Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sharkammo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Hot Water only when Toilet Flushes
    I’m in the process of having both of my upstairs (two story house) bathrooms completely remodeled i.e. gutted, new walls, floors, tub, toilet, sink, etc. Prior to remodeling, I have never had an issue in regards to an adequate amount of hot water for taking a shower. Now that one bathroom has just been completed, we do not have hot water for a shower. At first I thought it may be our hot water tank (13 yrs old). However, I drained the tank (which I’ve been doing every 6 months for almost 10 years) but still no hot water. Since the tank was so old, I thought maybe the heating elements were worn? So, I decided to have a new hot water tank installed (50 gal. elect.) However, after installation (last week), we still don’t have hot water while taking a shower. I than increased the hot water thermostat on the hot water tank from 120 to 130 degrees…without any success or increase in hot water at the shower? Now I must mention that when the toilet is flushed, the water is only then extremely hot! Once the toilet tank fills, the water is again only lukewarm? Once the toilet tank is filled, you can hear/fill an increase in water pressure (cold water now mixing with the hot water) from the sink faucet? I mentioned this to some co-workers who informed that they (the contractors), may have made some modifications which altered my “toilet vent”? Any idea what is causing this recent loss of hot water?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Steve
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2006, 02:34 PM
    Hi Steve,

Sounds like the plumbers left you with a cross-connection between the hot and cold. With your problem you have to be there to track it down. What do the plumbers or the contractor have to say abut it? REgards, Tom
    Sharkammo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 08:21 AM
    Thank you for your quick response! And, I apologize for my slow response (I have been traveling since my inquiry and have not had the chance to respond).

I contacted the contractor, who informed the plumber. Two days later, the contractor informed that the plumber discovered that a new diverter installed was faulty i.e. an internal piece was defective. The plumber was able to replace this item and the hot water is again back to normal i.e. works as it should.

Again, I thank you for your response and input.

Steve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

Toilet filling with hot water [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, our toilet has been occasionally filling with hot water instead of cold. This primarily happens when the toilet hasn’t been flushed in a few hours (such as first thing in the morning). As we continue to flush, the water goes from hot to warm to cold, and the flushes stay cold until the...

Low water level in toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently installed a new toilet upstairs, and the water level in the basin is constantly too low. When the toilet is flushed, the water disappears very quickly, and then goes back slowly to its original level. The other toilet I've installed in the room next door works fine. Both soil pipes...

Toilet continuosly flushes [ 4 Answers ]

When not being used, the toilet continuously flushes over time. It's like the toilet drains the water low over time to make it flush. I have changed out the flapper and still have the same problem. I did notice the tank is not level, could that have something to do with it?

Smell when toilet flushes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two story home about 3 years old. The problem started about a year ago with the upstairs toilets. Then included the downstairs toilet. It is a septic smell . The toilets all gurgle and burp when flushed which of course lets the smell burp in. I've snaked all the vents today and find no...

View more questions Search