Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    butts1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 08:44 PM
    g.e. furnace blower motor
    My furnace blower motor runs for about 2mins or so than shuts off for about a min then back on again for a couple minutes. Some times motor turns on and off on and off a couple times very quickly is it the motor or could it be something else?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2010, 08:57 PM
    Loose connections, faulty controls are the most likely reason this happens. Does your thermostat have a fan switch to turn on the fan independently of climate control?

Mar 3, 2010, 09:07 PM

Yes and when you turn fan on manually it does the same thing

Mar 3, 2010, 09:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    Loose connections, faulty controls are the most likely reason this happens. Does your thermostat have a fan switch to turn on the fan independantly of climate control?
    Yes and when you turn fan on manually it does the same thing
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2010, 09:27 PM
    I suspect a faulty fan relay. How old is the furnace?

Mar 3, 2010, 09:41 PM
    I suspect a faulty fan relay. How old is the furnace?
    Aprox 30yrs
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2010, 09:44 PM
    30 YEARS?! You have effectively gotten more than twice the lifetime from that furnace. Consider a replacement. With a unit that old parts will fail, and service calls will mount. A newer furnace will be much much more efficient and well worth the cost.
    johnair77 Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 09:51 PM

Bad run capacitor

Mar 3, 2010, 09:52 PM
    30 YEARS??!! You have effectively gotten more than twice the lifetime from that furnace. Consider a replacement. With a unit that old parts will fail, and service calls will mount. A newer furnace will be much much more efficient and well worth the cost.
    I would like to try to get this 1 to last the rest of the cold weather another month or 2 would be nice.other than this it has been a good furnace just regular maintenance is all I've had to do.thank you for your help and I will consider a replacement
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2010, 09:55 PM
    Good idea. The part itself may not be too costly but the troubleshooting could be, unless you could do it yourself. You didn't mention if this is a gas or electric furnace. Blower problems in a gas furnace can lead to failure of the heat exchanger, which in many furnaces can happen at early as 12-15 years. You will need to have that checked as well.

Mar 3, 2010, 10:02 PM
    Good idea. The part itself may not be too costly but the troubleshooting could be, unless you could do it yourself. You didn't mention if this is a gas or electric furnace. Blower problems in a gas furnace can lead to failure of the heat exchanger, which in many furnaces can happen at early as 12-15 years. You will need to have that checked as well.
    Its gas and it was checked a couple yrs ago everything was good.
    I got laid off form work so I'm trying to as much of the work as I can everything on the furnace seems to run good except this motor problem
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2010, 06:07 PM
    I appreciate your situation. I know that you want to fix this yourself, but are you knowledgeable enough to do this? Are you able to trouble shoot the motor operation by bypassing it from the furnace circuitry and supplying power directly to the motor? This would tell you immediately if it's a motor problem... and I'm not trying to insult your ability, just saying that some repairs are better left to the professionals. When dealing with any major appliance, especially gas fired, there is always an inherent danger to consider.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace Blower Motor Runs Constantly & Furnace or AC Won't Run [ 2 Answers ]

I have an Armstrong forced air (induced draft) natural gas furnace with central AC (made around 1990 -- Model: EG6H80DC14-1, Serial: A18315MNA). I had a problem at the end of the heating season where the blower motor would run continuously (even when the thermostat is turned to "off"). I thought...

Furnace blower motor [ 2 Answers ]

I need a blower motor for a 20 year old Bryant +90. Motor Model: HC43SB1100. Having trouble finding this. Is this the numbers I need or do I need the furnace numbers? Thanks, Al

Goodman furnace will ?heat motor? And blower motor will run but not at same time [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Goodman, gas, no heat pump. There is a flashing LED that blinks once ever 4 seconds. Also, blower motor does not stay on always. We did smell something like an electrical burn. I'm guess my blower motor is fried?

Furnace blower motor [ 2 Answers ]

I do not have a technical question. However, my furnace blower motor went out and so I called an A/C repair company to come out and take a look at it. And that is how I knew it was the motor but he quoted me $625 to fix and install this motor. So my question is this. Is this a fair price for...

Furnace Blower motor [ 10 Answers ]

Should the furnace blower motor fan be set to auto or on? Which is best for the home? For the motor?

View more questions Search