Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Feb 26, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Mig Welder
    I hope I am asking this in the right area.
    Anyway I am in the process of purchasing a mig welder and have lake of experience in this field. I need a mig welder to use on 1/4 inch steel.
    What should I look for?
    As well what are some tools that help out with mig welding? Like gloves, helmet with protected eye wear and so on. The more information the better. I look forward to peoples advise and information. Thank you
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Sorry by the lack of responses but we don't seem to have too many welders here. My only experience with MIg or TIg is that I bought an automatically darkening helmet that sees the arc and darkens the screen. I like it much, much better than shaking me head trying to get the old helmet to drop down, under $100.

Feb 27, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Sorry by the lack of responses but we don't seem to have too many welders here. My only experience with MIg or TIg is that I bought an automatically darkening helmet that sees the arc and darkens the screen. I like it much, much better than shaking me head trying to get the old helmet to drop down, under $100.
    Thanks.. I Have one in mind that I am ordering on line. Any thing else?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Just don't buy your welder from places like Habor Freight. Lincoln is pretty much the caddy. Check the power requirements so you will know what you have or need from your panel. Don't know much else.

Feb 27, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Just don't buy your welder from places like Habor Freight. Lincoln is pretty much the caddy. Check the power requirements so you will know what you have or need from your panel. Don't know much else.
    Cool. I was on the lines of a Lincoln or a Miller. I know what you mean about the power which is required for the size of welding I am going to do, I will be using argon gas. I am getting more and more familiar with mig welding every day from what I can read on line. But I can never get too much information. So if you or anyone else has some more information please do add. Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2008, 10:55 AM
    This is a nice selection guid by miller. Gets you through the basics.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...rs%20Guide.pdf

Leather welding outfit, gloves and an auto-visor are essential.

So might jigs, a welding table etc.

I ran across this website sometime ago: New Virtual Private Server for acies NAME -- acies.tempdomainname.com

Feb 27, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    This is a nice selection guid by miller. Gets yu through the basics.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...rs%20Guide.pdf

Leather welding outfit, gloves and an auto-visor are essential.

So might jigs, a welding table etc.

I ran across this website sometime ago: New Virtual Private Server for acies NAME -- acies.tempdomainname.com
    Thank you. One more steep closer. Anyone else that would like to add. Like I stated before the more the better. Thanks
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 05:41 PM
    You will need to not only need safety equipment, but also make sure you have a save environment for operating a welder. Also check to see the availability of gas for the welder. The gas needs to be placed onboard the welder and secured, or secured to a wall in a "safety zone".
    jennyrene Posts: 20, Reputation: 6

Feb 27, 2008, 10:53 PM
    In order to weld on 1/4 inch, you will need to find a 225 amp machine to do a good job.
    Smaller machines will work if your welds are small and if you are doing a lot of welding you will need to look at the machines duty cycle. Usually a 60 percent duty cycle will do anything you want to do. Some good machines are hobart, miller,& lincoln. Make sure you use the proper shade lens in your welding helmet, usually for a mig welder it will be a shade 10.

Feb 28, 2008, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    you will need to not only need safety equipment, but also make sure you have a save enviroment for operating a welder. also check to see the availability of gas for the welder. the gas needs to be placed onboard the welder and secured, or secured to a wall in a "safety zone".
    Thanks but I know about securing it. I have bought a cart for the welder and tank. But thank you for the information. If you have more information to offer please do.

Feb 28, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyrene
    in order to weld on 1/4 inch, you will need to find a 225 amp machine to do a good job.
    smaller machines will work if your welds are small and if you are doing alot of welding you will need to look at the machines duty cycle. usually a 60 percent duty cycle will do anything you want to do. some good machines are hobart, miller,& lincoln. make sure you use the proper shade lens in your welding helment, usually for a mig welder it will be a shade 10.
    I really like your advise that you have added. Thank you
    I will be using a welder for making trailers. It will be square tubing metal less then 1/4 inch thick metal. What do you recommend for a type of welder?
    I will be using a mig welder not a tig welder and I will be getting a stick welder for metals I encounter in the near future. More advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and I look forward to your reply. As well with others if they have more to add.

