Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ernieray1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Sears riding mower blade disengagement
    I have a Sears riding mower that engages the blades fine but will not disengage said blades unless I cut it off; then when I restart it the blades are disengaged. There is a spring that provides resistance when I move the lever on the dash to engage the blades; should there be another spring that pulls the blade pulley back away from the belt when I disengage the blades?
    At present the pulley just sits there when I release the lever up top; I've lubricated the pivot point for the bracket that attaches to the pulley; what am I missing?
    mower_man Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

May 28, 2009, 06:01 AM

Provide model #,engine size,cutting width.

Reply Soon!

Mower_Man
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

May 28, 2009, 12:54 PM
    The info that "mower_man" asked for will tell for certain. But, most of the ones I have worked on recently do have a spring from the pulley bracket to the deck on the top of the deck near the front center. There is a small hole in the deck surface that the spring goes into.

May 28, 2009, 04:25 PM

I know what they have! From 1992-1999,ayp used a spring that was not on the deck,but on the pto engagement lever.now:2000-2005 they used a spring on the deck!now:2006+,the spring is on the pto mechanisim!

Reply Soon!

Mower_Man

May 28, 2009, 04:28 PM

If the original poster said "i've lubricated the pivot point"there the mower is made in the:1992-1999 model!

Thanks!

Reply Soon!

Mower_Man

May 28, 2009, 09:59 PM

When I first started fiddling around with the mower at the bottom to figure why it didn't want to disengage I found about 1/2" piece of rusted spring lying on the top of the deck; bet that was the remains of the spring you guys are talking about. Wish I had an owner's or shop manual for my mower. I bought it from Sears 7 or 8 years ago as a "scratch and dent" used model, in other words it had been repaired - so did'nt get a book with it; guess I'll have to buy one plus a spring. What is the PTO mechanism? Thanks much for any response!

May 29, 2009, 04:51 AM

Dose your mower have a elctric pto witch you pull/push a button that starts the deck?

Or dose your mower have a lever on the dash that you push up to start the blades?

Post Back!!

BTW:go to this site:searspartsdirect.com

Get your model number off your mower,witch is located under the seat on a tag!

Reply Soon! And Good Luck!

P.S:Ballengerb1 dose not know his facts!

Mower_Man
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

May 29, 2009, 05:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernieray1 View Post
    There is a spring that provides resistance when I move the lever on the dash to engage the blades; should there be another spring that pulls the blade pulley back away from the belt when I disengage the blades?
    You should be able to get a generic spring from the hardware store to replace the missing one. You can go to the Sears website: searspartdirect.com and put in your model number to see a parts breakdown of what is missing and where it goes.

You can probably get a manual from www.managemyhome.com Just put your model number in the search area to see if there is a manual available.

May 29, 2009, 07:04 AM

Thanks much on how to find my mower/stock number, guesss I'd been sitting on it with my other brain all along! My blade engagement mechanism is a lever up on the dash. I'll go to the suggested sites to find exactly that spring goes and see about getting another one - maybe I can improvise with a generic one from the local Lowe's or somewhere. Thanks again!

May 29, 2009, 08:47 AM

It's a 42" 14.5 hp, model # 917.270532, made in '98.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

Riding mower blade [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an older snapper riding mower, why does the blade rotate when its not engaged?

Sears riding lawnmower blade scalps the ground at any setting [ 3 Answers ]

I have a relatively new Sears Craftsman riding lawnmower. I accidentally ran over a protruding rock last year and ever since then no matter what level I set the blade at, it scalps the ground down to the dirt! I hate to take the mower to a lawnmower repair shop because I know it won't be cheap....

Sears Mower won't start after oil change, blade sharpening & cleaning [ 2 Answers ]

I spent a lot of time sharpening my blade on a 6 month old Sears self-propelled, key start, Briggs & Stratton 6.75 mower (yes I removed it first). While I was doing that I figured I'd clean it up and do an oil change. I tipped it up vertical to get to the blade and clean the underside with my...

Sears Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower Blade adjustment [ 1 Answers ]

My Sears Craftsman 42" cut riding lawnmower has 2 blade decks. With the height adjustment lever in the highest position (or in any position), the left blade/deck cuts lower than the right. How do I adjust the left blade deck/blade to a higher position?l

View more questions Search