Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CarlyTD Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Jul 2, 2012, 11:54 AM
    Bath Fan Installation - What Amp Circuit is required?
    Hello,

I am installing a new bath fan (without light) and I am wondering if it requires a 20amp circuit or is 15amp sufficient? I have read the specs and all they mention is a 110v line.

Does anyone know if these units (NuTone QTN110E) typically require 20amp?

I was thinking of adding a bathroom outlet as well on the same circuit...

Thanks
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2012, 12:21 PM
    Carly,
    If this is a small residential bathroom exhaust fan... you can connect to the lighting circuit you currently have. You can add a switch or connect to the existing one if you would like the fan to operate with the light... (many think this is a good idea)
    I googled this fan and the amp draw is only 0.7 amperes so a 15 ampere circuit is plenty.

Now the bathroom outlet to be compliant with current code is required to be a 20 ampere GFCI protected receptacle. This is a good idea as many blow dryers are 1500 to 1800 watts or 12.5 to 15 amperes which sometimes trip a 15 ampere circuit breaker.
    CarlyTD Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Jul 2, 2012, 12:27 PM
    Thanks very much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What gauge electrical wire is required for a 200-amp circuit? [ 1 Answers ]

The job is to install a 20,000 watt whole house generator

Can a ceiling fan and furnace be on the same 15 amp circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I connected a new ceiling fan and jumped off the furnace wire in the attic. Is this safe and OK. I did use wire nuts and made sure the connection was good

20A 12 ga bath circuit to 14 ga for light and fan? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have rewired my bath to a dedicated 20A 12ga line. Power goes to a 20A GFCI outlet. Can I run 14 ga from the GFCI to a 20A 3-way light switch and a separate 14 ga to a 20A exhaust fan switch? Both will be pigtailed off the GFCI. Thanks a million!

Recommendations - Bath Shower Light & Heater/Vent Fan [ 3 Answers ]

I’m planning a major bathroom remodel in a 40 year-old house. The current bath has a tub/shower. I plan to remove the tub and have a walk-in tiled shower installed. I plan to remove the current built-in lavatory cabinet and use a free-standing furniture-type lavatory cabinet. The current tub/shower...

14 gauge wire switchleg for ceiling fan/light on 20 amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I am wiring a 20 amp circuit room. I have 12 gauge wire line in to the ceiling fan box. Can I run 14 gauge wire to the switch (switchleg) or do I have to run 12 gauge as well? Thanks!

View more questions Search