Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Obama has not answered adequately for me how a 20 year implicit endorsement of black liberation theology has framed the person he is . Black liberation theology is not the theology of social Christianity that leaders like MLK Jr espoused . It is clearly separatist and it just is not congruent to the philosophy that a "uniter " would subscribe to .
    I doubt seriously if the sound bites we have seen covers his 30 year career, nor gives us insights into his other sermons, which are suspiciously absent. Haven't you ever wondered if we are being fed only that which is negative to some? My own research has confirmed, that most of the things, in the snipets we see are correct, and above all the old guy is entitled to his opinion. Do you have a doubt this is a attempt to undermine his campaign, as I have found nothing else in the public forum, that shows any evidence, that he agrees with the good reverend, on these subjects. Further, its politics at its best (worse?)
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 06:03 AM
    Black liberation theology is not the theology of social Christianity that leaders like MLK Jr espoused .
    You can explain that one, as black liberation theology, is not restricted to just MLK, who was assassinated in 1968, and many changes have been made since then, or are you saying we should go back to that time?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 06:06 AM
    Forget what the Reverend says ;I have issues with the material available in the church's website . The basic philosophy is racist and separatist. I go into greater detail here : https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/curren...-195912-3.html
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 06:14 AM
    or are you saying we should go back to that time
    MLK's message beats the hell out of what Rev Wright preaches :

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
    I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice
    I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
    I have a dream today
    I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

By endorsing Rev Wright's self imposed segregation Obama is rejecting the message of MLK Jr . Obama needs to clarifiy this issue further .
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Mar 19, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    forget what the Reverend says ;I have issues with the material available in the church's website . The basic philosophy is racist and seperatist. I go into greater detail here : https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/curren...-195912-3.html
    I can just see you trying to to teach Black Theology. A class room full of African-Americans look up at the old white guy professor as they scratch their heads saying amongst themselves, "being separate from white Christian slave owners that beat us and raped our women, is a bad thing?!" Again Tom you're not understanding the fact that "Black Theology" and "Wrights personal views affixed to the theology" are apples and oranges. This is almost as silly as those whom deny the Holocaust. They are known history revisionist. Again your proving my earlier point that Republican Christians are less likely to understand the African-American communities, than their religious peers in Democrat Christians. Just another reason why most blacks vote Democrat.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Welfare?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Hello momma:

There's another thread going on here right now about Obama's church leader. There are those who complain that he's a separatist - that his church teaches division instead of togetherness...

These old white men are blind to the fact that their own churches teach division, just like your candidate is doing. They don't know that they're doing that... I have no idea WHY they don't know that, but it's clear that they don't.

excon

PS> I'm going to post this on both threads.

PPS> Don't vote for the guy.

PPPS> Christians, please explain to me how declaring this nation to be a Christian nation is NOT separatist!!
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Well I'm out of here. There is no way that my views can be compared to holocost denying .

Mar 19, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    well I'm out of here. there is no way that my views can be compared to holocost denying .
    Have a good one. No offence, but that was your choice to make innuendo of Barack being a racist.
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Hello again:

There is a racial disconnect here. It's been going on for a long, long time. Maybe, the time has come to discuss it.

Bobby pretty much hit the nail on the head. Black people, the age of Wright, AREN'T a bunch of happy Americans. They personally experienced racism up close and personal. They were told to sit in the back of the bus. They were told that they couldn't pee in a white restroom, couldn't drink from a white water fountain, and couldn't eat at a white restaurant.

White people, the age of tom, never really understood what was going on, but nonetheless, believes they should get over it, and, have no clue why they don't.

excon
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 08:14 AM
    By endorsing Rev Wright's self imposed segregation Obama is rejecting the message of MLK Jr . Obama needs to clarifiy this issue further .
    Beside what the media has presented, is there anything else he has said that you don't agree with?
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Me too Tom…I thought I might get some sort of argument in Wrights defense but all I see is an attack on his critics with a little Jewish victimhood thrown in.
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Hello DC:

I'm not surprised you're out of here. I just showed up, and my arguments scare you.

excon

Mar 19, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Me too Tom…I thought I might get some sort of argument in Wrights defense but all I see is an attack on his critics with a little Jewish victimhood thrown in.

Moving on? Well you'll never be short on gas and there's certainly enough room in that empty argumentative U-Haul truck of yours to pick up more Republicans.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 09:28 AM
    More of the same Bobby…It makes me wonder about the Obama supporters who has spoken in this forum who can't put together an argument supporting Wright and his church when others have, including Obama.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again:

There is a racial disconnect here. It's been going on for a long, long time. Maybe, the time has come to discuss it.

Bobby pretty much hit the nail on the head. Black people, the age of Wright, AREN'T a bunch of happy Americans. They personally experienced racism up close and personal. They were told to sit in the back of the bus. They were told that they couldn't pee in a white restroom, couldn't drink from a white water fountain, and couldn't eat at a white restaurant.

