Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emrazz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2012, 01:54 PM
    Bathroom GFCI's in commercial bathrooms
    I have 4 bathrooms with an outlet next to each sink in a commercial space that will eventually be a production studio. Do I have to run a dedicated 20 Amp circuit to each GFI or can they be daisy chained together?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 17, 2012, 03:45 PM
    If they are already there why does it matter?

Sep 17, 2012, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    If they are already there why does it matter?
    I guess I should have been more clear. I have to rough wire 4 bathrooms . They are not wired yet . I'm pretty sure in 210 it says that commercial bathrooms do not need an outlet. Just wanted to confirm

Sep 17, 2012, 05:20 PM
    You are right. There is no minimum requirement for non-dwelling type bathrooms.
    You can do whatever you want.
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Sep 17, 2012, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emrazz View Post
    I guess I should have been more clear. I have to rough wire 4 bathrooms . They are not wired yet . I'm pretty sure in 210 it says that commercial bathrooms do not need an outlet. Just wanted to confirm
    There's no print? Ask the GC if he wants them in there, or the owner might want them. We always put one in there, people like to use blow dryers and shavers at work. You do have to have an occupancy sensor to control the light and a manual override for the occupancy sensor per title 24

We've been using these
    http://www.legrand.us/~/media/48384B...bc=ffffff&as=0

Sep 18, 2012, 03:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shuntripper View Post
    You do have to have an occupancy sensor to control the light and a manual override for the occupancy sensor per title 24
    Did title 24 get passed nation wide? I hope not.
    If it did I'm moving to Canada!
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2012, 04:03 AM
    ... and you thought Jersey was difficult...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2012, 04:22 AM
    To answer your question:

Quote Originally Posted by Emrazz View Post
    I have 4 bathrooms with an outlet next to each sink in a commercial space that will eventually be a production studio. Do I have to run a dedicated 20 Amp circuit to each GFI or can they be daisy chained together?
    A well designed system would consist of a dedicated 20 Amp circuit to each GFI outlet.

Imagine , since there are four sinks, and it is a production studio, all four could easily be used at the same time, or at least two used at once.

Standard hair dryers are 1500 to 1800 watts ,each. Only one can operate at once on one 20 Amp circuit.

If there are plans and specs, refer this question to the designer.

If this is design/build, you are responsible to provide a working system.

Consider if you owned the production studio, what would you expect?

Regarding the discussion of Title 24, this is the California Energy Code, and only applicable and enforceable in California.

However, most, if not all states, have their own energy conservation code, that need to be reviewed and included in any building design.

I am not sure moving to Canada would be any better.

I will stay here in Maine, surrounded by an arsenal.

Sep 18, 2012, 04:40 AM
    Just to make it clear. I was basing my answers solely on code, not design or convenience.
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Sep 18, 2012, 04:42 AM
    Did title 24 get passed nation wide?? I hope not.
    If it did I'm moving to Canada!
    OP didn't say where he was, anyway you'll get it eventually, California is what you'll get if you keep voting for the usual suspects

Sep 18, 2012, 04:56 AM
    You are right. There is no minimum requirement for non-dwelling type bathrooms.
    You can do whatever you want.
    Thank you!
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2012, 01:06 PM
    Looks like you heard what you wanted.

Stan is correct, I have absolutely no dispute with what he offered.

Low bidder gets the job, and buyer beware.

Just my opinion.
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Sep 18, 2012, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post

I will stay here in Maine, surrounded by an arsenal.
    Tk, just a question, I've heard in parts of Maine you inspect your own work... Is that true?
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2012, 02:30 AM
    Only with Residential , when there is no local city inspector, the master electrician will apply for a permit and when signing off will assume all liability and responsibility that all is done per Code. The utility will inspect the service entrance only.

Commercial and industrial, again, when no local city inspector, we apply for a state permit, and state inspector will inspect.

I will say, outside of the larger cities, it is a bit lax, but they treat us as the professionals and expect us to assume all liability.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI's, Outlets [ 3 Answers ]

Don't know if you have heard about the floods in North Dakota, but I am one of the unlucky ones, not so, that it was my main home but a cabin that I built. I have Tamper resistant/water resistant outlets outside. I have tamper resistant gfci's inside. Plus just tamper resistant outlets. Are they...

Gfci's outlet protection for 20 amp circuits [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a 100amp service in my garage how many outlets will a gfci protect

Adding bathrooms upstream from basement bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Speedball1, provided an excellent explanation of how to configure the drain and vents for my basement bathroom. So now next question: if I have another 2 bathrooms one on the 1st floor and one on the second floor each having 1 sink, 1 toilet, and 1 tub and 1 kitchen sink on the 2nd floor, can I...

Commercial bathroom cleaning bid [ 1 Answers ]

This is somrthing new to our business. I need help writing a bid for cleaning mens and women's restrooms in a chain of retail stores. How much should I charge? How do I charge for consumables? What is the going rate for a trip charge/ fuel charge for travel?

View more questions Search