Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SquidWard1473 Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2011, 07:26 AM
    How do we know life is real?
    What if life is just a simulation created by someone else to see how society will turn out. What if life is moving so fast for the other person but at normal speed for us. If a full 90 years us life for us is a five minute period for them...
    raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

Dec 1, 2011, 08:27 AM
    Descartes said "I think, therefore I am." (Cogito ergo sum). Perhaps the mere thought or awareness of one's existence is all that's required to make the life experience "real". Time in other dimensions or the relativity in time is relevant in so far as we experience it.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Dec 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
    Good point. How do we truly define life? I for one believe in the afterlife, so I would define it to be beyond our physical existence we are currently experiencing. I think therefore I am... I do believe self-awareness is a crucial part of what we call life.

I don't know why this is in the paranormal thread... but it's always an interesting discussion.

>thread moved<
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Dec 2, 2011, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SquidWard1473 View Post
    what if life is just a simulation created by someone else to see how society will turn out. What if life is moving so fast for the other person but at normal speed for us. if a full 90 years us life for us is a five minute period for them...

The most quick solution to this problem is to think about life in terms of money. Imagine that the only currency that everyone has experienced is counterfeit money. In other words there is no such thing as real money.

When we think about this it makes no sense to make any claim to knowledge about counterfeit money. How can we call a currency counterfeit if we have never experienced real money? The counterfeit money would be real money from our point of view. We can only use the term 'counterfeit money' if we have had the experience of knowing real money.

The same type of argument applies to dreaming versus reality. The dreaming argument only makes sense if we have a reality.

Tut

Dec 2, 2011, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingale View Post
    Descartes said "I think, therefore I am." (Cogito ergo sum). Perhaps the mere thought or awareness of one's existence is all that's required to make the life experience "real". Time in other dimensions or the relativity in time is relevant in so far as we experience it.

Yes, Descartes is a key player in all of this. As to whether awareness of oneself using the Cartesian method is enough to know what is 'real' is largely dependent on two arguments.

Basically, the common sense view that the world is real and we experience that reality in a direct way through our senses.

Opposed to this view is that the brain generates a copy of the physical world. On this basis we don't actually know how the world is, but it is representation that our minds present to us.

Important to realize that Descartes was not a common sense, or naïve realist. Rather, he was of the second type. He was a representational realist. So life experience is not enough to know what is real from Descartes point of view even though we might be aware of ourselves.

Tut
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2012, 06:13 PM
    I think people that ponder these questions more than a few minutes usually do so under the influence of narcotics.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2012, 08:55 PM
    Then your actions are controlled by the other persons thoughts. So it does not matter. So guess it does not matter if you read this post or not. Unless I am the one controlling you and everyone else,

Jan 24, 2012, 01:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Then your actions are controlled by the other persons thoughts. So it does not matter. so guess it does not matter if you read this post or not. Unless I am the one controlling you and everyone else,

This position is basically known as Solipsism. The world is nothing but myself, my mind and the ideas it creates. In the extreme form, yes I am controlling you and everyone else. This is because you only exist because I choose to let you exist. In the end nothing exists except that which is contained in my mind.

There are obvious problems with this philosophy. However, the point is that Descartes is not of this school. Even though Descartes does start claiming he cannot doubt his own existence he nonetheless attempts to provide a method of overcoming skepticism. In other words, there are some forms of knowledge that are immune to doubt.

Tut

Jan 24, 2012, 01:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I think people that ponder these questions more than a few minutes usually do so under the influence of narcotics.

Perhaps some people are but these types questions still remain very important.

Tut
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2012, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    Perhaps some people are but these types questions still remain very important.

Tut
    Obviously to some... I think those few tend to have too much free time on their hands if that's all they have to worry about. Personally I don't have ENOUGH free time to do what I need to do in my personal life... much less concern myself over stuff like that.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2012, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Obviously to some....I think those few tend to have too much free time on their hands if thats all they have to worry about. Personally I don't have ENOUGH free time to do what I need to do in my personal life...much less concern myself over stuff like that.
    I feel the same way about politics. To each their own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fantasizes and real life [ 1 Answers ]

I've been with my partner for 22 yrs with 2 really rocky patchs one being recent, he admits since the birth of our 4 year old on we have drifted apart and wants things to be better he doesn't comuicate very well which makes it hard, but has told me fantasizes having sex with attractive women off...

Almost 16 and no real social life [ 6 Answers ]

I am 15 and will be a sophomore in high school. I feel like such an outcast at school. Some students talk to me, but never ask me to hang out. I have a bunch of friends on Facebook from school. The only person I ever hang out with is a girl from where I used to live since I moved to a different...

Don't Cry in real life [ 14 Answers ]

I haven't cried since 9th grade, however I only cry when I am watching movies. I don't make any sound when I am crying but tears all over my face when I am watching sad movies. In real life I don't cry a bit, even I am by myself and depressed. Why I only cry during movies? I try to be a...

View more questions Search