Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roycemek Posts: 44, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Straps For Flex Conduit
    I'm trying to find out about how to properly strap aluminum flex conduit. In my new addition I choose to use aluminum flex throughout and I wanted to know the proper way to securley fasten the conduit to the studs. I started a small portion of the conduit and for this I'm using 1/2" flex. Well I decided to check both Home Depot and Lowes yesterday and for some reason I cannot find the correct straps for 1/2" aluminum flex. I found 3/8" one hole flex straps but nothing larger. Then I look over in the rigid section and they have 1/2" one hole straps but they are too small. I tried the 3/4" one hole straps and it seems a little loose but fits ok. The same goes for the two hole straps. Should I be using the 3/4" one hole straps? Or maybe I should be using something else all together?

One other question, according to the NEC, can aluminum flex conduit be exposed or does it need to be covered with sheetrock? How about the "smurf" conduit?

Thank you,
    Royce M
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Try finding the Drive Straps shown here:
    Briscon Products - STRAPS

Otherwise, one hole straps that fit will work, even if they are a bit loose.

Straps are needed no more than 12" from a box, and then every 4.5 feet, unless it is fished in voids behind finishes.

Sure FMC can be exposed, just not subjected to any physical damage. Same for the ENT (Electrical Nonmetallic Tubing- AKA Smurf Tube, called Smurf tube because of the same blue color as a Smurf), except strapping must not exceed 3 feet.

Be careful with strapping the aluminum flex, it can crush easily.

Don't forget the green wire in all runs of FMC.
    roycemek Posts: 44, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Thanks TK. I will look for the drive straps and will definitely run a green for all runs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper fasteners for copper pipe straps [ 8 Answers ]

When mounting sweated copper pipe to wood framing using copper pipe straps, what type of fastener should be used? I have always been confused about what causes the galvanic reaction between copper and steel. Are drywall screws OK to use? Thanks much for the advise. TWC

Attaching Flex Natural Gas line. [ 2 Answers ]

I am attaching a new fex gas line to a new cook top. The new line comes with flare fittings that screw into the flex hose fitting. Should I use any sealant on the threads of the flare fitting. Thanks.

Do I need conduit? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a panel in my garage for my garage based workshop. I want to run a 220 volt circuit (have have the capacity in the panel to do so). My question is whether I need to run the wire inside conduit or can I run romex without conduit. The wire will be behind drywall the entire way so it will...

Hanging flex ducts [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding 2 rooms to my home. I have a forced air AC/Gas Furnace system that uses flexible ducts. They are lying on top of my joists and insulation. I read somewhere that they should be hung up. Should I do my 2 new rooms hung up? Why?

View more questions Search