Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michael99 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 10:45 AM
    My angle bow window forms condensation on the inside. How can I correct this problem?
    The window is approx 36" high and 60" wide. It is double pane glass. The condensation forms on the outside and inside of the window and it runs down on the inside sill, which is causing the paint to bubble.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 2, 2010, 08:37 PM
    I can understand condensation on the inside surface of the glass but not the outside. Do you mean outside as in outdoors? It just can't be on the outdoor side unless it's raining.

Anyway... you need more air movement and less humidity. What is the humidity level of your house, where is the house, what has the high and low temps been lately?

Jaz
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 08:53 PM

Do you mean it condenses on the inside of the pane and also between the two panels, if so you seal has failed. May be under warranty.

Feb 8, 2010, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
    I can understand condensation on the inside surface of the glass but not the outside. Do you mean outside as in outdoors? It just can't be on the outdoor side unless it's raining.

Anyway......you need more air movement and less humidity. What is the humidity level of your house, where is the house, what has the high and low temps been lately?

Jaz
    The house is in New Jersey and the temperatures have been low. At night it has been in teens and we have had about 40 inches of snow since December. We turned the humidifier down to medium low today. It is a new heating system and new humidifier. Do you think an oscillating fan on the window sill might help?

Feb 8, 2010, 04:56 PM

Please be specific, is the condensation on the outside surface, between the panes or on the inside surface where you can touch it?

Feb 8, 2010, 06:09 PM
    Michael,

You need to tell us where the wet is. Turning down the humidifier to medium may be a good move (?), but we still don't know what the % of humidity is, medium means nothing. New heating systems can take some getting used to, I suggest you buy a portable digital thermometer/humidistat to measure levels in your home. If the dampness is on the inside as we suspect, a fan will take care of it, but will not cure what caused it.

Jaz

Feb 9, 2010, 09:37 AM

The condensation is only on the inside.

Feb 9, 2010, 12:35 PM
    OK. On the inside, thought so. Monitor the humidity levels relative to the outside temps and make adjustments. You want as much humidity without causing excessive moisture on your windows. If the air is too dry, you will feel colder, your nose/mouth will be dry, skin will crack, furniture will stick etc. You may need to make daily adjustments to the humidistat as temps change. Generally you'd like 35% when it's real cold, (lows below 20-25) and about 45% when it's 30-40 or so.

Jaz

Feb 9, 2010, 06:04 PM

The dial on your humidifier is not a very exact tool, you still have too much relative humidity. This means relative to the outside temps, when it gets colder you must lower the inside humidity. Buy a cheap sling hygrometer to get an accurate reading but you are still way too high

Feb 10, 2010, 11:26 AM

Thank You everyone. I lowered the humidity level on my humidifier and it has made a big difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condensation inside roof [ 0 Answers ]

I have condensation on the bituman type insilation inside my roof area only on one side. At the end which is brick there is condensation, can I cover with some sort of insulation or what should I do. This part of the house was originally built in th 1800

Condensation problems in bathroom with large glass block window [ 0 Answers ]

I have large master bathroom and large glass block window. There is a lot of condensation forming in bathroom even when not used. Builder suggests that problem is in glass block window and need to replace with acrylic ones due to insulation properties? I do have newly installed ceiling vent with...

Iced pipe & lots of condensation outside of inside system [ 2 Answers ]

The system is a Rheem, not that old... I noticed today that the house was not cooling, and that the larger of the two copper pipes was frozen over on the part inside the garage. I cleaned the filter but it wasn't really dirty, and let the pipe defrost by turning off the system. There is so much...

Chimney at a slight angle inside house? [ 1 Answers ]

We have an island in our family room 12' wide. The right 1/3 is a vertical cavity for a putting in an entertainment assembly, we once fit a 40" projection TV fully into the cavity and it filled it. The cavity/shelf is elevated 3' with a base to it and empty storage underneath of about 1.5'. The...

Condensation inside a/c ductwork [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, our house has a/c ducts in the attic and separate ducts for the furnace that come from the basement. We live in Denver, and whenever it snows, water drips from the a/c ducts. A roofer and another repair man have looked and can find no roof leak. They both say that condensation is occurring...

View more questions Search