Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Nov 30, 2011, 01:02 PM
    Triplex wire size
    General question on triplex wire size.

My house was built in the mid 60s (new construction) & 100 amps. The wire from the weatherhead through to the panel is #2 AL.

While working on the roof I took a close look at the triplex service wire and the conductors and messenger are both visibly smaller than the #2AL. Also, the ungrounded conductors are solid (I can see into the butt connectors). A quick search for triplex wire showed the #2 will handle something like 125 amps, and a #6 would handle 95 amps, though this seemed to vary depending on the "type" of wire, insulation, etc.

My question, if it's for 100 amp service, wouldn't the triplex service wire have to be #2AL also, or is there some electrical reason for the difference is size?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 30, 2011, 02:55 PM
    The reason is that that wire is owned, installed and maintained by the power company. They play by their own rules, not the NEC.

Also, conductors in free air have a much higher ampacity than those in cable or conduit.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Nov 30, 2011, 05:29 PM
    Makes perfect sense. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size aluminum to use, triplex? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I am running a subpanel in my detached garage, 240v 100 amp panel. Distance is 170 ft. Direct burial, no conduit. Wondering what size/type aluminum to go with, 2/0 or 4/0, to comply with NEC code? By code I need the 4th (ground) wire because I will also be burying cable and data wire. ...

Wire size & conduit size for 60 am subpanel 150 from source [ 9 Answers ]

Indiana question: I want to install a 60amp subpanel 150 feet from the main panel. This is all exposed runs both inside and out in a commercial envirenement. What gauge and type of copper wire and what size conduit whould I use. How often should insert a junction box in the run. John

What size wire do I need to run to get a 100amps. 225ft. using direct burial wire? [ 5 Answers ]

What size wire do I need to run to get a 100amps. 225ft. using direct burial wire coming from a 200amp. Service? Any info. Would be appreciated. Regards, Garry

Sub Panel AMP Size and Supply Wire Size [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install a sub panel in my garage I was told to run 6/3 Romex to supply the sub panel and have done so. The run is about 65 feet and I am now wondering after reading this site what is the max I can get for this size wire? I plan to supply a compressor (20 amp) and the garden...

View more questions Search