Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinktoys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 10:31 AM
    Chronic Bladder Infections
    :confused: My name is Vanessa and I am 18 years young. My question is does anybody knows what is wrong with me? I have had bladder infection since basically May of this year. I go to the doctor they give me antibiotics and that I go home same routine over and over again. I will take the antibiotics and about a week and a half later the infection comes back. I have seen a urologist and been tested over and over again. Can anybody give me and idea of what is going on with me?:eek: :eek:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 29, 2006, 01:28 PM
    Are you sexually active? If so, this could be part of the cause, it has been called honeymoon cystitis. If you are, you need to urinate immediately after sex.

Do you drink a lot of caffinated beverages? If so, you need to cut them out as caffine does not always allow the bladder to empty completely.

Do you drink a lot of water? If not, you should start as it will help cleanse the bladder.

When you are given the antibiotics do you take the entire treatment or do you stop when the symptoms go away?

What happens is although the symptoms are gone, the specific bacteria is not completely killed and out of your system. It goes into hibernation, so to speak. Then when you stop the meds earlier then required the bacteria effectively "wakes back up" and begins to multiply again.

It sounds as though you are not finishing your round of antibiotics because you should be taking them for at least 10 days. Some antibiotics need to be taken 2 or 3 times a day for 10 days to completely kill the bacteria.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chronic Headaches [ 1 Answers ]

What do you suggest to help a teenager who has a headache all the time, she is 17 now and has had headaches since puberty. Some times they are severe and other days milder but they are ALWAYS there.

Frequent infections [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I am a very worried mom. My son, who is 19 years old was diagnosed with mononucleosis almost 1 year ago. It seems since then, he catches everything that is going around. Presently he is sick with an oral thrush, has had a fever the last few days, although that has now cleared up, and a...

Chronic nightmares [ 24 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) 8 years ago, after witnessing a shooting in my family. I used to have very dehabilitating symptoms and wasn't able to go to school or work, but after years of intensive treatments I've improved dramatically. However, I still have constant,...

Chronic Crushes [ 5 Answers ]

I've been in a relationship with a wonderful person for almost 4 years now. I love him dearly and would never jeopardize what we have. The most annoying thing is that I have found myself having crushes, the most recent of which has got me thinking about the relationship. This new crush is not a...

Useful aspects of virus infections [ 2 Answers ]

Without succes I have searched the internet for studies about useful aspects of virus infections like a lower cancer risk for people who have had some childhood illnesses (chicken pox etc.). Every hint is welcome.

View more questions Search