Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Green Elephant Posts: 106, Reputation: 8

May 25, 2010, 09:06 PM
    How to quit when you don't even want to.
    Hello,

Today was one of the most difficult days since I can remember. I went all day without a single cigarette. For about 7 years, I have smoke roughly 10 cigarettes a day. I'm 22 now, and I can't seem to ignore all the horrible things smoking brings you.

Today was my first day quitting cold turkey, and I must say that I'm proud of myself. A big concern however, is that I keep finding myself rationalizing, and hearing a voice that says "Well if you only smoke 3 cigarettes a day, it will reduce your chance of smoking related death by more than half!" My problem is that I start to believe it, and question quitting. I start to think "why quit all together when I enjoy smoking as much as I do?". Because in the end, quitting is the LAST thing I want to do.

I also have an electronic cigarette that delivers nicotine without the smoke and chemicals. My friend has used it to stop smoking, and has been smoke free for months. This would be great, but I can't seem to bring myself to use it, for I would still be addicted to nicotine, and THAT'S what I'm trying to break.

In the end, I do believe in myself, but I'm most embarrassed to admit, that another part of my struggle is that a lot of celebrities that I look up to like Jack White, and Robert Downey Jr. both smoke. I know it's foolish, and I'm embarrassed to even type it. But if I'm honest with myself, it makes it extremely hard to think that they're (Seemingly) fine smoking, why can't I too?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone has on my struggle here, or anything you might think would help me. Thank you of course!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 09:09 PM
    Hi, Green Elephant!

Do you live alone or with someone else, please?

Thanks!

May 25, 2010, 09:14 PM
    I have a roommate that is never here, so with someone technically, but pretty much alone.
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 09:19 PM
    In order to quit an addiction of any kind, most people need the support of others. You'll get support here. But, it would be good if you could find the support of others who are located where you are.

Is that possible?

May 25, 2010, 09:27 PM
    Yes, My girlfriend and family have been saying I need to quit for about 2 years. I feel like quitting would not be that difficult at all if it weren't for the rationalizing (thinking 3 cigs a day would not do that much harm). But I have been getting a lot of support just in this day alone.
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 09:32 PM
    And, you will get even more support, the more that you reach out for it.

I recently quit drinking. Drinking was turning my life almost literally upside down.

Since quitting, I've found tremendous support and clearer thinking because I'm now sober!

I know that we're writing about nicotine here. But, the similarities in what a person can do in order to quit can be much the same with any addiction.

May 25, 2010, 09:36 PM
    Agreed. In fact, almost everything I've read about quitting smoking is related often times to drinking. I'm sure it's addiction period. If I may, how did you handle the rationalizing voices that told you that one drink wouldn't hurt (If you experienced that of course)
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 09:43 PM
    I do have the little "voices" that tell me to drink. However, in my rational mind, I tell myself that it's something that I used to do. The thought of getting into a disgusting state of mind, reeking of booze and being unreliable, are a few of the things that are now a real "turn-off" for me.

Do any of your close friends smoke?

May 25, 2010, 09:50 PM
    I can only think of one friend that doesn't smoke. This has caused mini panic attacks when I realize there's literally nothing I can do with my friends where the moment won't arise when they all go out for a smoke, and I have to sit and gather every once of energy I have to resist it, and keep my mind from it. :(
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 10:05 PM
    So, is your girlfriend also a smoker?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2010, 12:05 AM
    Good thread,GREAT topic for me too.

I've recently been on the no smoking trail myself, it has been more than a few years since I began smoking, nearly every aspect of my life has smoking in it.the little voices in the back of the head telling me that, just one will suffice, and I know in the front of my head, that one is too many:(

I haven't given up on the patch yet,there is still hope for that.one day at a time, one struggling craving at a time,

It reminds me exactly the feelings and thoughts of stopping other activities like this(drinking/drugs,etc),the occupying of my thoughts of how am I going to not be inconvenienced by not having a pack of security near me, much less in my hand,at all times.

You are in the right time for quitting,Green Elephant, age and length of time used play a roll in (hopefully)the process of breaking this addiction.Listening to the peer pressure from friends and family didn't help me one bit, quite the opposite actually.I needed to quit for me,not them.

Only thing I can advise beyond what my friend Clough offered is,play the tape out, the real feelings behind how you feel when you smoke again, IF you smoke again,remember how it makes you feel,like it(you) has let you down.

You are quitting for you,not them,they,those others,society as a whole,mother Teresa,or any other reason, this is personal and should be thought of that way(I believe), personal not that you shouldn't talk about how it makes you feel,but personal in that it has to come from with in.

Keep up the good fight, we'll be here hoping you make the right choices.:)

KBC

May 26, 2010, 02:14 PM
    Thank you both very much. As for Clough's question: No, my girlfriend is not a smoker, and in fact has been very supportive of my decision to quit. Thank you for the encouragement KBC. I do believe that every day I go without smoking is getting easier on me to not feel like I have to.

One thing I've been struggling with ALL day today however, is the fact that some of my hero's in life all claim to smoke occasionally, maybe 3 cigarettes a day. I KNOW that it has to be my addiction talking, But I can't help but to rationalize every 5 minutes. "Well, 3 cigarettes a day cannot be that bad for me, and I've done days without them, so I know I'd be able to manage it"

I hate it. I simply cannot stand thinking these thoughts, and the constant torment of wondering if I'm thinking rationally, or if my sub conscience is playing tricks on me.

Either way, I wish the best of luck to both of you in giving up whatever is keeping you back from being the best you possibly can be.

Thank you!
    Uber Member

May 26, 2010, 09:49 PM
    Hey, Green Elephant!

Would you please list as many of the positive things i.e. benefits about smoking that you can?

