Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hutington Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 08:53 AM
    First time home buying tax credit H1-B
    Hi,

I work in US on H1-B visa. Live with wife and two kids. All are resident aliens for tax purposes. Our income is below 150K/annum. We purchased a home a few weeks back. We are first-time home owners. My questions

1. Are we eligible for the first-time home owner’s tax credit?
    2. If yes, how this can be claimed ?

Thanks & Regards
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 09:40 AM
    1) Yes, for the amount of $8,000.

2) By filing Form 5405 with your 2009 tax return.
    hutington Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2009, 05:44 AM
    Thanks ATE! I will contact you at that time !
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:30 AM

Taxpayers will claim the credit on IRS Form 5405, First-Time Homebuyer Credit. You claim the first-time homebuyer credit on amended 2008 return or on your 2009 return. If you are claiming the credit on the amended tax return Form 1040X, then enter the credit on line 15 of Form 1040-X and enter "Form 5405" in the white space at the end of line 15, and attach the Form 5405.
    Your U.S. Tax Return: First-Time Homebuyer Credit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to use first time home buyer tax credit [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I just purchased my first home and am getting the $8K tax credit. I know many people are saying to use the majority of the credit to pay down the principal and get interest savings. However, I plan to sell in 5 or 6 years, so if I do not stay until the mortgage is paid off, I will not see an...

Buying a house for the first time with no credit [ 3 Answers ]

I have had the same job for 9 years and I make around $33,000.00 per year but I have no credit. I would like to buy a house but something that might be a foreclosure because I have no money saved and I would be a first time buyer. Is it possible that I can buy a house with my history. I live in...

Consolidating Credit and Buying a Home [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are looking to buy our first home. We just met with a lender and checked our credit. I had some problems with credit cards a 8 - 10 months back and decided to consolidate. It has been 4 months now and my credit cards are showing that I have not paid for the last 7 months. What if...

Buying a home with bad credit [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have made bad choices like, having one parent stay home with the kids, etc. We really want to buy a house and at this point any house will just about do. Our credit is really bad and we have no money to put down. We both have been out of work at one time or another for surgeries...

First time buying a home [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mother looking to buy my first home any ideas on where to start?

View more questions Search