Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr_X Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 02:22 AM
    How do deal with bi polar girlfriend
    I've been with my girl for 1 1/2 yrs every now and then she has her manic episodes which are quite violent screaming hitting me etc. I'm a big guy so I don't mind this but it seems the longer we are together the worse the episodes get she say that she loves me very much and that I'm the only guy to ever be with her this long I love her but when she's manic its almost like she's a different person like she doesn't care about anything this makes me worry are women that are bi polar more likely to "cheat" when they are manic?
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2006, 04:10 AM
    I wish I could help more but I found this website that may help your understanding abit more.

http://www.bipolarworld.net/
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Oct 13, 2006, 11:30 AM
    I doubt she would be more likely to cheat, unless she had some cause to "get back" at you. As time goes by, you will become less and less tolerant of her episodes and you may become more likely to cheat when she "get's crazy".

If she isn't already, she should be under a doctor's care. She needs to help herslf so that these epsiodes are manageble for her.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 13, 2006, 12:46 PM
    I understand you are a big guy and all, but this is still abuse.

The more you let her do it, the worse it will get.

She needs to seek the help of a professional and get on some meds. Until this happens the episodes will escalate.

Remember that men get abused also. You are living proof. Many just choose not to talk about it for various reasons. But it is abuse nonetheless.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Oct 14, 2006, 11:51 AM
    If your GF has been diagnosed as having Bipolar disorder - it does not sound like she is taking her medication.

I was diagnosed bipolar disorder later in my life. I never dreamed that could be but the manic episodes were out of my control - and that was the scariest part - and not remembering the actions either(forgetting 95% of them)

Cheating? Well, I think a truckload of problems may be in the forecast if your GF doesn't get stabilized on medication. And maybe psychotherapy also.

If she doesn't care about her being stabilized, then I can say that you will have a lot to lose. If she doesn't see it as a very serious illness- who will? I have a brother-in-law who tried for the last 10 yrs.(with his wife of 20 yrs) She didn't care- They basically lost much $$ on hospitalizations, had legal bills from consequences of the outgoings & outbursts, had the police at their house numerous times, finally got divorced (although he told me it wasn't a happy marriage for the last 10 yrs... What else? The one son lives with the father now. She "lost" them because she didn't care.

I may joke to myself that I feel like a Lithium battery- but heck, it does work!
    Be careful. You never know what might happen if she's not on meds.
    natinurdreams Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2006, 07:25 PM
    I read your question and wow does this ring a bell for me... I am female and bi-polar I was in a relationship for 12 years and I was having manic episodes and did not realize it... I was on meds but not on the right one.. And I have to say this to you but YES I cheated and I did not realize what I was doing and the consequenses of my actions.. I lost everything my love, my soulmate, and its been 6 years since we split up but there is not a day that goes by that I regret and wished I was on the right meds at the time and that I would still be with him... I love him so much and still do but he doesn't and its so hard to get over and its pain that I have to live with the rest of my life... Please get her to see a doctor ASAP and find the right meds before something bad happens that she will regret... Like I did to my spouse... Hope all goes well

Nat
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -

Oct 22, 2006, 08:20 PM
    As a nutritional psychologist I look upon Bipolar Disorder (BD) in a slightly different way. BD is primarily a biological disorder where the mood swings tend to be outside the conscious control of the person. So we need a biological approach to the illness, and this is why psychiatrists prescribe drugs such as Lithium Carbonate.

However drugs have usually side effects, which often cause the person to stop taking them. These side effects seem to be caused by interference in the absorption of nutrients essential for one’s well-being. For instance there are reports that Lithium Carbonate interferes with the absorption of vitamin B12 and folic acid. It just happens to be the case that these nutrients are essential in the production of the feel good neurotransmitters such as serotonin.

Thus a patient can reduce these side effects by asking their doctor for vitamin B12 injections and by supplementing with folate.

Also the wild mood swings can be reduced by the person going on a Hypoglycemic Diet.

It would be worthwhile to investigate the influence of Lecithin and Bipolar Disorder.

Lecithin seems to reduce manic symptoms, but this should not be taken in the depressive stage.

A good source book would be

Werbach,M.R.(1991), NUTRITIONAL INFLUENCES ON MENTAL ILLNESS, A Sourcebook of Clinical Research, Third Line Pres, Inc.Tarzana. Cal.

Of course we cannot exclude the psychological aspects, for anger outbursts are also related to a low self-esteem, which tends to put a person on the defensive. Psychological treatment appears to be more difficult, but reading my book Getting Off the Hook (start at page 36) which is freely available on the internet, will help a person.

Please discuss with your therapist.
    dyer2715 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Man I know exactly what you are going through. I am currently with a girl that has the same disorder. She's hits me from time to time when she breaks out but me being a college football player I've taken a lot worse pounding :D . Anyway I have noticed lately she has been having very mad manic attacks and I have tried it all. Leaving her alone, telling her how much I care and staying with her. EVERYTHING! She can go from telling me that I am the most amazing guy in the world and how she's so lucky to what seems like her just hating me. This drive me insane from time to time as well. I'm trying to look past it because when she is fine I've never had a better girlfriend and I love being with her when she's happy. When she's not things do get miserable but just keep your head up man. You are not the only one, maybe we can chat sometime and exchange ideas on how to deal with this.
    Feelings Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 05:16 AM
    Hi, dyer2715 I am in the same situation with my girlfriend... please help me, hope we can chat someday... You can mail me on [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bi-Polar:Is My Experience Relevant To Your Problem? [ 2 Answers ]

BI-POLAR DISORDER IN MY FAMILY AN 80 YEAR STORY IN CONTEXT: 1926-2006 I will begin this account with the earliest experiences of bi-polar disorder or perhaps a mild schizo-affected problem I know of in my mother’s life, experiences that, from what she told me...

What is my deal!! [ 52 Answers ]

Ok guys, things have been going so great with me and this girl lately but I STILL find myself being totally disheartened, or almost unwilling to look at things in a up beat kind of way. Last weekend I hd such a great time with her at the lake with her parents and family... I hung out with her again...

Ok, what is my deal? [ 22 Answers ]

I don't know what is going on upstairs in my head lately, and I am getting pretty confused. I have been out on a few dates over the last 2 months or so, and at first I really like these women, think that they are attractive and what not, but as soon as they start showing interest in me I lose all...

What's the deal? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a very normal person from a menstrual standpoint. I never skip. I only did once and that's when I was pregnant with my 5 year old son. So you can imagine why I'd be confused as to why I'm 2 weeks late now. Yes, I took urine pregnancy tests and alos blood tests. Negative both ways. I'm...

What is the deal? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys! Girls you can join in too!! Why is it that men are so contradicting! This guy I am seeing(I guess) says that he wasn't looking for anything but you know a little... nookie( oh by the way I am 25yrs old, he's 24) but, he goes through the ceiling if another guy mentions that he...

View more questions Search