Feb 29, 2008, 08:52 AM
    One of my best friends just stated to me at work that I would need allot of tools like magnets for the angles, Some sort of hammer, and a few others. Can some one please inform me on other types of tools that will be needed. Your advise will not go under looked. I again am very grateful for all the advise posted but more the better. Thanks
    jennyrene Posts: 20, Reputation: 6

Mar 3, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Mig welders are normally used for production applications they make a good strong attractive bead but a stick welder gives you more strengh and versatility. The types of welding process you can do with a stick machine are less painful than as with a mig. But if I was going to be building trailers I would go with the mig.I like lincoln welding machines best. Tools you will need are endless the magnets your friend mentioned to you are great because they are like a second set of hands they give the ability to hold something while your hands are free to tack the metal parts together. You will need to have a tri square framing square if you use pipe you will need a wrap around. Clamps are a must , such as c clamps, vice grips, clamps come in different sizes but start with 4 inch and 8 inch. You will need a 3lb hammer, 4 inch grinder, soapstone , if you have any more questions I'm glad to help, I've been in the welding field for 14 years now but, I still don't know every trick in the book.
    hern172 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2008, 10:25 PM
    I would suggest either a hobart or lincoln, other than that I'll just say when you do start welding it should feel smooth in your hand if you weld and it jumps, pops, or gets stuck on whatever your welding check the distance you're holding it from the metal. Getting stuck means too close and the jumps and pops means too far away, the trick is to be steady and smooth with you're strokes as you weld. Good luck

Mar 4, 2008, 04:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyrene
    mig welders are normally used for production applications they make a good strong attractive bead but a stick welder gives you more strengh and versatility. the types of welding process you can do with a stick machine are less painful than as with a mig. but if i was going to be building trailers i would go with the mig.i like lincoln welding machines best. tools you will need are endless the magnets your friend mentioned to you are great because they are like a second set of hands they give the ability to hold something while your hands are free to tack the metal parts together. you will need to have a tri square framing square if u use pipe u will need a wrap around. clamps are a must , such as c clamps, vice grips, clamps come in different sizes but start with 4 inch and 8 inch. u will need a 3lb hammer, 4 inch grinder, soapstone , if u have any more questions i'm glad to help, i've been in the welding field for 14 years now but, i still don't know every trick in the book.
    Thank you. Do you recommend any other tools that could or may help? You really do sound very much educated in this field. The more the information the better. Would you recommend me to get a stick welder as well?

Mar 4, 2008, 04:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hern172
    i would suggest either a hobart or lincoln, other than that I'll just say when you do start welding it should feel smooth in your hand if you weld and it jumps, pops, or gets stuck on whatever your welding check the distance you're holding it from the metal. Getting stuck means too close and the jumps and pops means too far away, the trick is to be steady and smooth with you're strokes as you weld. good luck
    Thank you. Where can I get more information on this issues. I plane on practising on a plat before making a trailer. Do you know any videos I can get online for mig welding?

Mar 12, 2008, 05:20 AM
    If anyone is still reading this. I do have a question more along the lines of welders. I have been looking online at EBay and noticed welder for sale. I really won't to purchase a miller or Lincoln mig welder but saw a few others allot cheaper. Does anyone have anything to add to this. Would it be okay to purchase a cheaper mig welder or should I stick with a miller or Lincoln? Your info would be much appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Welder Purchase [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a welder. What is the difference between and arc welder and gas or gasless welder. How are they rated? Some are capable of welding either 1/8" or 1/4". Is this based on amperage? 220v is better than 110v? Thanks, Glenn

Welder salary [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, I'm taking welding for the third year in high school, and I'm going to Western Dakota Tech to become a certified welder. What would the yearly salary be for that career? Thank you, and please reply to this question.

Welder [ 1 Answers ]

I found an old lincoln welder that I can't identify. I guess it looks like a water tank about 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide with a crank on the side. Ring any bells

Power Converter for Welder [ 2 Answers ]

I do not have any 220 Outlets in my house. Got a welder with a 115v or 230v input. I'm set up for 110 outlets but would like to switch to the 230 input. Considering purchasing on of those transformers that plugs into a 110 and converts to 220. Got a 42 Amp draw on the welder and a max 5000W on...

View more questions Search