Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Akeginu Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2011, 04:01 PM
    What would be the best way to pay off my debt and save?
    I've recently graduated and finally am going to start working. However, I am in a $20k debt because of school. I really want to pay off these loans as soon as possible while I'm still living at home and don't have any other responsibilities at the moment, other than my cellphone bill, and the gym.

I'm not sure how much I should be paying. I have one 8k loan that is still in its grace period. Another 8k loan that I'm already making payments on, and my creditcard is 3k. What would be the best way to pay this off? Id be making approximately 3k a month to start.

I would also like to have some sort of savings while I pay everything off.. I'm just so confused about how to go about all of this.

Thanks in advance!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 8, 2011, 04:08 PM

Put yourself on a budget like limiting yuour spending to $1000 a month. That leaves $2k per moth to pay debt. Pay off they creit card first and then tear it up. Don't get another card until you are debt free and well on your feet.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2011, 04:11 PM

Pay off the credit card first... and don't charge anything new... thats an absurdly high interest rate.

You shouldn't HAVE to pay more than $50 a month for cellphone... mine is less than that for 450 minutes a month...

Of what's left I'd say put half towards savings... and from the other half... pay the school loan and give yourself a small allowance to live on... and give some of that to your folks to help them out, even if they don't want it. THat gives you a nice nest egg to start saving for the future... a small bit of it you could use as a down payment for your own place.

You can do a lot with that $3K if you are frugal... a good habit to learn now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owe about 30,000 in credit card debt,I am 63 yrs. I have pay plans but cannot pay any [ 1 Answers ]

Have a payment plan but i am not able to pay anymore,husband out of work.what can i do?

Save cash on hand or pay off debt [ 5 Answers ]

I have a credit card debt of 17thous. With an average interest rate of 8%. I make a very modest income, no savings. I was given a gift of $10,000. Is it more important to pay this credit off fast? Or to have the money on hand, and continue to pay my usual $50 over min. payment monthy till paid. Ps...

Do I pay sell my stock, pay off my mortgage or credit card debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Here are my dilemmas. I own a two family home worth $925,000. I have $95K and five years left on this mortgage. This home gives me about $1,200 in income AFTER expenses are paid each month. I don't live in this home. I have $135K in a 401K and approximately $135K in stock. I have...

Pay old debt [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have to pay a bill that is 10 years old?

Do I have to pay this old Debt? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I received 1 bill from a neighborhood action group. 4 years after we to withdrawl from the group.We didm't use anything they offerd.Also 25 years before my husband also belonged to this club and dropped it again. 25 years later they send him a bill. Plus interest no word has been...

View more questions Search