Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2010, 03:07 PM
    Restore Presario Laptop back to XP home from Vista Premium
    Some years ago, I gave my In-laws a new Compaq Presario V5000 (with Celeron chip and small memory). It had SP2 on it, which I updated on various trips to SP3, etc. They had a problem and went to someone Dad knew, who installed Vista Premium (pirated, I'm sure), blew away all my security software and essentially made it unusable. I got it going again, but only by taking off all the security software. How can I restore this to it's original configuration? I have an original operating system CD which came with it.
    brent999 Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2010, 08:53 AM
    You should be able to put the in the original CD, boot/reboot and the system should prompt you to install XP. Note, this process will reformat your drive, removing any programs and data that you may have. This install restores it to "factory" settings. If you have any documents, copy them off the laptop first!

If you want to "downgrade" (attempting to just replace the operating system and retain programs and data) from Vista to XP, that's another matter. Most articles I have read, don't recommend attempting this. And, it may not be possible with the disks you have because they are likely at set of "system restore" disks.

Perhaps the following link will work for you:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01092639&tmp_task=solveCategory& lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&lang=en&product=49984 7&key=null

Look for the section called "Things to do if you upgraded from Windows XP to Vista and want to return to XP".

If you cannot find this doc try:
    - go to http://www.hp.com/#Support
    - click "See support and troubleshooting information"
    - in the product selector enter "v5000 laptop"

From there you should be able to find your Compaq model and the documentation I have mentioned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which is better Vista Home Premium or Windows 7 Home Premium? [ 4 Answers ]

I have an HP Pavilion desktop that came with Vista Home Premium pre-installed. I have had to run system recovery about 5 times since I bought it in 6/07. The back up system which initially worked doesn't and I have to back up files manually. It crashed again and I'm now having to do a recovery...

Widows 7 or Windows Vista home premium [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering since I have at least 1 laptop that I plan on re doing what should I put on for a operating system? It currently has Vista hp on it so would Windows 7 be a lot better?

Vista Home Premium [ 3 Answers ]

Computer will not complete boot up process. Returns to bios check from the welcome screen. Any suggestions?

Vista Home Premium - Toshiba A200Satellite [ 1 Answers ]

Vista... has anyone successfully downgraded Vista Home Premium to XP?? Ive been told that Vista business can be downgraded, but not home? Vista is proving to be slow:( to use and a pain :mad: to navigate... Any positive stories? Shell

Enabling administrator in Vista Home Premium [ 3 Answers ]

I bought my daughter an IPOD Nano for XMas. It is requiring me to install version 7.5. When I go to install, I receive a message that the signature cannot be verified. When I contact their technical support, I am told to uninstall itunes. However, to uninstall I am told that I do not have...

View more questions Search