Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
    I am at my wits end with this pup
    She is a Pomeranian poodle mix (pomapoo) and so sweet and social and she really is a good girl.

But potty training. OMG. She still isn't there. We have had her since December, at first we tried the old fashioned way that everyone told me was the way to go (put nose in mess and take outside)

For the last 3 months we have been doing the crate training. I have used positive rewards, it does no good, I have tried punishments for accidents, no good.

I don't know what else to do with this baby. She will poop outside. But its like she has an aversion to pee outside. She refuses. And she pees by, on, under her bed, which I've never seen before.

She gets ashamed, and even sits on her messes to hide them. But she still won't stop.

I asked her vet a few months ago, and she told me that it was fine, and to just keep at it. But when should I worry about a medical problem? I'm really worried that something else other than just stubborn pup is going on here.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 27, 2012, 06:18 PM
    So many things that you did wrong, I don't even know where to begin.

Read the dog threads.

First, you have a child. When you were potty training her what did you do? Did you put her nose in her messy diaper when she had an accident? Did you punish her? I'm sure you didn't. That would be child abuse. Well guess what, it's the same for dogs.

How did you potty train A? Praise when she did what was expected? Treats, pride, joy when she went potty on the toilet? Of course you did! You wouldn't mistreat your child because she had an accident while potty training. Right? Well, that's what you're doing to this dog. Sad but true.

Your dog is a dog. It's not a human being. It doesn't know what you want, until you show it. Punishment and cruelty (sticking it's nose in it's mess) will only teach it to fear you.

Patience, praise, and consistency, just like you did when A was being trained, is the way to go.

You have to show your pup what you expect. Praise your pup when it does what you want. Then the pup associates going potty outside with your praise, and that's what pups live for, your acceptance, and your praise. But it is a dog, and it doesn't understand human ways, or what humans want, until you teach it.

Punishment means nothing. Yelling means nothing. Your pup doesn't understand that you're mad because she went potty on the floor. Your pup just sees an angry mean person that will hurt her for no reason, because she doesn't understand why.

For potty training you take her outside, choose a potty word "Go potty. Time to do your business. Make. Potty time", whatever you want. When she goes potty you have a party! Tons of praise, a treat, she's the best dog in the world. Let her know it! When she has an accident, a firm "No!", and then take her outside, wait for her to do her thing, then party time.

No negative feedback. No sticking her nose in her mess. That's old school, and frankly, those people didn't know dogs from fish, and shouldn't have been giving training advice to begin with. Only positive reinforcement, but most of all, consistency. If you don't take your dog out regularly, and give her a chance to potty, then it's not her issue, it's yours. Don't punish her for your mistakes.

How old is she?
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2012, 08:49 PM
    Ok... so I already said we don't do that anymore. We did that at first. But then I learned better. And we have been doing positive rewards and crating for the last 3 months, and I only use 'go potty' when we go outside. We don't punish her anymore.

Why did you automatically jump on me and assume I am punishing her for my mistakes.

I already said, we stick to it. We take her outside many times during the day, and she is on a feeding schedule that we stick to. When she does poop outside, she gets so much praise, and she gets a cookie. When she pees inside, she gets a no, and I take her outside.

She is 6 months old.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 27, 2012, 09:25 PM
    we don't punish her anymore.

Why did you automatically jump on me and assume I am punishing her for my mistakes.
    Jennie, I can only go by what you yourself write.

for the last 3 months we have been doing the crate training. I have used positive rewards, it does no good, i have tried punishments for accidents, no good.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2012, 11:19 PM
    Yes I know. But what I wrote was..

we have had her since December, at first we tried the old fashioned way that everyone told me was the way to go (put nose in mess and take outside)
    And I also said that for the last 3 months *since January* we have been crate training. Which involves NO punishments.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 05:33 AM
    Jennie, have you ever read ANY of the advice given here? WHo the heck told you to rub her nose in it?

Where did yo get her and how old is she? How long are you leaving her between potty breaks?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 05:39 AM
    Ok, I saw that you posted she is 6 months old.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/h...og-500972.html

Copy and pasted from Castmine: "Two general principles will help you through this more than anything.

