Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2012, 06:07 PM
    Buying a home for the first time
    We want to buy a home. I am tired of pouring money into rent and having nothing to show for it!

We have decided what area we want, and what kind of home and what extras we want to look for. But then I have no idea.

Do I need to speak to the bank and get a home loan first and then find our home?
    Or do I speak to a realtor and find the home we want first and then get the loan?
    Or do I find the home I want first, and then contact the realtor of that home?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 1, 2012, 06:22 PM
    Its best to get a pre-approval for a mortgage first. This way you will know what you can afford. From there you can talk to realtors and/or look for self listed homes, even look for short sales or foreclosures.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2012, 07:06 PM
    Thank you scott. I will talk to my bank on Monday then :)

We are hoping to be able to move when our lease is up on this place in November. Is that enough time for everything? Or is it too much time and maybe I should wait a while before starting?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 1, 2012, 07:22 PM
    It's a crap shoot. You could find your dream houce in a coupleof weeks or it take 4 months. No way to tells so I would start now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2012, 07:52 PM
    Yes, some people spend one to two years looking for the right house, others find it in 3 weeks.

If the home you find is a short sale, it can take 3 to 6 months to even get a yes or no if they will accept your offer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First time home buying tax credit H1-B [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I work in US on H1-B visa. Live with wife and two kids. All are resident aliens for tax purposes. Our income is below 150K/annum. We purchased a home a few weeks back. We are first-time home owners. My questions 1. Are we eligible for the first-time home owner’s tax credit? 2. If yes,...

First time buying a home [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mother looking to buy my first home any ideas on where to start?

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

View more questions Search