Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talva2320 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 08:45 PM
    Withholding Final pay
    Hello I've been laid off with my last day being tomorrow. I have taken all of my vacation/personal time that I had in the bank. While on vacation my manager called me and said that my files were audited and there were 5 folders missing and if I don't produce those folders management will not sign my final release form and pay me. Is that legal I check in the dol website for ny but could not find anything.
    TheClimateGuy Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2009, 08:49 PM

Your employer does not have the right to withhold your final pay beyond the limitations set by Labor Relations. I believe your employer must pay you within 10 days of your layoff. They cannot hold your final pay as some kind of punishment for losing some files. Cheers!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 08:50 PM
    I agree with the above poster. They have to pay you for time worked, end of story.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 30, 2009, 07:35 AM

I agree and if you are not paid file a claim for unpaid wages with NY department of labor.

New York State Department of Labor - Wages and Hours

Shirley
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 30, 2009, 07:46 AM

While I don't disagree with the previous responses, there could be an issue if they believe you have valuable property of their's.

Jun 30, 2009, 07:59 AM

Does not matter if they believe you have valuable property you still must be paid your wages and they cannot withhold them from you. You can be asked to return the property by the DOL if you do have it. If you do not have it than you cannot return what you do not have.

Shirley
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jul 3, 2009, 03:44 PM

Sorry, Shirley... I have to disagree with you and agree with Scott. The employer has the ability to DEDUCT from (but not hold) the final paycheck.

For example, my employer provides me with a laptop and a cell phone as part of my job. If I were to quit and not turn these items in, my employer could deduct the value of the items from my final paycheck.

The bottom line is that it all depends on what was contained in those files. Was it intellectual property? Or was it the minutes of the company book club?

If it's the former, then the company does have the right to deduct (even down to $0.00) the value from the check... and even pursue further damages in court.
    SafeHeart Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 09:31 PM

Contact your state's Attorney General's Office. They will help you get your pay.

Jul 24, 2009, 06:23 AM

STG and Scott

No the company cannot deduct for these items from the final check. The company will have to take you to court to get the money for them.

Here is the answer from the New York Department of Labor website:

Q: What deductions can be made from an employee's wages?

A: Section 193 of the Labor Law states:

1. No employer shall make any deduction from the wages of an employee, except deductions which:

a. are made in accordance with the provisions of any law or any rule or regulation issued by any governmental agency; or b. are expressly authorized in writing by the employee and are for the benefit of the employee (such as payments for insurance premiums, pension or health and welfare benefits, contributions to charitable organizations, payments for United States bonds, payments for dues or assessments to a labor organization).

Employers may not deduct from wages the cost of breakage or spoilage of materials; nor may employers make wage deductions in any indirect manner, such as requiring a worker to pay for shortages by means of a separate transaction.

Here is the website from which I took the Q/A

New York State Department of Labor - Wages and Hours

You must be paid your final check.

Shirley

Jul 24, 2009, 06:28 AM

Here is the statute from the laws of New York

§ 193. Deductions from wages. 1. No employer shall make any deduction
    From the wages of an employee, except deductions which:
    a. are made in accordance with the provisions of any law or any rule
    Or regulation issued by any governmental agency; or
    b. are expressly authorized in writing by the employee and are for the
    Benefit of the employee; provided that such authorization is kept on
    File on the employer's premises. Such authorized deductions shall be
    Limited to payments for insurance premiums, pension or health and
    Welfare benefits, contributions to charitable organizations, payments
    For United States bonds, payments for dues or assessments to a labor
    Organization, and similar payments for the benefit of the employee.
    2. No employer shall make any charge against wages, or require an
    Employee to make any payment by separate transaction unless such charge
    Or payment is permitted as a deduction from wages under the provisions
    Of subdivision one of this section.
    3. Nothing in this section shall justify noncompliance with article
    Three-A of the personal property law relating to assignment of earnings,
    Nor with any other law applicable to deductions from wages.

Here is the website:

Laws of New York

It is on this main website with a search for Labor laws:
    Laws of New York

All the New York laws are here and you need to scroll down to labor and then find payment of wages under the labor category.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FINAL FANTASY book? Similar to final fantasy? [ 5 Answers ]

Im a big fan of FINAL FANTASY games and there are no final fantasy books/novels. Does anybody know any other books that are similar to final fantasy stories??

Withholding Tax -reg [ 1 Answers ]

I am from India and for my firm, I had taken a services for concept developing and research for a project from a company in US. I need to pay for the services without deducting withholding tax. Would like to know under which provisions I can do the same. Kindly revert Thanks & regards Kannan

What is withholding tax? [ 1 Answers ]

What is withholding tax? What are the duties of a store-keeper? And what are the document handle by a store keeper

US Withholding Tax [ 2 Answers ]

I am a foreign national, living outside the United States. I do not own a home in the United States. I have a home in the UK where I spend some time but my permanent residence is in India and I have a home there. Am I liable to pay US Withholding Tax. What are the rules? Is there a US-India...

ITIN for withholding [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to have a ITIN (individual tax identification number) before file federal and state payroll form?

View more questions Search