Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamesbebg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Kids deciding where they want to live in Tennessee divorce cases
    Would like to know WHEN a child can decide for his/herself on where they want to live.. With the grades failing, as the lack of concern at the "primary residential custodians" house. Giving Nyquil to sleep, not for a cold, just to get them to go to sleep. My son has a "heart condition" and NOT to be taking any kind of expectorant and she continues to give it to him knowing what could possibly happen. Please help!
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Jan 3, 2010, 08:03 PM

Kids don't get to decide for themselves. A judge will decide what is best for them based on many factors. If they are older, say 12-16 or so, I'm sure that he will ask their opinions and what their reasons are, but ultimately it is his decision. Have your ducks in a row with facts (ie Dr's notes) and proof of what you are going to present at the custody hearing. It sounds like you need to schedule another hearing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2010, 08:10 PM

They can decide where they want to live at at 18 years of age.

In Tennessee normally the judge allows them to talk in court as to what they would like, but that does not hold all the weight.

To move custody, the non custody parent will have to file a motion in court to modify the court order to give them custody.
    You would need to PROVE what you are claiming with evidence the court will accept
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2010, 08:17 PM

Please pay more attention to posting guidelines. There is a Read First sticky in the Children forum (where this was moved from) that directs questions of a legal nature to this forum.

Had you done so you would have found many threads addressing this issue with the answer.

If you want to change custody file in family court for a modification.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A child deciding where to live [ 4 Answers ]

I am 17 and live in Washington state, and because of unpleasant circumstances, my father and I have decided that it is in the best interest of myself that we go through the steps of moving. We have many reasons to move, and I would like to know specifics about this..

How do I evict tenants? I live in Florida, ex lives in Tennessee. Tenants are friends [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the story. My wife and I used to live in our house in Michigan. She moved to Tennessee first with the kids. I moved to Florida by myself. Upon leaving the home, she suggested I rent the property to friends of hers. I was getting the rent at first and then now they send it to her only. ...

Divorce cost in Tennessee [ 2 Answers ]

What is the cost of divorce in the state of Tennessee.

How to make my exboy friend leave my home. I live in Tennessee [ 2 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend and I lived together for 4 years. He has never paid rent but has paid half of the bills. I know longer want him in my house. I have asked him to leave but he just laughs. The house and land belong to me. I want him out now. He also raises fighting roosters and I want them off my...

Cost of Divorce in Tennessee [ 1 Answers ]

In consideration of my title here, does anyone have a clue what it costs for a mutual D in my state? My wife and I make about the same $... I don't know if that makes any difference. If the D is mutual, do the spouses get to set the terms of belongings and have the say whether allomony is not...

View more questions Search