Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ooofuo1980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2015, 04:05 AM
    Safety question Fiberoptic Cam being used in wiring for monthes?
    I have a question. Staying away from whether its possible or not cause I know for sure that it is already being done. How dangerous for a neighbor from a nearby house to stick a Fiberopic camera through their power lines into the main grid of the powerlines than into a neighbior's home for surveillance reasons?
    We are not talking days or week rather monthes and soon years. What about friction against the wiring in the home and in the rooms? Would the coating on the wires show wear as that cam was being moved around to wach someone from room to room? Is friction and wear on those wires a real possibility since they rubs against them?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 30, 2015, 06:15 AM
    Sorry, but your question is not very clear. It may be possible to send data from a camera in one residence over the public utility power grid to a home next door - but I don't understand your question about "friction." What wires are being moved? Do you mean the fiber optic bundle?

I assume the type of camera you are asking about is one like this: http://www.amazon.com/CrazyFire%C2%AE-Endoscope-Waterproof-Borescope-Inspection/dp/B00EQNCMTY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1448889272&sr=8-5&keywords=Fiber+Optic+Camera
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 30, 2015, 07:01 AM
    Pure B.S.! Show me the hook-up, send pics. You have absolutely no idea how residential wiring is done.

In order for that to happen, the fool would have to go through his panelboard past the service drop or service lateral entry point, through the meter base for his building. Then find the correct service delivery for the neighbor's drop or lateral, advance the camera through the meter base at the victim's home, through the service entry point, then into the panelboard cabinet where it is met by a closed panelboard cabinet!!

The net gain of this stupidity would be looking at the inside of a gray metal box.

To accomplish what you describe, you would have to had access to the building site during the construction of the building and then wired each individual room with a camera.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 30, 2015, 10:23 AM
    Be careful what you say, this is an international web site. It is monitored by NSA looking for unstable individuals.
    Donf is already on their watch list.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2015, 11:16 AM
    Besides... ever take a close look at the power lines outside. None of them are hollow or in tubes or conduit that anything at all could be slipped through. Then if you have ever seen a breaker panel and beyond you would see much of the same... generally nothing anything could be slipped through the way you suggested anyway.

(some Condominiums and Apartments excluded)

That's not saying there isn't plenty of OTHER ways you can be spied on... just that one is exceptionally unlikely for a multitude of reasons.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2015, 08:50 PM
    The wire, to move, would have to be inside of a stationary outside cover. It could not merely move back and forth within the other wires, to move a camera.

And they could merely piggy back from the actual power cables, from a stationary box and any remote activity would not be done besides locally.
    But with that all said and done, wireless would be the only way to really to.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 1, 2015, 02:12 AM
    Keep in mind that what tis poster is suggesting is just a tad illegal!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2015, 02:16 AM
    Not with consent of course, and it is suggested that this has been going on, (already) for months, so I would assume, that he is the one, who believes they are being spied on. (my guess) and is looking for a way to prove it. Not to say you can not remotely move a optic camera around in wiring ducts within a house.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 1, 2015, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Keep in mind that what tis poster is suggesting is just a tad illegal!
    What the OP is suggesting is complete lunacy.

I'd seek professional help if I were them. That is no way to go through life.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 1, 2015, 07:22 PM
    I'm wondering if the OP has ever been diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2015, 05:59 PM
    Looking at your avatar I completely understand why those words come to your mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer/ Web Cam Question [ 2 Answers ]

I use a Hewlett Packard Desktop computer with Windows 7 and it was purchased in Oct. 2009. I would like to install SKYPE where I could "see" my relatives in another area. They all have laptops and I "believe" the camera is built into the laptops. A few days ago I got a message in the...

Need wiring diagram cam sensor 01 sonata [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 01 Hyundai Sonata that the cam sensor plug is broke. I want to wire it direct to the cam sensor. Threre are 3 wires one pink and two black. I need to know which order they go.

Need wiring diagram cam sensor 01 sonata [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Hyundai Sonata 2001. The cam sensor plug is broke, I need to know where the wires go to wire it direct.

Wiring cam stat limit switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a old lennox furance.It have a combination limit & time start fan control cam-stat,Falts57c-65t-120-a.I am trying to wire up the thermstat to this unit so it can come on and off.It have tranformer,2 limit switch,relayer,gas vavle.

Wiring Safety [ 4 Answers ]

Is is safe to rewire a phone jack with your fingers?

View more questions Search