on any traditions or any teachings outside of the Bible, then Christ is not King. We don’t have a messiah who is both man and God. We don’t have a Holy Spirit. We are simply left with the Old Testament and a new story about a nice guy who came along and was both loving and kind to the poor.

I have mentioned twice that man's traditions were spoken of as leaven which rises up within the teaching, and Christ himself warned us of this fact. (Matthew 16:6 16:12)
    There were many things Christ said which refer to writings that are no longer in existence. Do God’s words fade and go out of vogue?

So today we want to be unleavened and purged the conscience from false traditions and false doctrine.
    To Interpret Holy Scripture, each deciding individually what authority to give Scripture, bends the will of God conforming to your own fallible and subjective will, i.e. placing God in a box. In so doing God must conform to your will. I’m sure that’s not what you intend to do with the tenets of Sola Scriptura, but that is the net effect.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 02:28 PM
    Then why do no two Christians believe exactly the same thing?
    First, I disagree with your premise. I know many Christians who are in concert with each other.

Now, if you say why don't all Christians agree on areas of speculation or areas where the Bible is silent - that is simply because those areas are matters of opinion and if scripture has not commented on those areas, they are not essentials and are areas which are not doctrinal.

The other problem is as I stated in my last message, and that is when people place their own beliefs and theological system or indeed the teachings of their denomination above scripture. Or in cases where they or theior denomination adds to, subtracts from or alters scripture. In such cases they have altered the standard from being scripture alone and have put man in a position of judgment over God's word.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Standard of care vs standard of practice [ 3 Answers ]

In terms of medicine, what is the difference between the standard of care and the standard of practice?

Help with a scripture [ 10 Answers ]

I am pregnant and going to have a daughter. I haven't been a Christian for long, but I know in the Bible it talks about how women shouldn't cut their hair. Can someone help me find this scripture so I can explain to my husband why I do not wish to cut our daughters hair. ( he thinks its stupid.)

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean? [ 1 Answers ]

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean?

Scripture alone? [ 405 Answers ]

The Scriptures say that the Church is the Pillar and Ground of Truth (1 Tim 3:15) and that if we don't hear the Church (Matt 18:17) we should be treated as heathen. Yet some people say we should neglect the Church and listen to Scripture alone? Why, if doing so is to disobey Scripture?

View more questions Search