Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    britpilk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2012, 08:51 AM
    My son is afraid of his dad
    My boyfriend and I have a 2 year old son together and recently moved in together about five months ago. Their relationship was going great up until recently... He and I have been arguing in front of him (dumb, I know) quite a bit which we have been working on and know it needs to stop. But because of this our son is now scared of my boyfriend... to the point of crying and shaking when he picks him up or touches him. When this occurs my son looks to me crying with his arms reached saying "mommy" so I go to him and hold him and try to reassure him all is okay. When this happens which is everyday my boyfriend gets upset with me and says that I am making the situation worse by comforting him and that I need to just let him be. I feel differently obviously... this my son and I can't imagine not holding him... I know that he may not be upset over a present threat but in his mind he is unsure and scared. What is the best way to handle this situation on all parts?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2012, 09:20 AM
    Professionally counseling, both for child and for you and the boyfriend.

I am sorry but this appears to be a self caused problem.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 18, 2012, 10:11 AM
    Does your boyfriend do anything fun with the child? Or does the boy know his dad only as a yelling person lately?
    WisperWill70 Posts: 277, Reputation: 84

May 18, 2012, 11:29 AM
    Agreed. Counseling should be your FIRST priority -- not only to figure out how to deal with your relationship/emotions in a safe way for you and your child (and this would include not involving the child in FIGHTS).. but also to discover if there are more serious problems in your home.

There may be more to the fear and crying and shaking than simply a result of arguments he is witnessing. You need to find out of there is something else going on! Shaking is a fear-response not normally seen in JUST instances of overhearing arguments. What else is going on?

Has this boyfriend ever been abusive? If he has shown any tendencies of physical violence there could be things going on that you don't know about. Him trying to block you from comforting your child is disturbing...

(though when and how you comfort the child can be affirming that he has something to be anxious about, that there is danger you cannot control or protect him from... more needs to happen than just cuddling - the whole dynamic you and the baby are in is unhealthy).
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 18, 2012, 03:53 PM
    How extensive are your arguments? Are they disagreements, or are you yelling and screaming at each other? Had there been any verbal (name calling, threats, etc.) or physical (grabbing onto, pushing, slapping, etc.) abuse occurring?
    wop48 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Jun 13, 2012, 05:39 PM
    I agree with wisper will it sounds like your child fears him for other reasons.
    As a father of two boys I can't even imagine them not wanting me with them and having so much fun whenever were together. Get help or get out of this relationship (safely as possible)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 16 yr old son lives out of state with dad, dad won't let him come live with me. [ 1 Answers ]

We have equal custody, dad is primary and court allowed son to go and live in Texas with his father after his father pulled him from school in Nevada without me knowing and sent him to live with his parents and go to school in Texas. When we went to court so they could force him to bring him back...

How to break the news to my 12 yr old son, that his dad isn't his biological dad. . [ 4 Answers ]

My 12 year old son, has no idea that his dad is not his biological dad. I need to find a way to sit him down and explain to him, I also need to find a way to talk to my other half about us telling our son. My other half wants to have no part in letting him know, as he says, "he doesn't need to...

Bad dad, good dad my 12 y/o son wants to live with me [ 1 Answers ]

I am a father of three children. My 2 oldest are on there on now, by a previous marriage. My youngest son will be 12 in April. He has mentioned to me many times that he wants to come and live with me. I've told him many times that living with me would be no different than living with his mother as...

My son has a dad and now the biological dad came out of da blue and wants a dna test? [ 5 Answers ]

When I was five months pregnant my sons dad abandoned me and started denying my son, I started dating someone else who didn't care that I was pregnant he still chose to love me and be with me, he even had a few words with the loser when I was eight months pregnant and needed things for the baby...

View more questions Search