Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 24, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Yes there is a pill that you can buy from prescription and I believe it is just one pill that cures it and you can use that pill along with some Monestat cream that you can buy from the department store. You can use the cream without a prescription but this doesn't guarantee that it will cure you because yeast comes from the inside too.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by brandy681
    Yes there is a pill that you can buy from prescription and I believe it is just one pill that cures it and you can use that pill along with some Monestat cream that you can buy from the department store. You can use the cream without a prescription but this doesn't guarantee that it will cure you because yeast comes from the inside too.
    You are supposed to put the cream inside that's what those applicator tubes are for, depending if it's the cream or the encapsulated types, they all get applied deep inside and normal walking etc distributes it well inside.

The pill is less hassle but you don't want to be using it more than once a year.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 25, 2007, 08:37 AM
    The pill is called Diflucan and it can be prescribed whenever you have a yeast infection.
    MicheleEB Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

May 25, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy
    You are supposed to put the cream inside thats what those applicator tubes are for, depending if its the cream or the encapsulated types, they all get applied deep inside and normal walking etc distributes it well inside.

The pill is less hassle but you don't want to be using it more than once a year.
    The cream applicator is similar to a tampon, if she's never used a tampon (ie used other forms) she may not be comfortable with it. Unfortunately that's about the easiest.

Also I agree about the acidophilus, there is a milk... and its not like soy or goats milk it tastes exactly the same as regular milk. I know because I drink it.
    Again no soap unless she finds one that is made for a woman's sensitive skin :) Even then very very little.
    I think its been mentioned but... yogurt.. a lot of it especially if she has recently been on any antibiotics.
    One more thing; after a period women tend to want to use a douche, NO NO NO NO. Again drying. Just clean well.

Now you, don't use any cleaners that may contain alcohol. (drying)
    Use a well known lube such as k-y etc.
    And cleaning up afterwards is the best prevention.
    And men can get them too so make sure you do this stuff too.
    Here is a website that may be helpful

Vaginal Yeast Infections-Topic Overview
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Also, douche will wash away the "good" bacteria - so it is a big no no.
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 25, 2007, 01:51 PM
    There is a lot of things that can cause a yeast infection.. Baths and bubble bath can cause a yeast infection because of the dirt and bubbles and I was told by my doc to stay away from baths. When I was very young my mom used to give me bubble baths sometimes and so she stopped giving them to me becauase I got yeast infections. There is also a special soap that you can buy from your vaginal area, that is sold in the tampon/pad personal section at the department store but you don't have to use this, you can use a light soap that is unsceneted. Ivory natural soap has never given me an infection and has been very good for all of my body parts. I do use the vaginal body soap and sometimes I do buy the sceneted kind but it has never made me itch or gave me an infection but if your skin is sensitive you can buy it in un-scented as well. I think the scented brand is very good at removing vaginal body odors and is very lightly scented. Also try using the acidophilus vitamin supplement or eating a lot of yogurt because it contains good bacteria and helps to remove the bad bacteria and it really DOES work in preventing yeast infection. In order to get rid of the infection you need to go to the store and buy some Monestat cream and you will need to also go to the doctor and they will give you a prescription for 1 pill called diflucin (1 pill is all it takes) and it will remove all the yeast inside of you where the Monestat cannot reach. For it to be successful you will need to do both and then afterwards just start eating yogurt and being very careful about baths and be clean after sex, etc. This is about all the advice that you could possibly get on this subject.
    sexcccy013lv Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

May 25, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iupetre
    Hey guys got a problem. My fiancé says that she is getting "yeasty" not long after we have had sex. The last few times we've had sex, I made sure to get extra special clean, but she says it happens again. I've been to a doctor to have some test done on me, but he says I'm clean.

What are we doing wrong?

We could use a health expert!
    If your clean not to be mean but maybe she needs to go to a doctor there is over the counter medicine for that anyway
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Yes there is diflucan.

If you are a "natural health" person, consider using yoghurt as a lubricant- the use of a teaspoon of yoghurt as part of lubrication sounds weird however the acidofolous may help.

