Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2012, 07:33 PM
    Sinus issues
    Since I was 5, Ive had a deviated septum (long story, abuse issue, badly broken nose that was never treated)

All my life, my nose has been constantly at least partially stuffed up. I never have clear breathing. I do see an ENT, for my apnea, and in the future hope to be able to get my tonsils removed and adenoids shaved if not removed. Even with my Cpap, no matter the settings on the humidifier, my nose is still stuffed.

I'm used to it.

So its come to great surprise that today all day, I have been PAINFULLY clear!

And I am wondering if my assumptions are correct.

What I think is happening, is the weather is SO dry lately, I mean HORRIBLY dry. And I have had a horrible headache and sinus pain all day.

Is it possible that my sinuses are just completely DRIED. And that they are irritated and swollen because of it, which is causing the pain?

And how long should I wait this out, before seeing my doctor?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2012, 07:41 PM
    Has he looked into the nasal cavity ? ( I would hope so)

If dry, do you irrigate your sinus every day? Are they blocked to a point that you can not move water from one side of nose to the other ?
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2012, 08:53 PM
    Yes he did that thing where he numbed the back of my throat and nose and shoved a large camera down it lol. It sucked even with the numbing. He said each time, even when I didn't feel pain or anything, it was red and swollen all the time.

I don't irrigate, this is the first time I've ever experienced dry sinuses. But I do know that water can go back and forth, cause I swim a lot.

He does want to repair the septum at the same time he removes my tonsils and takes care of my adenoids. But he won't do the surgery right now, cause of my apnea. He said its one of the worst he has seen. I guess severe obstructive sleep apnea is gauged by stopping breathing 35 times or more an hour. But I stopped 267 times in an hour at my sleep study. Scared the life out of the nurse lol. But my O2 sat stays just fine. I basically stop breathing every 4 or 5 minutes, for about 10 seconds.
    And he said the apnea is too severe for him to feel OK putting me under. Even though I told him that I have been put under anesthesia before, when I had a breast reduction.

Gah I rambled more than I wanted to. Sorry!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
    I don't know the name for all of it, but I had them basically break my nose ( they had to to reconstruct) and grind out and smooth my nasal areas. They have a irrigation, can buy it at walmart, you basically squirt water in one side of your nose and it comes out the other. It also clears out to help stop infection.

So they took a tube though your nose up into the nassal area.
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2012, 10:23 PM
    Oh OK. Ill get that on payday, that sounds awesome :P
    I have the Cpap humidifier turned up so high that I get condensation a lot, and it does no good. I've tried it with no humidity, with medium, and everything between. On high works best, but I still get the condensation lol.

And I THINK its called a rhinoplasty. But I might be mistaking 2 different surgerys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sinus [ 1 Answers ]

Every time I finish eating rice, I get pain in my sinus areas and a headache. Why is that?

Sinus pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have pressure in my nasal cavity and forehead and temples. I do not have any drainage or a runny nose or anything, just pressure. I have taken ibuprofen it doesn't seem to help. Could this be allergies or sinuses. It is so much pressure it makes me feel dizzy and off balance

Stuburn sinus/ear infection & other issues at hand? [ 2 Answers ]

I have allergy problems and take allegra d daily and use nasonex nose spray. About a month ago I had two fillings replaced. They were the old silver filling and my dentist replaced them with white fillings. Soon after that I started having pains in my ear and my teeth started aching. Typical...

Sinus [ 1 Answers ]

DEAR SIR, From past one year I have terrible headache and also body pain ,sore throat , breathing problem, bad breath coming from nose and mouth. When I start to speak to my friend they avoiding me because of my bad breath from mouth and nose. Palese help me from this . ...

View more questions Search