Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulmars Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2014, 09:46 PM
    Looking for rafter straps
    I need to secure these rafters to the cinderblock top plate. They are just
    Toe nailed in now. I want something stronger that I can screw in w/o
    Removing the planking. Any ideas?

I might install rafter ties, but Im looking for alternatives.

Pics Looking For Rafter Straps - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2014, 12:15 PM
    How are they "toed" into block, where is the plate attached? I do not see any block in photo.

Apr 6, 2014, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    How are they "toed" into block, where is the plate attached? I do not see any block in photo.
    See 2nd and 3rd pic. All 3 points shown.
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2014, 10:27 AM
    The rafter ties in your picture go from the rafter to the top plate. The top plate should be attached to the block wall with strap ties or j bolts, otherwise the roof would have blown off by now. How is the plate attached to the block?

Apr 7, 2014, 11:01 AM
    The hurricane straps in my pic attach to the block. The top plate attaches to blocks with bolts as shown.
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2014, 05:52 PM
    Sorry, I'm a little confused with the pics. So, you are telling me all the rafter ties are nailed to the block wall? That is a very unorthodox way to attach a roof. In high wind areas, if that is a concern, the primary way is to attach straps from the roof rafters or trusses, down the walls to the foundation. In my house, Atlanta area, the roof trusses are toenailed and rafter tied to the top plate. Survived a Tornado 4 yrs. Ago with only shingle loss.
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Apr 8, 2014, 06:06 AM
    Maybe items below

Simpson Strong-Tie L50 Reinforcing Angles

Buy Right Angle Driver Bit Accessory at Woodcraft.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace fuel tank straps on 1997 Lincoln Town Car [ 0 Answers ]

How to replace fuel tank straps on 1997 Lincoln Town Car?

Rafter size [ 4 Answers ]

I am building a shop with a shingle roof, My rafters will be about 10' long, Can I use 2x4 for my rafters?

Straps For Flex Conduit [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find out about how to properly strap aluminum flex conduit. In my new addition I choose to use aluminum flex throughout and I wanted to know the proper way to securley fasten the conduit to the studs. I started a small portion of the conduit and for this I'm using 1/2" flex. Well I...

Proper fasteners for copper pipe straps [ 8 Answers ]

When mounting sweated copper pipe to wood framing using copper pipe straps, what type of fastener should be used? I have always been confused about what causes the galvanic reaction between copper and steel. Are drywall screws OK to use? Thanks much for the advise. TWC

Rafter square [ 1 Answers ]

I want to build an addition on my home and don't know how to use a rafter square to cut the rafters. This is a project I really want to do on my own but lack the expertise in figuring the cuts on a rafter. If someone has a simple but accurate way of using the square, I'd REALLY appreciate hearing...

View more questions Search