White people, the age of tom, never really understood what was going on, but nonetheless, believes they should get over it, and, have no clue why they don't.
    ex, I never really 'understood' what was going on, I just went to school with all my mostly Hispanic and black friends every day. Sure I get it now, but even as Obama said yesterday America has not been static on racial issues.

If his Wikipedia entry is correct, I have to wonder what Wright is so pi**ed about.

He then joined the United States Marine Corps and later transferred to the United States Navy where he worked as a cardiopulmonary technician.[1] Wright then enrolled at Howard University, where he received a bachelor's degree in 1968 and a Master’s degree in English in 1969. In 1975, he earned an additional Master’s degree from the University of Chicago Divinity School, and a Doctor of Ministry degree from United Theological Seminary in 1990 where he studied under Samuel DeWitt Proctor. He also has eight honorary doctorate degrees and has taught courses at many seminaries and universities in the nation.
    It sure sounds like this country has really held him back, doesn't it? The man has it far, far better than I do. Maybe members of his congregation don't though, but what value to them is there in railing against the "Great White West?" How exactly does that lift them out of their situation? And the question I've asked over and over is how is telling me how racist I am going to heal anything?
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

Great questions.

First and foremost, Wright isn't running for president. Yes, things are a million percent better for black people today than they were. But, we're not there yet – not by a long shot... I think, you think we are. Therein, lies the disconnect.

No, you're not racist, Steve. But somebody still is, and somebody needs to keep pointing it out. I know that you're a good man, and that when you look around your community, you don't understand why black people still live over there. You think they have the opportunity to get out if they really wanted to. And, of course, some do. Yes, MORE do today than ever did.

I also think you look in their neighborhood and see people living that way by choice. I don't. I see the result of racism.

You don't get that the drug war is racist, and has replaced segregation as the black mans bane. You don't get that denying children health care is racist.

Wright understands all of these things well. He's always talked about it, and I hope he always will.

excon
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 10:27 AM
    how is telling me how racist I am going to heal anything?
    I can't say you are, and nothing in your writing makes you one.
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Maybe members of his congregation don't though, but what value to them is there in railing against the "Great White West?"
    Stands to reason he has seen a lot over the course of his life, and how can we just dimiss that, because some conservative poly wog is offended? Again, how can a sound bite, define a mans whole life? Does that erase the rest of his service? Don't you wonder, why they never talk about that, while they vilify a few comments? I am curious, and more than a little suspicious.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, Steve:

Great questions.

First and foremost, Wright isn't running for president. Yes, things are a million percent better for black people today than they were. But, we're not there yet – not by a long shot.... I think, you think we are. Therein, lies the disconnect.
    No, of course I don't think we're "there" yet. And of course, somebody still is racist and no, we shouldn't stop talking about it. But (you knew there'd be a but), like the incident at the University of Delaware I've mentioned before that says the term racist "applies to all white people (i.e. people of European descent) living in the United States, regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality,” how does that kind of thing heal the racial divides that still exist? Black preachers and black churches may not see the big deal in railing against white America as Wright did, but I do, and I see no difference in that and what this university tried to do.

You're a smart guy, do you not see that much of the left is invested in keeping racism alive while people like me are saying what the hell are you people talking about? We don't care if you're black or whatever, we intend to treat you as anyone else, give you the same opportunities and expect the same in return, so why are you talking about how racist we are in ANY context? That doesn't help us confront the problems together. HOW we talk about racism matters, doesn't it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obama and NAFTA [ 9 Answers ]

During Tues debate Obama and Evita traded gotcha charges about who is more serious about reforming NAFTA . This is an issue that resonates in Ohio where many people mistakenly blame NAFTA for job losses in the State. Both said they would deep six the treaty and renegotiate . According to...

Barack Obama [ 20 Answers ]

6400 This thread is hereby established as a place to post POSITIVE attributes that apply to this canadate. Things that you find about this canadate that are positive. Due to all the negative press and mudslinging, having a place to come to post and read positive issues that apply to the...

So what has Obama done ? [ 49 Answers ]

A new bill that is co-sponsored by Barak Obama and Democrat Senators Maria Cantwell, Dianne Feinstein, Richard Lugar, Richard Durbin, Chuck Hagel and Robert Menendez will increase foreign aid by the United States to a level that the UN dictates . Sugar coating it with a name no one could object to...

14.5hp briggs won't start unless jumped [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 14.5hp Briggs mower that will only start if I start my truck and jump it off, it will not start the battery, not even the truck battery truck has to be running. I have changed the starter then the solinoid and still does it. Once it is started runs perfect and I have tested the battery and...

What to do about byfriend who jumped out of moving vehicle [ 9 Answers ]

Well I need to let some things off my chest. I have been in a relationship for over 4 years with the same individual whom we will call (Tito). I just recently moved into an apt with him. Prior to that we have been living together since the inception of our relationship in 2003. Well this...

View more questions Search