Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrkram Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Adding bathrooms upstream from basement bathroom
    Speedball1, provided an excellent explanation of how to configure the drain and vents for my basement bathroom. So now next question: if I have another 2 bathrooms one on the 1st floor and one on the second floor each having 1 sink, 1 toilet, and 1 tub and 1 kitchen sink on the 2nd floor, can I use the same configuration speedball1 provided for the basement bathroom, and add the 2nd and 3rd floor bathroom and 2nd floor kitchen sink, all their drains and vents so that all three bathrooms plus the kitchen sink share the same run of drain and vent pipes as long as I connect each configuration group above the one downstream?

Thanks again,
    mrkram
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 2, 2007, 02:42 PM
    can I use the same configuration speedball1 provided for the basement bathroom, and add the 2nd and 3rd floor bathroom and 2nd floor kitchen sink, all their drains and vents so that all three bathrooms plus the kitchen sink share the same run of drain and vent pipes as long as I connect each configuration group above the one downstream?
    Yes, your fixture-unit count for three bathrooms plus a kitchen sink falls with in the limits set by The Standard Plumbing Code providing the main under the slab is 4". I take it the bathrooms will be stacked one over the other. You will have to revent the basement lav back to the 1st floor lav vent at least 6" over that lavs flood rim and so on up the line till it exits out the roof. Not knowing the placement of the kitchen sink I can only assume it will have to be vented separately. As with any major remodel job check the local codes. Good luck, Tom
    mrkram Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 05:10 AM
    Thank you speedball1,

Well I wish the baths were stacked one over the other but their not. Under my basement slab the 4" drain splits. One direction to the basement bath and 2nd floor bath, the other direction to the 1st floor bath. I was hoping to rejoin that 4" drain waste vent at least 6" above the 2nd floor lavs flood rim and above that I would like to connect the feed to my other various drain vents so that I can reduce my roof vents to one single vent. Am I barking up the wrong tree here, or is this project doable as long as its done right?

Thanks again,

mrkram
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2007, 06:53 AM
    would like to connect the feed to my other various drain vents so that I can reduce my roof vents to one single vent.
    This is called reventing and eliminates the clutter on your roof. The only drawback to this is if you have to snake from a vent stack. You'll have to take you equipment up to the attic, cut the vent open and snake from the attic. After you'll have to reconnect everything back.
    Am I barking up the wrong tree here, or is this project doable as long as its done right?
    You're on the right track. Keep checking in. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a basement bathroom [ 4 Answers ]

I want to add a bathroom in my basement. I have an iron pipe (vertical) passing from upstairs through the basement floor. Can I cut this and put in a section of pvc pipe and install a back connect toilet? Any suggests? Ideas? Will help DRYFLYROD

Adding bathroom in basement with airvent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I need to know how I would hook my airvent up to the new bathroom I was putting in my basement? Also my main drain pipe runs along the inside wall of my basement slowly droping beneath the slab, How would I tie into that for the shower and toilet? Would the airvent tie into the pipe that I...

Adding a bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to add a bathroom on the second floor in any space? We have some attic space on top of our garage which is close to a bedroom on the second floor. Will it be possible to add a bathroom in that space, so the room will have an attached bathroom? If not the room also has a big walk in...

Adding bathroom to basement [ 12 Answers ]

I am finishing our basement and adding a bathroom. The builder did not stub in the drains so I have to do this. What do you recommend I use to break up the concrete floor where I'll be adding the sewer and shower drains? I was thinking about renting an electric jack-hammer. I had also...

Adding bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add another bathroom on my main floor. Just a sink and toilet. The house is fairly long and all the plumbing pipe are toward the middle and where I want to put the new bath is toward the back which is about 30 feet away from all the piping. Water line are no problem but my concern was the...

View more questions Search