Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    r2traps Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Changing kitchen sink - easy to adjust drain pipes?
    I'm looking to change my kitchen sink from this old one:

To this new one:

As you can see, the drains are located in very different places. Is it hard to adjust the drain pipes under the sink in order to match up with the new drain locations in the new sink? Or am I better of just buying a sink with the drains in the same location as the old sink?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 10, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by r2traps
    I'm looking to change my kitchen sink from this old one:

to this new one:

As you can see, the drains are located in very different places. Is it hard to adjust the drain pipes under the sink in order to match up with the new drain locations in the new sink? Or am I better of just buying a sink with the drains in the exact same location as the old sink?
    Unless you wish to reconfigure the drainage and traps it would be best if you replaced the old sink with one with the drains in the same position . Good luck, Tom

Mar 10, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Thanks for the reply Tom. Is it difficult to reconfigure the drainage and traps? Would I be able to use the current materials but then simply cut, move them around, or would I need to pull everything out and redo it? I know it's hard to get a good idea of my capabilities, but I've done some limited plumbing work, like cutting copper water pipes and installing shut off valves.

Another alternative would be to get a plumber in to do the work. If that's the case I also would need to know the degree of difficulty so I can determine what the cost might be.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 10, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by r2traps
    Thanks for the reply Tom. Is it difficult to reconfigure the drainage and traps? Would I be able to use the current materials but then simply cut, move them around, or would I need to pull everything out and redo it? I know it's hard to get a good idea of my capabilities, but I've done some limited plumbing work, like cutting copper water pipes and installing shut off valves.

Another alternative would be to get a plumber in to do the work. If that's the case I also would need to know the degree of difficulty so I can determine what the cost might be.
    Not knowing what material the pipes are, (metal or plastic) makes it difficult to answer your concerns. If the pipes were PVC you might be able to cut the stuboutback and move the traps back into position. A copper stubout with chrome over brass traps are a different story. Soldering tools and skills are needed here. What is it about the newer sink drains that would make them preferable over the old sink drains. You would go through the expense and hassle of changing the traps over for what? Cheers, Tom

Mar 10, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Sorry, forgot to mention that the pipes are PVC. The reason we're changing the sink is because we're doing a total kitchen reno and we're replacing everything, including cabinets/countertop, sink etc. Also, we wanted a one-hole sink so we could use a one-hole faucet. It seems all the reasonably-priced one-hole faucet double sinks have the drains located in the same location.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 10, 2008, 08:20 AM
    As I've stated, If the drains are about in the same place except for being farther back you can, if you have the room, simply cut the stubout back and couple the traps back. Otherwise, If you had to cut everything back to the stub-out and redo everything it's still a job for a handy homeowner. Good luck, Tom
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 08:30 AM
    22 1/2 degree elbows will magically make a lot of things line up.

Mar 10, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Tom, yes, other than being farther back, the drains are in the same place. So I will cut the stubout (the pipe coming out of the wall) and then reattach the rest of the existing piping.

"keepitsimple", can you please provide more details on your suggested solution? I've never worked on pvs pipes before, so the more detailed the explanation the better. Thanks in advance!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 09:44 AM
    You have probably heard of 90 degree elbows and 45 degree elbows. They make a 22 1/2 degree elbow. That component, can make thinks that look impossible, line up.

There is also a metal reinforced rubber coupling that you can use for drains. Flexible Rubber Fernco's may be allowed, but you may have to support the drain lines, since that coupling offers very little support. When purchasing the couplings, pay attention to 1-1/2" pipe and 1-1/2 inch tube. They have different outside diameters.

Remember that when doing the plumbing, dry fit everything first. Some stats put limitations on the type of cement and primer/cleaner that can be used. You must use one for PVC pipe. Remember to debur the pipe and cut the ends square.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 10, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Remember that when doing the plumbing, dry fit everything first
    One thing to bear in mind if you're going to "dry-fit" PVC fittings. The female hub of a PVC fitting has a small taper and if you try to shove the male end in too far it will bind and be difficult to remove, Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen sink drain pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install the kitchen sink about 4-5 feet from the drain pipe that the plumber installed for this sink. Can I run the drain pipe that distance ? The cold and hot water feeds are the same distance away as well. Can this be done?

New sink pipes won't drain [ 3 Answers ]

My bathroom sink was leaking from the pipes underneath it so I replaced all the pipes going into the wall and also replaced the trap. The pipes don't leak anymore but for some reason the sink won't drain, it takes about an hour for a little bit of water to go down, how can I fix this?

Kitchen Sink drainage pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Since we were replacing the garbage disposal that died recently (fairly easy - already done) we decided to replace the convoluted drainage pipes under the kitchen sinks too. The argument we are having concerns the proper placement of the P-trap. The wall drain pipe is 2" and is located on the...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Cleaning Kitchen Sink Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some advice! My wife and I just moved in to a 1984 home. The other day, after peeling some potatoes in the sink, the water began backing up. After investigating, I was able to find the potato skins clogged up in the pipe just before it went back in to...

View more questions Search