Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ehren1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Domestic Partnership Support
    I've been with him for 7 years. We have two Boys together. Our relationship is ending. How do I get Domestic Partnership Support? He works full time. I work Part time when I can find work in my area.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 01:16 PM
    As I understand it, and each state is different, this type of arrangement should have been put in place during the relationship, or when it started. If you outline your predicament a little more, explain more, maybe you will get better feedback and therefore advice.
    rahn22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 02:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ehren1234
    I've been with him for 7 years. We have two Boys together. Our relationship is ending. How do i get Domestic Partnership Support? He works full time. I work Part time when I can find work in my area.
    If you are in California, you are covered under the Registered Domestic Partnership laws AB 205. This gives the same "state" rights to RDP as it does to married couples. Therefore, you will be able to have your day in court and if the court found that you were due any type of support, he would have to pay just as a married man would have to.

P.S. I am so sorry to hear that it did not work out. 7 years is a long time. My partner and I have been together for 11 years (this sept). Good luck and God bless you both.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ehren1234
    I've been with him for 7 years. We have two Boys together. Our relationship is ending. How do i get Domestic Partnership Support? He works full time. I work Part time when I can find work in my area.

Depends on the State - some States view this the same as common law marriage which no longer exists (in those States). In NYS for the most part you are entitled to child support only. This is not a recognized union - the Court doesn't want to get entangled with non-licensed living arrangements (as I've heard it explained).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Domestic partnership [ 1 Answers ]

What are the Arizona laws on domestic partnership? I see this question has been asked but I can not find the answer. If I own a home in a different part of the city but stay with a friend who is a female companion for 4 years does she have the right to my property or income? My mail goes to my...

Arizona law on domestic partnership [ 2 Answers ]

What is the definition of a domestic parner by Arizona laws:rolleyes:

AZ domestic partnership split [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience with domestic partnerships in AZ? My partner of 22 years and I have split and I am moving to another state. We own property together as well as joint bank accounts. She is not wanting to split things 50/50. Do I have recource leagally?

View more questions Search