Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nortonalberta Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2010, 02:33 PM
    Spray painting
    Hi
    I am in the process of building my kitchen cupboard doors & drawer fronts.What I would like to do is paint them gloss black ( I know it's a brave move ) with a little metallic to it.I have not had a lot of painting experience but I am confident enough to take on the challenge.I was wondering if anyone had some helpful tips ( best sprayer,paint,primer, tips on spraying etc )The doors are made from MDF ( see pic ) and I was hoping to paint them with a good auto paint

Thanks in advance
    Rob

Jan 30, 2010, 02:36 PM
    Sorry forgot to attach the pic

Rob
    Attached Images

pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jan 30, 2010, 06:26 PM

As long as you prime them before painting I don't see a problem. I would use an oil-based primer and then find a spray paint you like and spray paint several light coats outside or in a garage.

Jan 30, 2010, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyg2 View Post
    As long as you prime them before painting I don't see a problem. I would use an oil-based primer and then find a spray paint you like and spray paint several light coats outside or in a garage.
    Thanks patty

I want to purchase a decent spray gun.Any suggestions
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jan 30, 2010, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonalberta View Post
    Thanks patty

I want to purchase a decent spray gun.Any suggestions
    Sorry but I've never used a spray gun... just spray paint! Need to get one I guess. I really think it depends on the compressor being used though.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2010, 07:45 AM

There are so many on the market(spray guns)

I bought one for spraying lacquer from Wal Mart,it has been fine for more than 4 years now, it was in the $40-50 range.

Top(gravity) feed,and if you keep it clean and well maintained almost any gun can last.

I would look to how many times you think you will use a gun and buy one with that in mind.
    vaccarodm Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2010, 07:34 PM

Hey, finally a question that is right up my ally, (bodyman/painter by trade since forever).. sand with a 180 grit, use a tack rag and a blower and get all dust off, I have had great luck with a product called Nason,(look under automotive paint dealers or body shop suppliers in the book) look for a place that sells Dupont as they are the maker of the Nason line, it is a good quality urethane product, the best primer to spray is called MAXX-FILL 2 5453 and you will need the catlyst for it, let it harden overnight, sand lightly with a 400 grit paper, (can use a touch of water to keep paper from clogging), as far as a black metallic paint, ask your dealer about a honda black code NH592P, get a pint of nason BASE coat and reducer for it, (use very little reducer as paint is thin) just put on enough to cover and don't "soak" the coats on, you want it wet but not runny and not dry to where it feels rough, usually 3 coats is enough(let flash in between coats), ask rep for the nason clear with catalyst also, a couple coats for this would be fine, try to leave vertical when spraying to avoid as much dirt in paint as possible, just be careful for runs. I use devilbiss HVLP guns but you can get much cheaper gravity guns at harbor freight stores and such. Also get a little water filter that screws onto your rugulator on bottom of gun, the can save the day! Clean gun with thinner and when done put a little bit in cup, unscrew tip and put it in the cup with the thinner.. hope this helps
    vaccarodm Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2010, 07:37 PM
    Sorry, maxx fill is not a Nason brand,(was something I had on hand) but the rep will hook you up with a nason urethane primer

Feb 3, 2010, 08:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vaccarodm View Post
    Hey, finally a question that is right up my ally, (bodyman/painter by trade since forever)..sand with a 180 grit, use a tack rag and a blower and get all dust off, I have had great luck with a product called Nason,(look under automotive paint dealers or body shop suppliers in the book) look for a place that sells Dupont as they are the maker of the Nason line, it is a good quality urethane product, the best primer to spray is called MAXX-FILL 2 5453 and you will need the catlyst for it, let it harden overnight, sand lightly with a 400 grit paper, (can use a touch of water to keep paper from clogging), as far as a black metallic paint, ask your dealer about a honda black code NH592P, get a pint of nason BASE coat and reducer for it, (use very little reducer as paint is thin) just put on enough to cover and dont "soak" the coats on, you want it wet but not runny and not dry to where it feels rough, usually 3 coats is enough(let flash in between coats), ask rep for the nason clear with catalyst also, a couple coats for this would be fine, try to leave vertical when spraying to avoid as much dirt in paint as possible, just be carefull for runs. I use devilbiss HVLP guns but you can get much cheaper gravity guns at harbor freight stores and such. also get a little water filter that screws onto your rugulator on bottom of gun, the can save the day! clean gun with thinner and when done put a little bit in cup, unscrew tip and put it in the cup with the thinner..hope this helps
    Nice write up vaccarodm:
    Was hopeing to get some advice like that.
    Big thanks for that

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spray painting kitchen cabinets? [ 6 Answers ]

Does automotive paint work well for kitchen cabinets? I have a regular spray gun, not hplv. If not what kind of paint should I use. I am painting over new MDF. Thanks.

How do I know what to charge for interior painting and drywall finishing and painting [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know what to charge per square foot to prime and to finish coat new drywall? I am bidding to paint interior walls and ceilings in a new house. One coat primer and one coat finish. Both coats will be sprayed and backrolled. What is an average rate to charge per foot for each coat?

Painting with a pneumatic spray gun [ 5 Answers ]

I need information on using an air spray gun to paint the interior of an empty house. I have the canister on gun type. Any help, tips, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Spray painting dental moulding [ 3 Answers ]

Do you have any "how to" literature on spray painting dental moulding? I am needing instruction on what type of sprayer; use of compressor, psi etc; and how to protect ceiling from overspray.

Spray, brush, or roller? Painting molding [ 12 Answers ]

Base molding... Spray, brush, or roller? What's best? (MDF, 3.5 in)

View more questions Search