Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tucsonmac Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Hot water stem leak
    My home was built in the 70's. My guest bath has a shower tub combination. There is a hot water handle, cold water handle and you pull up a diverter on the spout to the tub to send the water to the shower. When I turn on the hot water (knob on the left) water comes out of the spout and water shoots out from the knob as well. If I close the knob and turn on the cold water (knob on the right) water comes out of the knob on the left as well as the spout. Do I have a serious problem? The plumber that replaced my water heater said they would have to come in from the wall in the hall (behind the tub) and replace everything. I am concerned as water could be going into the wall as well as out the knob, and the grand kids are coming soon and they need to take baths. We have very hard water (lots of calcium) in Arizona so not sure I can do this myself if I need to take the stem and valve out. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 31, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Replacing everything can get expensive plus the wall repair. Try shutting off the main, remove the knob. There should be a hex collar that can be unscrewed allowing you to pull the stem. Replace the seat and the washer since they are in your hand but inspect the stem fro an "O" ring or packing that can be replaced. Make sure you tighten the hex collar when done. This should fix your issue but if you run into the unexpected just come back her.
    tucsonmac Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 03:59 PM
    OK But my fear is this. The chrome sleeve is so calcified that I can not get it to turn. Do both sleeve and the stem loosen counter clockwise? Or is one treaded the other way? I may take the sleeve of with the stem still stuck to it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 31, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Through CLR on it or some vinegar. Don't try acid or drain cleaner. I don't know exactly what your collar looks like but most everything unscrews counterclockwise. Don't forget to shut off your main and open the faucet to insure your watre is completely off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Leak near bathtub but no leak behind tub found [ 5 Answers ]

I recently noticed water marks in the ceiling on the lower floor that is about 3-6 feet away from the tub above that floor. I had noticed similar leak several years ago, just painted it over and did not see any more water marks for several years. I cannot seem to find where it is coming from. I...

How do I install a hot and cold valve stem for a bathtub? [ 8 Answers ]

I need to know if anyone can send me the steps for installing hot and cold valve stems for a bathtub and if you can send a diagram of a normal bathtub bathtub and what each part is so I can help my brother-in-law and sister get their bathtub fixed. Please respond as soon as you can. Thanks.

Hot water run in bathroom cuts out hot water in kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, Currently in our bungalow, if we run hot water in the bath & also run hot water in the kitchen tap, after a few seconds water from the kitchen taps stops. If we turn off the bath tap, water still refuses to flow from the kitchen tap. My wife knows a little about the history of the...

Replacing hot water stem [ 1 Answers ]

I removed the old stem and replaced it with a new one, but water won't completely shut off. What do I need to do?:confused: [email protected]

No water after shower stem repair [ 2 Answers ]

My shower faucet and handles had some minor dripping problems, so I decided to repair the hot and cold stems (2 handle shower stall). I got a repair kit and replaced the washers and changed the seats, but when I put the stems back and turned the water back on, there is no flow to the shower head!...

View more questions Search