Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babagau Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2008, 04:08 PM
    Firewire PCI card
    Is it possible for a malfunctioning firewire PCI card (you know, that you put in mobo PCI slot and you get, say 3 "1394" slots) so is it possible that it PERMANENTLY damages FW equipment that you plug in it? I mean permanent damage probably to their firmware, not just malfunction a long as they are connected. Coz mine, it was on the mobo, when a voltage problem caused the mobo and graphic card to burn. And now I have a problem on my 1394 audio interface that I can't sort at all! Can it have been caused but the firewire PCI card? It seems extreme. :eek:
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 16, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by babagau
    Is it possible for a malfunctioning firewire PCI card (you know, that you put in mobo PCI slot and you get, say 3 "1394" slots) so is it possible that it PERMANENTLY damages FW equipment that you plug in it? I mean permanent damage probably to their firmware, not just malfunction a long as they are connected. Coz mine, it was on the mobo, when a voltage problem caused the mobo and graphic card to burn. And now I have a problem on my 1394 audio interface that I can't sort at all! Can it have been caused but the firewire PCI card? It seems extreme. :eek:
    The quick answer is yes. Anytime you have an electrical connection between two electronic devices, there is always a chance that one could damage the other; especially if one of the failing cards fails beyond the scope of the manufacturer's testing intent. One example of this would be that a large metallic screw is dropped onto a card causing a mass short circuit; the results of which are passed on to any connected devices.
    babagau Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Thank you xphelper, I forgot to mention that the device is powered by wall socket and not the firewire. A friend of mine suggested that I should also check the stability of the voltage at my house. Can it still have been damaged by the PCI FW card, although it transmits only data? Maybe the house's current is so unstable that the card cannot operate properly. But, still all other electrical appliances are fine. Do you think this is more propably the case? I'll try check the FW device at another house.
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 16, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Hello babagau,

You must have power to transmit data and any electrical short (like the screw example I used) can place an unexpected voltage on that data transmission connection. Please understand that I am not implying that happened. I was only just trying to answer your "is it possible" question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a pci sata II Card? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm thinking of buying a bigger hard drive, Sata II 500 gb. However, My motherboard has a serial sata 150 controller which is only up to 150 MB transfer speed. I want to utilize the new sata II 3gb transfer speed of that new drive. Is there a pci sata II card and where can I purchase one? Must...

Linksys PCI card Hates me! [ 1 Answers ]

PC shows I am connected but then I get "Can't find server/DNS error" messages when I go to Internet Explorer link. Is this the card or my Pc settings? Please Help! :mad:

Wireless pci card [ 6 Answers ]

I was searching for this post but I couldn't find anything on the topic I know this is a stupid question and some of you might flame me for me, but I just ordered a laptop and forgot to put a wireless chip in it, as of now I do not need the wireless but I was wondering if it is still possible...

Wireless PCI card problem [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to install a Linksys wireless PCI card in a PC Pentium2 400mhz, running XP pro. XP will see the card but will not allow set up to finish, error message reads, (devce cannot start Code 10). Driver updates did not solve this nor reinstalling device and driver many times. The wireless...

View more questions Search