Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jun 13, 2013, 07:35 PM
    Poodle trying to hump my cat
    I have a male toy poodle and one of my cats is female. All are neutered. They all get along well and often sleep on the couch together. Tonight, I caught my poodle humping my female cat. My cat is about 4 pounds heavier than my poodle, but didn't try to stop him, although she looked a bit upset. My poodle didn't look like he thought he did anything wrong, and my cat wasn't hurt, so I didn't scold him. Has this happened to anyone else's pets and is it normal?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 07:44 PM
    It's time for you to have "the talk" with your poodle.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2013, 11:43 AM
    I doubt this is a sexual thing.. dogs hump other critters or things... both behavioral. The first reason why dogs hump is to establish dominance. The other reason is bad manners. Both reasons should be corrected before your cat starts to stress.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2013, 12:25 PM
    You could make your pets famous by recording it and putting it on YouTube. While you work on the behavior correction.

Jun 14, 2013, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    You could make your pets famous by recording it and putting it on YouTube. While you work on the behavior correction.
    Ha ha, good one, I have to admit it is pretty funny since my poodle is very cute and it's a bit shocking to see him acting so aggressively. He would never hurt my cat, so I'm not too worried about it.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2013, 10:10 AM
    You should be worried! Your dog can stress your cat out to the point of peeing around your home in distress... than you'll be on the cats forum wondering why your cat isn't peeing in the litter box.

You need to stop this behavior NOW.. not later, not after you've made a YouTube video, but now.

Would you like to be harassed by someone? I know I wouldn't.

Jun 15, 2013, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    You should be worried! Your dog can stress your cat out to the point of peeing around your home in distress... than you'll be on the cats forum wondering why your cat isn't peeing in the litter box.

You need to stop this behavior NOW.. not later, not after you've made a YouTube video, but now.

Would you like to be harassed by someone? I know I wouldn't.
    I think that I've made some progress with my dog. I've gotten him to stop doing it when I'm around and if I catch him doing it, I give him a stern look and say no and he quickly stops. He still does it when he thinks I'm not looking so hopefully I can train him more. It's good that my cat can jump higher and go up and down stairs to get away if the dog bothers her when I'm not watching.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wants to hump [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 2 1/2 yr old Mini Daschund I had him fixed when he was a baby because he was humping when he was only 8 weeks old, but then he started humping stuffed animals and now he tries to hump my foot all the time while I am laying on the couch watching TV. It is very annoying because I constantly...

Wants to hump our arm [ 3 Answers ]

We have a very loving five year old female Dacshund. She has been fixed since very young. However she loves to hump our arms at times and she licks our arm while doing this. While this is quite amusing we wonder why she does this. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

Jump bump and hump [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know what I should do about this plonict friends zone I have ended up in.I have been friends with her for about 5 years now and the last two we have became close with what seems to be a speical bond.This makes it even harder the times I have brought up my deeper feelins about her with...

Hump Day Humor [ 1 Answers ]

Dropped Your Wallet Two fishermen were out on the lake when one of them dropped his wallet. As they watched the wallet float down to the depths of the lake, a carp came along and snatched up the wallet. Soon came another carp who stole it away and then a third joined in. Remarked one of the...

View more questions Search