1. Consistency is the only way canines learn. Everybody must mean the same thing and say the same thing. "Come" does not mean "C'mere" does not mean "Here boy!"

2. Patience Patience Patience Patience Patience."

Copy and pasted from Shazamataz: "Toilet training.

When toilet training a puppy you have two options...
    Start training the puppy to go do their business outside from the start, or get them to use puppy training pads.

Puppy training pads are cloth pads with a plastic backing, they encourage your dog to relieve themself in one area only without damaging your carpet. You can use something like newspaper but unless you have it on a hard surface it will soak through.

If you have bought your puppy from a reputable breeder they will already have had some degree of toilet training. Most breeders will use pads or paper on one side of the room as well as having blankets for bedding on the other.
    The puppies naturally train themselves to go on the paper and not their bed.

If you unfortunately bought your dog from a pet store it is much harder. These dogs are generally kept on completely newspapered areas with little or no bedding, encouraging them to just urinate whereever they please. It can be remedied, it just takes a little longer, same with a lot of rescue dogs.

You can usually tell when your dog needs to go to the toilet, even puppies. Most pups will 'sniff out' the perfect spot to potty so if you catch your pup sniffing the ground and walking in circles this is the perfect time to rush them to your designated toilet spot!

If you happen to catch your puppy urinating or defacating on the floor and not in the designated area then just tell the puppy "no" in a growly voice and pick them up and move them to where they are allowed to go.

Soe pups will be naturals and catch on very quickly, others can have quite a few accidents before finally learning what is expected of them. Never lose patience with them, they are not doing it to 'spite' you, they just simply don't understand what is expected of them.

When you dog does go in the correct place, whether it be on the paper or outside on the grass the most important thing is to praise praise praise! Make them think that they have just done the best thing in the entire world. Dogs respond a lot better being praised when they have done something right than scolded when they have done something wrong.

The biggest misconception when it comes to toilet training is to rub the dogs nose in its own excrement. DO NOT do this as it has no benefit whatsoever other than to show the dog that you are just being plain mean to it, they do not understand the concept of this sort of punishment.

The best time to take your dog out to urinate is after every nap time. Whether it be a designated nap time in a crate or the pup has just fallen asleep, you need to rush them to their 'spot' as soon as they are awake.

As for defacating, the best time would be around 20-30 minutes after eating, although this does vary a lot depending on the dog."

Copy and pasted from me: "The one fool proof key to house breaking is consistency. As soon as puppy eats or drinks he goes out side. And it helps if you wait out there with him until he does his business, and when he does it's time to praise, praise, praise! Even offer a small treat at first."

I know Shazzy mentioned pee pads, but I think she offered that advice as an alternative option, I don't think she actually supports the use of pee pads. I am NOT a fan at all, they only lead ot confusion and more chances of accidents.

Again, the biggest thing is consitency. Every time she eats, drinks, plays she is brough out side to do her business. Make sure you are using a ghood enzyme cleaner to clean the messes up.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 05:51 AM
    Jennie take a step back breathe and realize that the dog experts here know their dogs. They get lots of people asking questions from the ones that know it all to the ones who did not know and made an error. They tend to worry more for the dogs well being then the persons feelings and in my book I salute them for that. Listen to what they are saying they have good advice. I was one that made mistakes with my dog when I got him. I listened and followed the advice, and now this is the only site I will go to to about Owen. Do I like it when they tell me I am wrong,, NO I am human but I also realize they know their and want the best for my boy.
    They have asked some questions which will help them give you proper advice.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 07:12 AM
    she gets ashamed, and even sits on her messes to hide them. But she still won't stop.
    Jennie, she isn't ashamed. She is scared of your reaction. She probably equates 'messes' with punishment. She is trying to hide that she had to go.

How do you crate her? Is it only when someone isn't home? How long is she in her crate in a 24 hour period?

If her vet says that she is healthy and isn't experiencing incontinence due to growth spurts, spaying, or genetic defects then it is in the training or a sign she isn't happy. Are you the only one working with her? How does your husband interact with her? Does he punish her? How does A treat her?

