Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lil Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 11:15 PM
    What constitutes debt validation?
    I'm told that if a firm refuses to validate a debt under the FDCPA, they may not legally collect the debt. Further, I'm told that a billing statement is not considered proof. Is that true? If so, can someone cite the law so I can cite it in court?

My situation is that I'm being sued by Weltman, Weinberg and Reis for a Discover credit card bill. I've asked, twice, in writing, for them to validate the debt and they have sent me nothing but a recent statement. That's nothing but a total figure--nothing says how much is owed for what purpose.

Am I right that a billing statement is not legally considered proof?

Thanks so much for the help. I've learned a lot already by reading many other posts. This is a great forum.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2007, 05:27 AM
    Validate:
    1. confirm truthfulness of something: to confirm or establish the truthfulness or soundness of something

2. law make something legal: to declare or render something legal or binding
    Validate a passport

3. register something formally: to register something formally and have its use officially sanctioned

The only way they can truly validate the alleged debt is to provide a signed contract. They know this but they will continue to play games.

Read this post:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/bankru...aus-51714.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question #1 Debt Validation: Who do I write first? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am about to begin the Debt Validation / Verification process, but I'm not sure where to start with the letter wrting process. Do I write the Credit Bureaus, Collection agencies, or the companies who initially furnished the debt? -Ena

Question #2 Debt Validation: Should I wait out and old debt? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Concerning the Debt Validation / Verification process: If a debt is due to expire (over 7 years old) in a couple of months, is it better to validate /verify it; or wait it out and then get it removed - that is, will the act of verifying the debt renew the life of the debt if it is proved...

Debt validation after 30 day period to answer has expired [ 4 Answers ]

Is it worth my time to send the collection agency a letter to validate the debt since the 30 day window to respond to the court summons has gone by. I sent a form for them to validate to the court within the period, but they are claiming I never responded. I sure wish I would have stumbled on...

Being sued by lawyer, validation of debt and answer alreay sent. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi to all, I am in NJ. I am new to this forum but have been reading different forums for about 2 years. So, I have this Providian credit card that has a balance of $2468.00 on it but the lawyer is sueing me for $3468.00. The credit card was charged off in 2002. It appears that it was sold to a...

View more questions Search