Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jamesbrck5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 12:29 PM
    Can I run a on/off switch off a gfi then to a shower light
    I have a wall plug in my bathroom now it seems to be the only thing on this line when I turn off the breaker, can I change the standard plug to a gfi and then jump off the gfi to a on/off switch then to a shower light?
    squibnic Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 12:50 PM

Yes, the GFcI will come with directions on how to wire the additional device, down line from the GFI , GFI will come with taped terminals that are used for down line protection,
    I'm pretty sure this will do fine.

I am no electrician, but I have had some experience
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 01:09 PM

Agree, you can make everything after a GFCI protected but read the yellow label that wraps around the unit to be sure you do it right, otherwise it may work but not be protected

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 Bathroom GFI Outlets and Vanity Light on same run [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I wanted to know if it's OK to run from my sub-panel from a 15 amp breaker a 12/3 over to a GFCI outlet , and then pigtail out 2 more runs from that GFCI outlet a 12/3 to another GFCI outlet and a 12/2 to the Vanity lights above. Thank you

Can I run two light circuits with one switch? [ 3 Answers ]

I will be installing (10) 6 tube high bay fluor light fixtures in a new shop. Each fixture draws 214 watts for a total of 2140 watts. 2140W / 120V = 17.83A . I know I need 2 circuits, (one 20 amp circuit can safely carry 16 amps). But I would like only one switch to control all the lights. Is it...

Circuit with GFI, light switch, and microwave [ 10 Answers ]

I am replacing a kitchen receptacle in a 40+ year old home with a GFI receptacle. I learned that this box also contains a light switch and also continues onto a microwave. What is the correct wiring scheme.

Adding GFI outlet to garage light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a switch that controls the outside garage light and would like to put an outlet next to it. The switch has a black wire and a wite one marked black. So do I just add the switch in to the hot (black) wre then make a "jumper" wire from the white side to the black hot side of the switch, and...

Recessed light in shower, GFI? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there. I I want to put a recessed light above my shower, does it need to be gfi protected? If so, what is the easiest way to do this, since it can't be on the bathrooms regular light circuit. I was thinking switchleg out of the bathroom gfi receptacle? Also, my panel is on the opposite...

View more questions Search