Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debbiet1101 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 12:00 PM
    Lost power is certain rooms only
    We lost power in one of the kids bedroom. The hallway and one outlet in another room. We checked the circuit breakers and they seem to be working fine and also reset any GFCI outlets we could find which were only in the kitchen. There is still no power to those locations in the house. Any suggestions would be greatly apprectiated. Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 11, 2011, 01:14 PM
    Peer at the breakers very carefully. Some of them appear to be reset and aren't. You may see a very small 'reset' on the side of the switch visible only very close, with a flashlight.

(That's one thing to try.)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 01:40 PM

New code requires bedrooms to be protected by ARC faults, distant cousin to GFCI. Look for a breaker with yellow or red tagging. I agree with joy, some breakers appear to be set. Touch each one and give a slight movement left and right, a tripped breaker will wiggle but a proper breaker will make a sharp click if you move to the right. You could also just flip all breakers off and back on one by one, wreck heck with your VCR and clocks but it's a good last resort.

Jan 11, 2011, 04:11 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Thanks Joypulv and Ballengerb1... I tried what you both suggested and it still didn't work. I guess I will be calling someone to come and check it out. I wonder what happened.. it was working fine allday yesterday and just stopped working lastnight.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 04:52 PM

We have more suggestions if you feel like you can open and test some receptacles, let us know if you're up for that or not

Jan 11, 2011, 05:49 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Sure I'm up for it... I'm up for any suggestions you have. Thanks
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Jan 11, 2011, 09:40 PM
    Assuming the circuit panel is perfect. Do you have a GFCI upstream on the circuit that may have been tripped, perhaps by little curious hands? Those are the outlets with the tiny buttons on them. My wife once bumped the reset button on the GFCI on our bathroom, which I installed to protect that room as well as the bedroom sockets. It took me a minute or two to figure out why the bedroom had no power. I suggest you look for all your outlets, particularly the GFCI's and make sure you press the RESET (not TEST) on them.

Jan 12, 2011, 07:03 AM
    Comment on RustyFairmount's post
    Found out the problem... Bought a tester and tested the outlets in the living room and found one that connected to the hallway and that 1 bedroom and then replaced that outlet and everything turned back on. Thanks for all your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two rooms on same breaker,lost power to one room,other room works [ 6 Answers ]

I replaced the outlets in my spare bedroom, I turned the breaker off before doing it, (the breaker controls both spare and master bedrooms), when I turned the breaker back on, the power in the master bedroom is not working.

Lost power in three rooms, changed fuse, swaped with a fuse I know works and still? [ 1 Answers ]

The fuse box is an old school with the 15 amp and 20 amp screw in fuses. Everything else in the house works and I have changed it out a ouple of times with a fuse that does work what would be my next step?

Why would the power in 2 rooms be off [ 4 Answers ]

I am at my neighbors house and babysitting for her. Its an apartment, but unfortunately power being out isn't an emergency so the matenence isn't doing anything until tomorrow. Grr. What would cause the bathroom and one bedroom be out. But the rest of the house is fine. I went to the breaker...

Power out in only a few rooms [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter-in-law plugged in a heater in her room and tripped a circuit breaker. I went to the box to reset but none of them were tripped. So I turned all of them to off and on, but still no power in her room , another bedroom, a bathroom and hallway electrical outlets between the rooms. Not...

Lost power in 2 rooms? [ 3 Answers ]

We lost power in two of our rooms, half of our bedroom and all of our daughters room. My husband has checked all the circuit breakers and they all seem to be fine. Before we have to call the electrician any advise?

View more questions Search