Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CarlyTD Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Sep 3, 2012, 12:39 PM
    Washing Machine Box Placement
    I am moving my stack-able washer/dryer to a second floor closet and I am wondering if it is OK to put the shut offs/Waste line behind the machine with access from the back (via another closet)?

Also, I am adding about 15" of 2" PVC for the drain. Does the trap need to go close to the machine or can it go anywhere in the 15' run? Also, 36" from trap to washer hose?

Thanks very much.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 12:45 PM
    Hi Carly

You want to install a single lever washing machine shutoff valve at a place where you can shut the water off to the washing machine after each wash. You also want to install stainless steel braided hoses to the machine.

Now, you want to install the PTRAP right next to the machine and install the vent for the drain connecting it to an existing vent or installing an air admittance valve (called an AAV), if allowed in your area. Standpipe is 30-36" and needs hose to be above the washing machine when it fits into the standpipe.

Finally, if I was installing a washing machine on the second floor I would also be installing a FLOOD STOP AUTOMATIC shut off valve as an emergency backup flood control just in case a hose bursts or the washing machine overflows. Google it and look into it as these devices can save thousands in damage, OK?

Back to you...

Mark
    Attached Images

Sep 3, 2012, 01:06 PM
    Thanks Mass. So the two valve Oatley box I bought at Home Depot is not recommended? Also, the original 2" line is vented. Does my adding 12" of run require additional venting?

Thanks again..

Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Carly

You want to install a single lever washing machine shutoff valve at a place where you can shut the water off to the washing machine after each wash. You also want to install stainless steel braided hoses to the machine.

Now, you want to install the PTRAP right next to the machine and install the vent for the drain connecting it to an existing vent or installing an air admittance valve (called an AAV), if allowed in your area. Standpipe is 30-36" and needs hose to be above the washing machine when it fits into the standpipe.

Finally, if I was installing a washing machine on the second floor I would also be installing a FLOOD STOP AUTOMATIC shut off valve as an emergency backup flood control just in case a hose bursts or the washing machine overflows. Google it and look into it as these devices can save thousands in damage, OK?

Back to you...

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2012, 01:38 PM
    So the two valve Oatley box I bought at Home Depot is not recommended? Also, the original 2" line is vented. Does my adding 12" of run require additional venting?
    If this is the washer box you b ought .(see image)m I see no problem in installing it, This means opening up the wall and installing the box on the studs. (see image)
    As shown in the image the trap and stand pip now becomes part of the washer box.
    the original 2" line is vented. Does my adding 12" of run require additional venting?
    you will have to run a new vent off the sanitary tee the trap connects to and run it over to the old vent and connect using a inverted tee, Don't forget to slope the line back to the washer. And lastly I would place the washer on a washer pan and run a 3/4" PVC line out for a drain. Good luck. Tom
    Attached Images

Sep 3, 2012, 02:12 PM
    Thanks Speedball.. That is the box. So from my diagram, does it look like I will need additional venting. Basically all I am doing is raising the drain line to the second floor..

Also, The washer is going in a closet but the dryer vent, supply lines, and rain come from behind. I am wondering if it is acceptable to put the washer box in the closet behind the washer (so you would have to go in the other closet to shut the water off). Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    If this is the washer box you b ought .(see image)m I see no problem in installing it, This means opening up the wall and installing the box on the studs. (see image)
    As shown in the image the trap and stand pip now becomes part of the washer box.
    you will have to run a new vent off the sanitary tee the trap connects to and run it over to the old vent and connect using a inverted tee, Don't forget to slope the line back to the washer. And lastly I would place the washer on a washer pan and run a 3/4" PVC line out for a drain. Good luck. Tom
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2012, 02:56 PM
    The washer box should be facing the washer, I realize you're trying to install the washer station without tearing up more then's necessary but you're into a major remodel here, Let's do it right.
    Your original hook up left you with a direct open connection to the sewer allowing sewer gas to enter your home. Both dumb and unhealthy. Could also get your house red tagged by The Health Department,
    If you share plumbing with a neighbor where do you live and where does this line run to? If something's draining into it you can't use it as a vent, What will be done whit the old washer set up?
    How far is it from the trap to the new vent? Back to you, Tom

Sep 3, 2012, 03:23 PM
    There is no room for the washer box to fit beside the washer. This is old military housing, all concrete, and there is a bathroom directly behind the closet. My only option is to put it behind the washer with access from a closet behind.

The trap (I know about the trap - can't believe whoever did this originally didn't get gased) is about 12 feet from the vent pipe. As MassPlumber suggested, could I use an AAV?

The washer box should be facing the washer, I realize you're trying to install the washer station without tearing up more then's necessary but you're into a major remodel here, Let's do it right.
    Your original hook up left you with a direct open connection to the sewer allowing sewer gas to enter your home. Both dumb and unhealthy. Could also get your house red tagged by The Health Department,
    If you share plumbing with a neighbor where do you live and where does this line run to? If something's draining into it you can't use it as a vent, What will be done whit the old washer set up?
    How far is it from the trap to the new vent? Back to you, Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2012, 03:31 PM
    Will you be pulling a permit on this job? Tom

Sep 3, 2012, 03:52 PM
    This is one of a thousand units in this complex, and about 2/3's of the units have done the same thing. Two weeks ago I had a plumber stop by to give me a bid (on the recommendation of the electrician, who has a permit for the electrical) and I never heard back from him. No response to emails or phone calls and I just can't wait anymore. Whenever possible, I leave it to the pro's, but I also can't sit around. So no permit for the plumber (waiting for lightning to strike)..

Thanks Tom. After seeing it in writing, I now realize how dumb it is not to just pull a permit and do it right. I appreciate the input.

Will you be pulling a permit on this job? Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 4, 2012, 06:08 AM
    If others in the complex have done the same thing you should be able to get a solid estimate. Good luck and if we can help just ask, Tom

Sep 7, 2012, 06:53 AM
    Thanks again. Was able to get the pro over and we passed inspection this morning. He ended up putting in a Studor vent..

If others in the complex have done the same thing you should be able to get a solid estimate. good luck and if we can help just ask, Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2012, 07:17 AM
    Great news! Thanks for the update. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Box [ 10 Answers ]

Greetings. My basement has an overhead Sewer pipe going out to the front. Therefore, if I want a washing machine in the Basement, I have to pump the discharge up and out in some way. Right now, the discharge goes to the sump pump hole and then is pupmed out. I want to install a washing...

Washing machine box cap [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved into a new house, and the wall mounted washing machine "box", that contains the hot/cold water connection and a standpipe for the drain, currently has a plastic cap covering the drain pipe. The cap has a cylindrical protrusion, which looks like it might be used for turning the cap...

Solder to washing machine box [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to attach copper to a plastic washing machine box with brass fittings? Options: 1. Solder pipe inside fitting as recommended by manufacturer 2. Solder female fitting to pipe, apply pipe tape, screw in pipe to box. I fear my lack of soldering skill is going to melt the...

Installing washing machine utility box [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to install a utility box in the wall for my washing machine to drain into instead of the sink next to machine. Can I just run my drain pipe straight into existing drainline running along the joists in floor. The main 4" vent is 20" from proposed work? Sorry about vagueness never...

Washing Machine Water Box Fittings [ 1 Answers ]

My cold water water box fitting for the washing machine is leaking. It is sweated onto a 1/2" copper pipe. I do not know how to get all the water out of the pipe to unsweat the joint. There is hardly any room to work because of the tight area and how the fitting is attached to the water box and...

View more questions Search