Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpray2007 Posts: 319, Reputation: 23

Apr 25, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Why would a pull-down light switch intermittently work?
    We have a light-switch on the ceiling in our closet and sometimes when I pull on the rope that turns it on or off it does not turn on? It always seems to be able to turn off but sometimes (quite often actually) it doesn't turn on. There's nothing wrong with the bulb as when it does turn it, it's fine (indeed I've changed it.). As you can imagine it's driving my wife and me crazy.

What should I do to try to fix it? I have minimal (to none) handyman skills so please break it down.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 04:30 PM
    The rope is attached to a chain which enters the fixture and wraps around a cam. When you pull the rope the cam truns and that throws the contacts closed inside. That cam can fail, not worth trying to fix because you can buy and install a new socket for a few dollars.This one is high quality and costs $7 but you can get a plastic one for about $3. Craftmade K858 Three Piece Porcelain Pull Chain Lamp Holder
    rpray2007 Posts: 319, Reputation: 23

Apr 25, 2012, 04:33 PM
    Ballenger: Thanks for the advice. Now do I have to turn off the main switch in order to do this or is it all about making sure I don't fuse the wires? What's safer given my lack of experience?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 04:40 PM
    Do you have fuses or circuit breakers? Check your panel and maybe you will be lucky and see a circuit labeled for this room. If not get the light turned on, I know it may be difficult, go the panel and, with the help of another person, start throwing breakers off one by one until the light goes out. Once the light is off you should be able to unscrew the bulb and then, most fixtures, unscrew the two screws that hold the fixture to the ceiling box. Once the screws are out you pull down on the fixture and you should see a black and a white wire connected to the fixture, most frequently held by 2 screws. You are almost home from here

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I replaced pull switch lights with recess but the wall switch won't turn off the light [ 2 Answers ]

I added lights and outlets to my basement and all of the outlets work fine. Before I started the switch on the wall controlled one light and all of the others had pull strings. I've tried everything but the switch will not turn off the remaining three lights. What did I do wrong... how do I fix it?...

Light control on remote doesn't work anymoe, and have nochain on light to pull. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Devereaux Ceiling light/fan. One day, remote t tun of the light quit working. The fan control on the same still functions, bu we can't turn off the light. Should I order a new remote? And will it send instuctions on how to program it THanks so much for info

How to change a pull string light fixture to a wall switch controlled light. [ 2 Answers ]

How do you change a pull string light fixture to a new light fixture with a wall switch. I have two wires running to the existing string light and am not sure what to do with those wires. I plan to change the light as well.

My harbor breeze fan/light does not work the light only works by pull chain [ 3 Answers ]

The harbor breeze fan/light does not work with remote. Thae light works by pull chain but fan does not. The light on remote turns on when I press light or fan , but does not work fan or light

Adding a new light with its own pull string to existing light and switch [ 8 Answers ]

Howdy. I have a 50 year old house where the bathroom light shares a common wall with the back of the master bedroom closet. I want to add a pull string light in the closet and tap the power off the bathroom light. The bathroom light is switched and the power comes first to the light and then...

View more questions Search