Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 9, 2014, 10:32 AM
    Craftman snowthrower
    I have a snowthrower that is 8 years old. I live in new england and need this to last a few more years. It is electric start and usually starts right up. Last storm I went to start it and the smell of burning belts start to come from the machine. I took it to a friends house with a garage and to the cover off to reveal the belts. They all seem fine but I connot pull the starter cord now like it is frozen? I am not sure where to start? I thought it was the belt but now I'm at a loss. Any ideas?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Feb 10, 2014, 11:30 PM
    Hi,
    Does it use a drive/driven disc pair for the motion drive system? Often that system will give the same odor since one of the pair is rubber sheathed. Could be a seized bearing there, or in an idler. Easier to answer when model number is supplied.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2014, 04:03 AM
    Hi mtconc, I would start by pulling the belt from the motor to determine which part of the machine is locked up. If the motor turns with the belt off then look at the driven pulleys and auger for problem. Good luck
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 12, 2014, 02:17 PM
    Thanks for the help. Going to go look at it this weekend

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I find a snowthrower that attaches to a discontinued Sears Craftman Rider [ 1 Answers ]

Craftman Rider Lawntractor 24 hp/724cc 46"cut Model 3917 289281 the snowthrower that the tractor has under the hood is #24838. Sears is useless to help. Bought it from them but their sight needs definite overhaul when it comes to discontinued items or guidance to who can help. Spent $2000 for...

Craftsman Snowthrower 536884500 [ 1 Answers ]

I can't find the owners manual anywhere for model 536884500. Neither sears or any other site has it. Anyone know here it can be found or a similar model manual?

Snowthrower carburator [ 0 Answers ]

Toro snowthrower Model 38072 starts right up and runs great, however it will only run with the choke on. It stalls when choke is turned off. Any suggestions? Thanks, Dave

View more questions Search