Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2011, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gromitt82 View Post
    One of us will surely be wrong! If it is me, I have been wasting some valuable time down here... If it is you... perhaps you have been running some risks...
    Hello again, gromitt:

If your religion keeps you on a good path, then you haven't wasted any time. However, my lack of religion hasn't caused me to veer from a good path. So I haven't wasted any time either. I don't see the risk in living a good life. If there is one, then I'll have been wrong... But, it won't be ME who is wrong.. It's the one who would punish me - NOT for the life I've lead - but because I didn't bow down to him.

excon
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, gromitt:

If your religion keeps you on a good path, then you haven't wasted any time. However, my lack of religion hasn't caused me to veer from a good path. So I haven't wasted any time either. I don't see the risk in living a good life. If there is one, then I'll have been wrong... But, it won't be ME who is wrong.. It's the one who would punish me - NOT for the life I've lead - but because I didn't bow down to him.

excon
    Word!
    gromitt82 Posts: 370, Reputation: 23

Aug 25, 2011, 02:25 AM
    You see, Excon, in a way I agree with you. If my religion and your lack of religion keep us on the good path, we shall have not probably wasted our time down here, on our beloved blue Planet.

The point is, however, that this possibility does not satisfy me in the least.

To be born, live a second (speaking in astral time) and, afterwards, disappear in thin air, does not explain, in my opinion, the reason of our existence.

We may, of course, consider there should not be any reason at all. That our lives here are just the final outcome of a series of chemical and physical phenomena, without any need of an additional purpose!
    But, most people find it difficult to digest this farfetched theory and prefer to adhere to another one (perhaps, maybe, just as farfetched) but more satisfying to the most romantic and famous inquiry “where are we coming from, where are we going to”.

This question is not new, of course, and man has been asking it ever since he felt he had been created by a superior force to glorify it…

But this thought sort of answers why we are here and also offers us a hope of a better everlasting life somewhere else…

As I said, this is a much more romantic approach to our existence. Granted! But I prefer it to feeling that my final destiny does not differ much from that of any rock in the river bed. Being eroded by water (time) and probably ending up as fine sand on some beach.
    Gromitt82
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2011, 05:05 AM
    We may, of course, consider there should not be any reason at all. That our lives here are just the final outcome of a series of chemical and physical phenomena, without any need of an additional purpose!!
    Hello again, Gromitt:

Ahhh, but we DO have a purpose here.. And, it's quite important, too. No, it's NOT about YOU and ME. That's the difference... The religionists want it to BE about THEM as people... But, it's about them as propagators. Our purpose here, our ONLY purpose, is to be fruitful. That's it.

excon
    gromitt82 Posts: 370, Reputation: 23

Aug 25, 2011, 08:39 AM
    Holy mackerel!

You may be right there, but I hope you will admit that we human beings are doing a lousy job if our purpose down here is to make this place a nice place to be for Mankind.
    When I look aroundall I see is how slowly but surely we are destroying life in our planet or how, in general, we seem to care very little about the suffering souls who have nothing but hunger...
    Gromitt82
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2011, 09:08 AM
    I hope you will admit that we human beings are doing a lousy job if our purpose down here is to make this place a nice place to be for Mankind.

When I look aroundall I see is how slowly but surely we are destroying life in our planet or how, in general, we seem to care very little about the suffering souls who have nothing but hunger...
    Hello again, gromitt:

I didn't say that. Nice has NOTHING to do with it.. Neither does "goodness". I know you'd like to give us more importance than a bug. That's your religion talking.. Yeah, we're SMARTER than a bug, but not BETTER. And, who's to say that we're even smarter, given that I absolutely agree with you about the way we treat our environment and our fellow man.

But, how we ACT has nothing to do with our purpose. We're no different than the bug. His purpose is no less lofty than ours. It's to propagate, and nothing else... It doesn't take brains or goodness to make babies.

Does that mean that we could DESTROY ourselves AND our planet?? It DOES.

excon
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2011, 07:08 PM
    Making laws out of Scripture again Ex. I expect you want to tell us she can't be a Christian because she has failed to comply with some Law you have made of Scripture. Well Ex it may surprise you to know that God does speak to Christians. Whether they take his advice is a whole other story, like George Bush who bombed the crap out of Iraq, because he thought he was on a mission. Just an expression of love.
    I suspect Bachmann might be made with the same mould. Situational ethics abounds but find someelse to blame.

As to being smarter than bugs, well the jury is out on that one, present company excluded of course

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did God die on the Cross? Is Mary the Mother of God? [ 10 Answers ]

Did God die on the Cross? Is Mary the Mother of God? If God died on the Cross then Mary is the Mother of God, the same logic applies to both. I say that God died on the Cross because Jesus is God and Jesus died on the Cross. I say that Mary is the Mother of God, because Jesus is God and...

Science Vs. Religion (GOD) continued: GOD created man in his own image. [ 145 Answers ]

K, so we can argue till the cows come home, about this but there is a lot of good feed back from the last one I had, I like to hear others ideas. I"m going to simplify this one though, to avoid loosing the topic. Lets go with the idea that some scientific professionals believe that...

I like a girl who I've been talking to her and she's talking to her ex a lot [ 7 Answers ]

I have been talking to the girl down my block and we have been talking a lot and I like her I visited her school today because a lot of my friends go there and they all saw her talking to him a lot throughout the day and I asked her about it and she said "we're not together right now haha" is this...

View more questions Search