Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imac567 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2012, 04:34 PM
    Expansion tank in NC, max distance from Wtr Htr?
    Can someone please tell me how far from my water heater I can install a 2g thermal expansion tank? I would like it to be outside of the house in my pump shed. We will be connecting to county water and the valve, dual check, PRV and gauge will be in the shed, can I put the tank in there also? It will only be about 15 feet from the water heater. Thank you.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2012, 06:25 PM
    How will you keep it from freezing?
    imac567 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2012, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    How will you keep it from freezing?
    If it ever got cold enough for ANYTHING in there to freeze then I'll have more problems than a frozen expansion tank!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2012, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by imac567 View Post
    If it ever got cold enough for ANYTHING in there to freeze then I'll have more problems than a frozen expansion tank!
    You should be OK. Anywhere after check valve and before heater. Mine is about 5 ft away and 2 ft above HW heater.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2012, 08:39 AM
    It don't get cold enough to freeze in North Carolina? You can feel thermal expansion by simply placing you hand on the cold water feed line. If it's warm or hot then that's the water expanding and that's where I'd cut in a tee for the expansion tank. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2012, 05:00 PM
    Well systems don't need those since the pressure tank performs the job of the little expansion tank you are thinking of installing. That tank is a long ways from the hot water heater. Since water pressure is dynamic, I'd think putting it outside would work. But Speedball's suggestion would be about as easy as putting it anywhere else, so you might want to go with it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2012, 07:34 AM
    If you really want to do it right you'll install the expansion tank close to the heater and install a check valve just ahead of it, good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Expansion tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys. Where would I install an expansion tank? I have radiators and don't have an expansion tank.

Do I need an expansion tank [ 1 Answers ]

The temperature and pressure relief valve on my gas hot water heater has been leaking for a while, we have a small bucket catching the water and dump it every few days. I decided to do something about it this weekend and replaced the T&P valve. New T&P leaks so I was thinking I may have a pressure...

Expansion tank [ 2 Answers ]

Recently my submerged well pump has been running every 4 minutes and then shutting down, I also noticed that water pressure is lower than usual and that the pump runs to keep the pressure at 28-30 psi. Is there a problem with the expansion tank?

Use of expansion tank [ 1 Answers ]

Why do I use expansion tank in a chilled water system?

Expansion tank [ 1 Answers ]

If I install a water pressure reducing valve on my main line for my hot water heater,do I need to install an expansion tank for my hot water heater?

View more questions Search