Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tchrtara7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 04:42 PM
    Sinus pressure
    I have pressure in my nasal cavity and forehead and temples. I do not have any drainage or a runny nose or anything, just pressure. I have taken ibuprofen it doesn't seem to help. Could this be allergies or sinuses. It is so much pressure it makes me feel dizzy and off balance
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 13, 2009, 07:02 PM

I too suffer from sinus pressure and sinus infections, I have an infection now as I sit here typing this to you. The barometer drops my pressure goes up... It is usually debilitating and completely stops whatever I am doing. I can't make quick movements of my head or lift it quickly off the pillow or it feels like someone hit my head with a sledge hammer. I take prescription antibiotics for the infections and it still takes a week or more to clear up.

Now, I have some advice, but please realize that I am not a doctor, if you are having this problem for any period or repeatedly: GO SEE A DOCTOR, please.

I have found some short term remedies over the years;

When you are at home;

1. Have a humidifier running in your bedroom at night one where you can add medication such as Vicks or some other medication.

2. Stand under your shower head with the water as hot as you can stand it for as long as you can. Let the water pound on your face, top of your head and the back of your neck.

3. Buy an over the counter 'Sinus Rinse' such as one made by 'NeilMed' although there are others, AND USE IT until your problem is gone.

4. Sleep on two pillows at night, this raises your head and allows your sinuses to drain better.

5. There is a 'pain center point' in the muscle between your thumb and fore finger, squeeze that muscle as hard as you can stand it and hold it, this will temporarily ease the pain, do it to both hands.

6. When nothing else works, boil a pot of steaming hot water add salt (about 3-4 tablespoons to a quart of water), take the pot off the flame. Get a hand towel and hold it over the pot with your face under the towel, in order to breathe in the hot salt water.

If it persists, again I highly suggest that you see a doctor as soon as possible. Sinus problems can affect your equilibrium and even in extreme cases can blur your vision.

Also lay down, relax in a dark room without any sound except possibly some light mood music, put a moist micro wave heated had towel over your face.

If you are out (not home) and this strikes you, there is something else besides the muscle pressure between the thumb and fore finger...

Sit up straight, looking forward, bend your head first to the left like you are trying to touch your ear to your shoulder and hold it there as long as you can. This loosens up the muscles on the right side of the neck that usually tighten with the headache and allows some drainage of your sinuses. Repeat on the right side and continue possibly to a count of 20 for each side and then as I said keep repeating this... it helps sometimes.

I sincerely hope this helped you some and I understand the pain... not fun at all.

If I did help, please rate my answer, thanks.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sinus pressure [ 1 Answers ]

What can relieve sinus pressure immediately

After sinus surgery [ 6 Answers ]

I had septoplasty and turbinate surgery 4 months ago. I have had 2 sinus infections since then. I thought the surgery was supposed to stop the infections. My husband had the same surgery 1 year ago by a different surgeon. I find it odd that we both NEEDED to have the same surgery. Thankfully...

Sinus [ 1 Answers ]

DEAR SIR, From past one year I have terrible headache and also body pain ,sore throat , breathing problem, bad breath coming from nose and mouth. When I start to speak to my friend they avoiding me because of my bad breath from mouth and nose. Palese help me from this . ...

Sinus infection? [ 2 Answers ]

This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I think I have a sinus infection, my ears are constantly clogged and feel like they need to pop, and my head hurts so bad in the back, top, front, and sides, it hurts worse when I bend down to fast like a thumping pain. The only problem is my...

View more questions Search