Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irishki Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Can Dad refuse to pay Mom's debt
    Can Dad legally post a disclaimer in the newspaper relinquishing responsibility for Mom's debt after xxx date?
    She refuses to stop spending money they don't have and is running them into debt again. Cutting up the credit cards didn't work. She got new ones.
    Dad's the sole provider. Mom doesn't work.
    Any suggestions to keep Dad out of the poor house (and eventually jail?)
    Stressed kid
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Well first you don't and can't go to jail for not paying your bills.
    But normally if they are married and not legally separated, in many states he will be liable for her debts
    SBowman Posts: 71, Reputation: 6

Jul 26, 2007, 07:46 AM
    That's a problem for me too. I'd like to know, since we've been in some financial issues for a while now. What would happen if they did separate, however?

I am in Canada, so I'm not sure how strong the deviation of the law is here from the States.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2007, 08:00 AM
    I think he would have to get a divorce. He should consult with a divorce attorney about this. I know it is possible to publicly relinquish responsibility for someone else's debts. But its just not that simple.
    SBowman Posts: 71, Reputation: 6

Jul 26, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Sounds logical.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 08:29 AM
    If the credit cards are in his name, he needs to call their customer service number and have the accounts closed.
    targa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 05:50 PM
    Need to check state community property law, I read a long time ago somewhere that if you are a community property state that you have to send notice as a spouse to a creditor upon opening of the account. You would need to verify that though, it has been awhile. He may want separate checking savings to protect from possible legal action against her in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt Should I Pay? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My Father Was Given A Credit Card Several Years Ago And Was Financially Unable To Pay It Off. Now He Has Been Served With A Court Date To Pay This Credit Card. He Does Not Own Anything And Is On Social Security, I Heard That There Is Nothing They Can Do To Him To Make Him Pay This Now. Please...

Pay off a credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I want to pay off an credit card debt. Which started at 300.00 and now is 900.00 due to my none payment and accuring interest. It has been charged off . How do I go about paying this debt but also wanting to reopen this credit card. Is this possible?

Do I have to pay this old Debt? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I received 1 bill from a neighborhood action group. 4 years after we to withdrawl from the group.We didm't use anything they offerd.Also 25 years before my husband also belonged to this club and dropped it again. 25 years later they send him a bill. Plus interest no word has been...

View more questions Search