This can also be used over a tampon and then inserted for a while. Here is some data I've located for you:
    This home remedy is for vaginal yeast infections.

1. Go to the store and buy a small carton of "plain" yogurt -- doesn't matter whether it is name brand or store brand or is nonfat, lowfat or wholefat because you are NOT going to eat it. But make sure it is PLAIN with NO fruit, NO added sugar (milk sugar listed on the carton doesn't count of course), and NO flavoring in it of ANY type. You should make sure that whatever type yogurt you buy has "ACTIVE CULTURES" listed on its container.

2. While you're at the store pick up a box of tampons to go with the yogurt.

3. Pay for them. No one will look at you weird and no one will ask for any ID. ( this #3 is a humorous point only, so laugh... but do pay!)

Now you're curious, aren't you?

But seriously now,

4. Go home and take one of the tampons and dip it into the yogurt and insert it into the vagina, allowing it to stay in place for at least an hour or so -- longer certainly won't hurt you. It is COOL and SOOTHING for one thing and will get some of the "good bacteria" right where it is needed the most since that is the main reason to use it -- to get the "GOOD" bacteria into where there is a build up of too much "bad" yeast type bacteria.

5. Continue this for once or twice a day for two or three days, or as long as needed, until the situation resolves itself.

6. Of course, REMEMBER TO KEEP THE CONTAINER OF "MEDICINAL" YOGURT SEPARATE FROM THE OTHER ONES IN YOUR FRIG THAT YOU MIGHT EAT (and of course throw out any leftovers). You can more than likely use homemade yogurts too.

Bye-hope this helps!
    antymay Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 10:08 PM
    Hey,
    One of the most common first signs of aids is recurrent yeast infections. Has she been tested? Is she taking antibiotics for urinary tract infections?
    honey2700 Posts: 27, Reputation: -1

Jun 3, 2007, 04:27 PM
    I get yeast infections every single month. I get so many different medications from my doctor which makes it worse. I find the only things that kept me from having one for the last 4 months first is cleaning. Make sure your genital areas are clean clean clean and wash your hands before and after you do anything. If your go down on each other brush your teeth also. Another thing is this gel I get from the drug store. It lubes the vagina, balances the ph, and keeps you from getting yeast infections. I use it every 3 days or after intercourse. Another thing is this femine soap I got from avon. It balance the ph and is safe for your vagina. These steps are the only thing that helped me. Believe me I'm a yeast infection doctor. I had them all the time and I got bad ones where cuts would form and I would bleed and almost die from pain. Tell her to try some of these steps.
    deedeedee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2011, 10:20 PM
    Fluconazole
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2011, 12:18 AM

Deedeedee,

You responded to a 4 years old thread I am sure it is long gone, Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kidney Infections [ 1 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with a severe kidney infection and treated twice with anti botics. The last antbiotic was so hard on my system it left me with joint aches and retaining water. I just don't know, I still feel horrible it has been March 1, 2007, The drug was Levaquin and the docs are saying maybe the...

My dad and his infections [ 11 Answers ]

Hi I am asking about my dad who is 75 years old he is disabled. He suffers from Ascites Liver decease decompensated 2 degrees: He is in remission from alcohol for about 4 years, however he has oedema of the stomach. He is constantly getting urine infections where he is losing all awareness of his...

Chronic Bladder Infections [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: My name is Vanessa and I am 18 years young. My question is does anybody knows what is wrong with me? I have had bladder infection since basically May of this year. I go to the doctor they give me antibiotics and that I go home same routine over and over again. I will take the antibiotics...

Frequent infections [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I am a very worried mom. My son, who is 19 years old was diagnosed with mononucleosis almost 1 year ago. It seems since then, he catches everything that is going around. Presently he is sick with an oral thrush, has had a fever the last few days, although that has now cleared up, and a...

Useful aspects of virus infections [ 2 Answers ]

Without succes I have searched the internet for studies about useful aspects of virus infections like a lower cancer risk for people who have had some childhood illnesses (chicken pox etc.). Every hint is welcome.

View more questions Search