Is she showing that something has her upset? How does she behave and act? Is she nervous? Does she enjoy people and playing? Is she hiding in a corner or cowering when people are around?

Do you leave water down for her all the time? If so, you may need to limit her water intake (or give her ice cubes she can lick) to certain times so that you can anticipate her need to potty.

I'd start over from the beginning. Treat her like an eight week old pup and take her outside every hour, 30 minutes after her having food/drink (or sooner if she is having an accident before the 30 minute mark), keep her outside until she pees. It doesn't matter if it is five minutes or an hour. No playing or attention until after she potties (corrections for going places she shouldn't or other bad behavior but pretty much ignore her.) You will have to keep a close eye on her because it can be hard to tell when a female pees. When she goes, praise, play, treat, etc. Squatting should get her a mild 'good girl'. Actually pottying should get the key to the city.

When there is an accident, make as little fuss about it as possible. If you catch her in the act, use 'no' and get her outside. Do not continue chastising her after the 'no'. After 'no' the next thing she needs to hear is the command to potty. If she has just finished, say nothing get her outside give the command. If you find the spot later, get her outside and give her the command. In all cases, clean the spot with an odor eliminating cleaner such as the enzyme ones that should get rid of the smell and not just mask it for the human nose (remember she has a better sense of sell than you do) safe for the area where she pottied. If she has pottied on her bedding, wash it. It can help to have a couple of changes of bedding for accidents.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
    Sounds like a rollar coaster training session on how to house train your dog.

You need to back up.. back WAY up... You started your dog on the wrong track and continued to do so. Even though you tried new and different things along the way, your dog remembers the punishments and rubbing her nose in it. Dogs are not stupid, they remember these things. And your puppy is confused.

Does she poop and pee inside? Outside? On pee pads? In her crate? Her hovering over it, is her way of hiding her mistakes due to your reactions.

Smaller breeds of dogs are tough to house train, but they're not impossible. You need to start over and treat her like an 8wk old puppy. That's really the only way to restart her thinking.

Any type of over reaction to your dog when she makes a mistake is going to make her nervous and fearful. Punishing her for something she doesn't understand doesn't get you anywhere. Now.. if she has been house trained for 6 months and makes a mistake, a punishment would re-enforce her behavior.. but punishing without the dog understanding why is kind of cruel.

Unfortunately you're going to have to live with the mistakes you made. This dog may never be house trained to the extent you want. You may always have problems and the only person to blame is yourself. Starting puppies the wrong way stays with them for life.

I would almost suggest to find an obedience instructor and start obedience. A lot of the time, when dogs are being worked, problems such as house training disappear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help a the wits end with this! [ 0 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for about 2 years now and have been living together for about a year. We don't have sex anymore like once every two months. I have tried many times to talk to him about this but never goes anywhere and I never get any answers to... WHY? I have tried touching on...

At wits end [ 4 Answers ]

My husband have been married now for 4 months but have been together for a total of 3 living together for 2 and a half. I love him and his beautiful 11 year old son more than anything. My husband is now disabled and stays home, I support us all and go to school full time. My new step son is...

Wits End [ 10 Answers ]

Dear AMHD: I hope you can help me here. The other day I set off for work leaving my husband in the house watching the TV as usual. I hadn't gone more than a mile down the road when my engine conked out and the car shuddered to a halt. I walked back home to get my husband's help. When I got home...

At Wits End [ 18 Answers ]

We have an eight year old son, whom we adopted at age 15 months. He had health problems due to his inutero exposure, which I do not care to elaborate on. He never bonded with his caretakers up to those 15 months. He can be very pleasant, and 'people pleasing', however, he does not want to be told...

I'm at my wits end here :( [ 5 Answers ]

I need Help. I could cry over this matter. I feel I have no way out currently. Here's my story. When I lived in UK for 6 years I had such a challenging well paid job. I was a mortgage consultant and I gained lots experience and also a boost to my personality. Anyway to cut a long story...

View more questions Search