Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbbyrd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Used computer, no cd, no code,up a creek?
    Hello;
    I am coming to you as a last ditch attempt to get some useful advice. I bought a used computer that had xp pro already on it. My hard drive acted up and I bought a xp pro boot cd that says it will also install xp if needed. My hard drive had to be replaced and I started trying to install xp pro on the new hard drive. The installation gets to the point that it wants me to input a volume license product code and will go no further because I don't have a key. I tried to slave my old hard drive to a friends computer in order to get the code from it with various key finder programs, but the old drive says that it is not formatted and I get nowhere with that. I cannot get the computer to do anything other than continuously restart installation of xp pro and then halt at the code input. What I want to know is how can I get the OS onto my new drive, is there anything at all that I can do to fix this problem?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 25, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Basically it sounds like you bought a bootleg XP CD. You need to buy a legal copy now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2007, 03:30 PM
    You can normally take it to a computer store, where they do put a legal and licensd copy into your computer for a fee. Or you can buy a copy that comes with a licenee number.

** and of courrse keep it forever.
    This is one of the things you have to watch for when buying form private indivuduals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I reboot my computer and start frest as though it was a new computer [ 17 Answers ]

My computer is very slow I want to reboot it from the start

Up the creek without a paddle [ 1 Answers ]

I divorced last year and my ex stated and signed and reaffirmed that he was carrying medical insurance on me. I didn't think he was but called and they confirmed that this was true. Well now that its been over a year and Ive had MRI's and such and he has since remarried I have found out that he...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

Up a Creek without a Paddle [ 2 Answers ]

On August 9, 2004 I found out I was pregnant by my boyfriend.  He left the following day on a police mission in Iraq.  I called him and told him while he was in the states, and all he could say was get an abortion and to move on with my life.  Now this isn't like him at all, he has three children...

View more questions Search