Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kyler2776 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2005, 12:06 PM
    Toilet continuosly flushes
    When not being used, the toilet continuously flushes over time. It's like the toilet drains the water low over time to make it flush. I have changed out the flapper and still have the same problem. I did notice the tank is not level, could that have something to do with it?
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2005, 09:26 AM
    Do you mean...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyler2776
    When not being used, the toilet continuously flushes over time. It's like the toilet drains the water low over time to make it flush. I have changed out the flapper and still have the same problem. I did notice the tank is not level, could that have something to do with it?
    ... the tank is draining into the bowl or that the bowl is actually discharging down the drain all the time?
    Kyler2776 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2005, 10:09 AM
    The tank is draining into the bowl.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2005, 12:21 PM
    Is the flapper really...
    the tank is draining into the bowl.
    ... making a tight connection? Anyway to hold it tight against the rim to make sure it is not yet the problem?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 10, 2005, 04:38 PM
    , Sounds like your flapper linkage needs adjusting.
    With the flapper seated the linkage wants to have 1/4" of play. Too much play and the flapper doesn't get pulled back enough giving you a short flush. Too tight and it lets water seep past the flapper. I adjust the chain by the link and if it needs fine tuning, I bend the flush lever rod a bit untill I have the desired play in the linkage. One more thing about a flapper. you will see where the old flapper hooks onto the base of the white overflow tube. On a older type with no hooks the flapper has a ring that slips down over the overflow tube to the seat. If your tank has hooks, take a sharp knife or scissors and cut the neoprene ring off on the marks provided and hook the flapper on the hooks. Leaving the ring on will interfere with the flush. The water level in your tank should be 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube when the tank's filled. Let us know how you make out. Cheers Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet empties when different toilet flushed [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a confusing problem.I just installed a new toilet in place of an existing one. The promblem is when I flush the new toto toilet, my other toilet bowl almost completely empties.. The 2 toilets are basically back to back, and use the same vent pipe through the roof.(3 inch copper).No pipes...

Hot Water only when Toilet Flushes [ 2 Answers ]

I’m in the process of having both of my upstairs (two story house) bathrooms completely remodeled i.e. gutted, new walls, floors, tub, toilet, sink, etc. Prior to remodeling, I have never had an issue in regards to an adequate amount of hot water for taking a shower. Now that one bathroom has...

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

New toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I finished my basement and the home was plumbed for a full batch. I have a 4" pipe coming up through the concrete floor for the toilet. The flooring has been laid up and around the pvc pipe. First, do I need a 4" flange for the toilet? Second, how far down do I cut the pipe coming up through...

Smell when toilet flushes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two story home about 3 years old. The problem started about a year ago with the upstairs toilets. Then included the downstairs toilet. It is a septic smell . The toilets all gurgle and burp when flushed which of course lets the smell burp in. I've snaked all the vents today and find no...

View more questions Search