Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 09:16 AM
    UTI in pregnancy - J_9, Buggage?
    Going to see my OBGYN this afternoon for some issues I have had this weekend. But I just wanted to get an understanding of something first. I think I have some sort of UTI right now, but will find out for sure at the appointment. My question is this...

UTIs are kind of new for me personally, I know about them, but never really have them myself, that is until this pregnancy where I have had 3 already. I have always had easy pregnancies with no problems. I also have tested pos. for Group B Strep (always do). I have been having this horrible pain in my left side just below my ribs, to the side of my naval, kind of like a stitch, but it throbs, and lasts for a few hours, esp if I twist my body. I have also been feeling the soreness in my vaginal area, similar to the soreness you feel during a period, not anything like the soreness from contractions... I have had no contractions. This is in addition to the common signs of UTI, burining, frequent urination, urination and then having to urinate again less than 30 minutes later... etc... My sister (a RN) said to ask them about checking my kidneys... but had to get back to work before explaining to me why. Are these signs to watch for a kidney infection? Because I read that fever and chills and confusion were with that... and I don't have those. Just curious, my appointment is not for another 2 hours, and now she has me worried. I have been having a lot of problems recently... I just want to go in prepared for the doctor. This UTI business is all new to me. Thanks for the help in advance.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 09:23 AM
    The fever and chills are common with Kidney infections, but usually in the later stages. Do you still have your gall bladder? Just because of the location of that, it makes me curious.

Al hun, no reason to panic, I am sure this is nothing more than a UTI, whether it be upper or lower. They can be VERY common in pregnancy and are easily dealt with. Just make sure to talk openly about all of your symptoms with your doctor.

You are far enough along that there are antibiotics out there that are safe for you to take.
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Yes I sill have everything last time I checked... maybe not my mind.. LOL.. I hate it when she says something to me like that though and then can't finish her thought... she knows far more about that stuff than I and it always gets me concerned. With all the problems I have been having the last few weeks, I'm just on the edge I think... I just needed to hear something... thanks.
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 09:34 AM
    I'm sure it is nothing serious. We tend to feel more with subsequent pregnancies. My fourth was radically different than my first or second. I was more uncomfortable, felt more of the little "stitches" etc.

I'm sure you will be fine, and I know your doctor will clear it up for you in a couple of hours. Just keep us posted with what he says.
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Aug 7, 2007, 11:15 AM
    In my experience it can be easy to get a kidney infection from having a uti. I'm sure everything will be fine. Just let your doctor know your concerns. Also, I get uti's all the time (not just during pregnancy) and I take a once a day cranberry pill to help keep them away. My doctor is okay with me taking this, and actually said he appreciates it, knowing how easily I get them. It really does help. I will sometimes feel a uti coming on and take an extra cranberry pill and it will go away. The best place to get them is Walmart. Most other places only sell the ones that you have to take three times a day. Ask your doc about taking these. It may help keep them away. It's way better than drinking cranberry juice everyday in my opinion. Let us know how your appointment goes!
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Hey girl, sorry to hear about your troubles. UTI's are awful, annoying things. I use to get them a lot when I was little, and when I was pregnant with my first son. However, I got some advice from a doctor, saying to pee immediately every time after you have sex and take a bath. They said that it helped to clear the tracks of anything that may have gotten pushed up there, therefore helping to avoid UTI's. It worked for me, I haven't had one since (including during my pregnancy with my second son) So, its definitely worth a try. Making sure you are drinking plenty of water, lots of rest and pregnancy appropriate exercise helps as well. Some women are just more prone to them then others are, and when pregnant, one is much more susceptible to them. I have been told that if a UTI goes unchecked for too long of a period it can turn into a kidney infection. I don't think its very common for it to go that long undiagnosed, but unfortunately I am afraid I don't know much about that part.Hope all goes well at your doctor visit and he is able to shed a bit more light on things, and help ease your worries! Let us know
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 11:41 AM
    You are at the doctor by now, so all I can say is good luck and I hope everything goes well! Let us know what happens! :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Well the urine culture takes 3 days for a result, but they said there were traces of blood and white blood cells, so she felt pretty sure that was what the problem was. She said a lot of women complain about pain where I have it when they have UTIs, and she isn't sure why, but knows it is a common complaint. She gave me erythromycin (im allergic to penicillan), and then some other little orange thing to make my bladder hurt less. She said, I also could be having a problem due to my Group B strep... but she said the antibiotic would clear everything up. She said this just may be my "lucky pregnancy" for UTIs... LOL... but I feel much better.
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Yes, the dreaded little orange pills. Beware and don't be frightened, they will turn your pee orange, you may have to wear a pantyliner to keep from staining your panties. This is actually an analgesic pain reliever, it should work straight away.
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 01:20 PM
    That is exactly what she said, but she said it was worth it to lose the pain. Ill take it... lol.

This is definitely a new and interesting chapter in my pregnancy books... lol. The things I learn.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Glad things are taken care of now and you have relief. Hope you don't get anymore. Those uti's make you feel pretty crappy.
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Me too... me too. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does my boyfriend have a UTI? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, Im new to this but I have a question. I don't know if Im allowed to get really specific or not but my boyfriend told me yesterday that he felt sort of itching or some sort of burning but on the inside of his penis not the outside. He says that when he uses the restroom it sort of burns him....

Do I have a UTI? [ 8 Answers ]

Last night I noticed I had a frequent urge to urinate but, little came out. This morning my urine was sort of pinkish and the same thing was going on. Do I have a UTI? I am sexually active and a 16 year old female. My parents do not know that I am sexually active and I don't know how to confront...

UTI now Cystitis and pregnant [ 5 Answers ]

I am 7 weeks pregnant 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a UTI I was put on some antibiotics but they didn't work so I went back to the Dr who gave me some other type of antibiotics, this time sending my sample of to be tested further. These antibiotics eased the UTI but I don't think it...

Congrat's j_9! [ 1 Answers ]

J_9 wanted to congratulated you for becoming our nursing expert :) Well done. Opened a thread on this page for you, so here goes - wahhhoooo :) XX

View more questions Search