Thanks!

May 26, 2010, 10:27 PM
    This is very interesting Clough, and I appreciate you asking that of me. Of course I can list that I THINK smoking relieves stress, but I also believe that cigarettes cause the very stress they relieve.

That's a very good question, because I honestly can't think of anything good about them. They're truly disgusting, but sadly, my addiction keeps ringing in and saying "If you just smoked LESS, you probably wouldn't die from it".

Like I said earlier, I am also embarrassed to admit that a few celebrities I look up to smoke, and that affects me mentally as well. (If they can, why can't I)??

The strangest thing to me is that I used to have an extreme cocaine addiction. My brother and I would wake up every morning, and try to come up with ways to get some, and stay up all night doing however much we could buy that particular night.

I've been clean from that garbage for more than 4 years, and haven't had a single urge. So the fact that smoking is doing this to me is really discouraging.

May 27, 2010, 04:48 PM
    Also, I've been searching about the bad affects of nicotine alone, without cigarette smoke. Still staying strong and not smoking, But it gets tempting everyday to use my electronic cigarette.

Can anyone tell me what's so bad about nicotine in itself? Because all I can really find on it is that it's like caffeine, which doesn't really scare me :confused:

So if anyone has any horror stories about what the bad affects nicotine has (JUST nicotine, without being joined with cigarette smoke) it would be much appreciated of course.

Thank you!
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 05:48 PM
    If a person puts a drop of pure nicotine on their tongue, they will die! At least that's what I was told by a very knowledgeable and respected teacher in a class that I took a number of years ago...

May 27, 2010, 06:55 PM
    Wow, that's insane to imagine. I guess I should start thinking about that whenever I want to take a hit from the electronic cigarette.

I really want to know that NO addiction is good. And if I were to continue using the E cigarette, I would enable my addiction to nicotine, and who knows how long it would take for me feel bad enough to quit using that thing.

Thanks for the responses Clough, it's helped a bunch over these couple days.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 09:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Elephant View Post
    Thank you both very much. As for Clough's question: No, my girlfriend is not a smoker, and in fact has been very supportive of my decision to quit. Thank you for the encouragement KBC. I do believe that every day I go without smoking is getting easier on me to not feel like I have to.

One thing I've been struggling with ALL day today however, is the fact that some of my hero's in life all claim to smoke occasionally, maybe 3 cigarettes a day. I KNOW that it has to be my addiction talking, But I can't help but to rationalize every 5 minutes. "Well, 3 cigarettes a day cannot be that bad for me, and I've done days without them, so I know I'd be able to manage it"

I hate it. I simply cannot stand thinking these thoughts, and the constant torment of wondering if I'm thinking rationally, or if my sub conscience is playing tricks on me.

Either way, I wish the best of luck to both of you in giving up whatever is keeping you back from being the best you possibly can be.

Thank you!
    The same thing happens with alcoholics, Green Elephant!

All it takes is to take that first drink to start going downhill with drinking again!

Some people might call the rationalizations "Stinking thinking!"

Here's another thought for you, especially concerning your girlfriend.

Have you ever kissed an asktray?
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 09:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Elephant View Post
    This is very interesting Clough, and I appreciate you asking that of me. Of course I can list that I THINK smoking relieves stress, but I also believe that cigarettes cause the very stress they relieve.

That's a very good question, because I honestly can't think of anything good about them. They're truly disgusting, but sadly, my addiction keeps ringing in and saying "If you just smoked LESS, you probably wouldn't die from it".

Like I said earlier, I am also embarrassed to admit that a few celebrities I look up to smoke, and that affects me mentally as well. (If they can, why can't I)???

The strangest thing to me is that I used to have an extreme cocaine addiction. My brother and I would wake up every morning, and try to come up with ways to get some, and stay up all night doing however much we could buy that particular night.

I've been clean from that garbage for more than 4 years, and haven't had a single urge. So the fact that smoking is doing this to me is really discouraging.
    Hey! When I was a lot younger and in college, I used to spend almost every moment thinking about when, where and how I was going to smoke pot again, or maybe to experiment with something even stronger!

Although I excelled at a number of things, I'm sure and know that I could have been making a much better and more productive use of my time in many other ways!
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 09:52 PM
    Did you take Driver's Education in high school, Green Elephant?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

To quit, or not to quit? [ 12 Answers ]

I enjoy smoking, and I only smoke about 3 cigarettes a day. My girlfriend and I have a very healthy relationship, but she tells me that she won't marry me if I don't quit smoking. I'm wondering if me quitting smoking is a healthy decision, because I've never made changes for others. I feel like...

Should I take emergency leave of absence and then quit or just quit immediately? [ 4 Answers ]

I have to leave job for which I did not have time to notify my employer 2 weeks before I quit. My planes changed so fast. I have to quit immediately, but I I still have my shift schedule for tomorrow. I work at Starbucks as barista. Should I make call and tell them that my car broke and cannot come...

How do I quit [ 13 Answers ]

OK so I work at this privatley owned business!! It is an answering service for funeral homes all over the country!! I was a cheerleader threw high school and it is my asst coaches parents business!! So I have always been close with them because I cheered with my ast coach freshman and eighth grade...

I Quit! [ 7 Answers ]

My Official Resignation I am hereby officially tendering my resignation as an adult. I have decided I would like teddy to accept the responsibilities of an 8 year old again. Bugs Bunny is smart... and he is my friend too.

I quit! [ 2 Answers ]

OK I finally dropped-out of high school.I talked to my mom about it and of course she was all like crying but now she understands my point of view.she wants me to get my ged and I want to.but why do you have to be out of school for 3 months to do this?does anyone know where I can get good ged...

View more questions Search